The Student Room Group

Advice for Speaking exam?

Hi. Im about to have a Spanish speaking exam in like a few weeks and im quite nervous. there are only 4 non-native speakers in my class, including myself . i know the course is intended for non-natives and my grammar does not have to be perfect but im still very nervous nonetheless. anyways if anyone is in a2 or has alr done a-level spanish id really appreciate any help/ advice/tips <3
Original post by teeviiz
Hi. Im about to have a Spanish speaking exam in like a few weeks and im quite nervous. there are only 4 non-native speakers in my class, including myself . i know the course is intended for non-natives and my grammar does not have to be perfect but im still very nervous nonetheless. anyways if anyone is in a2 or has alr done a-level spanish id really appreciate any help/ advice/tips <3

Hey- I'm also in Year 13 and I'm about to do my speaking mock in March. I have been a little bit nervous as well because I'm worried I won't give myself enough time to learn the stuff and memorise it. However, what has helped me with my practice ones and revision is this:

For the IRP: Write out your IRP in English and give it to someone who does not know it and doesn't really speak Spanish. Recite it to them in English and then get them to ask you a bunch of questions on it based on what they've heard. Also write each paragraph out on flashcards and learn it in sections. There's this app I use called 'Speak' and if you put the IRP into the text box, it'll recite the whole thing for you and you can hear how it should be pronounced. You can change the speed and the pitch as well.

For the speaking cards: It's good to have a wide range of facts from each sub-topic of the module. Also don't limit yourself to Spain only. My go-to countries are Spain, Colombia and Argentina. When doing the 5 minute preparation time, jot down the facts and figures first before you forget them and then work around them. Also don't wait until the end to ask the questions, insert them within the questions you're asked (e.g. Their first question, your first question, their second question, your second question, their final question). This will help it to have a much more conversational flow and feel.

I hope this helps and let me know how it goes. I wish you all the best.
Reply 2
Original post by evakesiax
Hey- I'm also in Year 13 and I'm about to do my speaking mock in March. I have been a little bit nervous as well because I'm worried I won't give myself enough time to learn the stuff and memorise it. However, what has helped me with my practice ones and revision is this:

For the IRP: Write out your IRP in English and give it to someone who does not know it and doesn't really speak Spanish. Recite it to them in English and then get them to ask you a bunch of questions on it based on what they've heard. Also write each paragraph out on flashcards and learn it in sections. There's this app I use called 'Speak' and if you put the IRP into the text box, it'll recite the whole thing for you and you can hear how it should be pronounced. You can change the speed and the pitch as well.

For the speaking cards: It's good to have a wide range of facts from each sub-topic of the module. Also don't limit yourself to Spain only. My go-to countries are Spain, Colombia and Argentina. When doing the 5 minute preparation time, jot down the facts and figures first before you forget them and then work around them. Also don't wait until the end to ask the questions, insert them within the questions you're asked (e.g. Their first question, your first question, their second question, your second question, their final question). This will help it to have a much more conversational flow and feel.

I hope this helps and let me know how it goes. I wish you all the best.

thanks for the advice! i often struggle to get the statistics that i memorise into what im trying to say. but thank you!! also i havent been told about the IRP by my teacher but i have heard of it. what it is it about and do you have to do it in front of everyone?
If you’re struggling with the statistics, I can send you all of mine from year 12 and year 13- ive tailored them to the new adjustments they’ve given us.
The IRP is your research project. You have to research a question or statement and give a presentation on it for 2 minutes and have about 8 minutes of question time. It’ll be done in the speaking exam with only the teacher/external examiner so no one else will be in the room
Reply 4
If you’re struggling with the statistics, I can send you all of mine from year 12 and year 13- ive tailored them to the new adjustments they’ve given us.
The IRP is your research project. You have to research a question or statement and give a presentation on it for 2 minutes and have about 8 minutes of question time. It’ll be done in the speaking exam with only the teacher/external examiner so no one else will be in the room

yes please if u dont mind! & thx 4 the info! really helpful
Original post by teeviiz
yes please if u dont mind! & thx 4 the info! really helpful

Np how would you like me to send it because it’s a word document
Reply 6
Np how would you like me to send it because it’s a word document

pm?
Reply 7

Hey, thanks so much for your advice on the speaking exam, it's really useful! Would you be able to send me your statistics too, please?
Original post by elsieamy
Hey, thanks so much for your advice on the speaking exam, it's really useful! Would you be able to send me your statistics too, please?

Hey sure- but I can’t pm it to you so would you be okay sending me your email address and I’ll send it that way
Reply 9
Hey sure- but I can’t pm it to you so would you be okay sending me your email address and I’ll send it that way

It won't let me send my email address in a message because it goes against tsr guidelines but I should be able to send and receive pms now. No worries if not!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending