What happens if I don't submit an assignment?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Second year student.

I've applied for automatic mitigating circumstances for a particular module, been granted it and have failed to submit in time for the new submission date.

From what I understand it's now been so long that even if my essay is of high quality, accounting for the reduced marks due to late submission, I will certainly fail and therefore have to resubmit a new essay in the summer.

What I would like to do in that case, is not submit anything, then when I inevitably fail the module, I can hand the essay I've already written in for the re-submission. (I'm aware that I would be capped at 40%)

Does anyone know if this is possible, or if this becomes void if you fail to submit anything?

I've had a look on the SOAS website and found this;

"If you have failed one or more of your modules, you will be automatically re-entered to sit any failed assessment (examination, coursework etc - provided it is repeatable) at the next available occasion."

and

"Students who are resitting failed coursework must complete new coursework for the module and must not re-use assignments which have been submitted previously for that or any other module."

I haven't been able to find a solid answer yet, so if anyone knows if this is possible before I ask the question the Uni that'd be great. Obviously I don't want to essentially throw away a decent essay that will automatically fail, just to have to do a bunch of new research and thousands of words again!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Have you since gotten a response from the university, since I am currently in a similar predicament?
umbrellala
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Second year student.

I've applied for automatic mitigating circumstances for a particular module, been granted it and have failed to submit in time for the new submission date.

From what I understand it's now been so long that even if my essay is of high quality, accounting for the reduced marks due to late submission, I will certainly fail and therefore have to resubmit a new essay in the summer.

What I would like to do in that case, is not submit anything, then when I inevitably fail the module, I can hand the essay I've already written in for the re-submission. (I'm aware that I would be capped at 40%)

Does anyone know if this is possible, or if this becomes void if you fail to submit anything?

I've had a look on the SOAS website and found this;

"If you have failed one or more of your modules, you will be automatically re-entered to sit any failed assessment (examination, coursework etc - provided it is repeatable) at the next available occasion."

and

"Students who are resitting failed coursework must complete new coursework for the module and must not re-use assignments which have been submitted previously for that or any other module."

I haven't been able to find a solid answer yet, so if anyone knows if this is possible before I ask the question the Uni that'd be great. Obviously I don't want to essentially throw away a decent essay that will automatically fail, just to have to do a bunch of new research and thousands of words again!
My understanding is that when you re-sit assessments you are given totally new questions so whatever you've written so far will be redundant. If you don't submit anything by the school deadline which is tomorrow (6th May) at midnight then you should be re-entered automatically. This will be capped at 40% *unless* you've received a 28-day extension with option for uncapped resubmission. Then again, this is just my anecdotal experience so definitely book an appointment with the Student Hub to work out exactly what's going on - it's unlikely you'll get an appointment before the school deadline tomorrow though
umbrellala
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Have you since gotten a response from the university, since I am currently in a similar predicament?
See my response above
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (39)
26.71%
As I expected (47)
32.19%
Harder (53)
36.3%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.79%

Watched Threads