The Student Room Group

Failed Safe Medicate by 1 mark

At the end of my second year of my nursing degree and I failed the safe medicate exam by one mark I was able to repeat it and failed again and now I have been asked to step off the course permanently as I'm not allowed to anymore attempts to sit the safe medicate exam . I feel like I've wasted 2 years I passed everything else apart from this😢 was just wondering has anyone else been made step off the course and were you able to get credits from the first 2 years of the degree to carry over to
another course maybe. Gutted mature student nurse here 💔
:frown: I'm sorry to hear that.:sad:
Sending love and support :hugs:

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Chris79
At the end of my second year of my nursing degree and I failed the safe medicate exam by one mark I was able to repeat it and failed again and now I have been asked to step off the course permanently as I'm not allowed to anymore attempts to sit the safe medicate exam . I feel like I've wasted 2 years I passed everything else apart from this😢 was just wondering has anyone else been made step off the course and were you able to get credits from the first 2 years of the degree to carry over to

Really sorry to hear that - it must be gutting for you. If you have passed 240 credits, including 120 at level 5, you're usually eligible for a diploma of higher education, or Dip.HE. As well as being a qualification in its own right, this should allow you to use at least some of the credit for the modules taken as APL (accreditation for prior learning) on any subsequent course you take, although as this is a regulated course, there will be a lot of detail as to exact what you can use and its 'shelf-life'.

Tagging in @moonkatt, @Tracey_W , and @Emily_B as knowledgeable people :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
Really sorry to hear that - it must be gutting for you. If you have passed 240 credits, including 120 at level 5, you're usually eligible for a diploma of higher education, or Dip.HE. As well as being a qualification in its own right, this should allow you to use at least some of the credit for the modules taken as APL (accreditation for prior learning) on any subsequent course you take, although as this is a regulated course, there will be a lot of detail as to exact what you can use and its 'shelf-life'.

Tagging in @moonkatt, @Tracey_W , and @Emily_B as knowledgeable people :smile:

Thanks for your reply.
Original post by Chris79

I'm sorry to hear about your exam. Have you spoken to your personal tutor (or whatever they call them these days) and been told you have to step off the course? If not, that's the first thing to explore with them. Next will be to see what your options are, see what exit award they will give you and see if the university has someone you can talk to about your options going forwards. Your university should have careers advisors who might be able to help here.

@Reality Check thanks for the tag buddy.
Original post by Chris79

Sorry to hear you failed by only one mark.
First of all don't yet give up okay.
I understand you may feel gutted / upset on this but you won't be the only student nurse who failed things on the course but you need to keep strong and talk things over with your course leader/student union rep and all bodies involved to get a resolution on things for you, I would get in touch with those ASAP.

Majority of universities gives student nurses at least one more attempt to resit any failed exams, similar when they get failed on placement.
They are strict on students passing there exams due to unfortunate nature of the job that all fields of nurses work in especially if you are handling drugs / medicines etc.

Personally I would start with talking to your course leader/tutor at university about this and ask them to explain why you being asked to step off the course.
There's the appeal process you could go through with this as get in touch with your university student union rep and get there advice on what to do next.

Plus like moonkatt said about see what your exit awards you got so far would give you going forward.

A registered midwife xx
Original post by moonkatt
I'm sorry to hear about your exam. Have you spoken to your personal tutor (or whatever they call them these days) and been told you have to step off the course? If not, that's the first thing to explore with them. Next will be to see what your options are, see what exit award they will give you and see if the university has someone you can talk to about your options going forwards. Your university should have careers advisors who might be able to help here.

Thank you @Reality Check for tagging me this x
Reply 6
Original post by moonkatt

Thanks for your reply. Yes was talking with my personal tutor and also got a letter from the board of examiners saying I was not going to be allowed to have another attempt as that was a repeat. And had to step of the course permanently. 😢
Original post by Chris79
Thanks for your reply. Yes was talking with my personal tutor and also got a letter from the board of examiners saying I was not going to be allowed to have another attempt as that was a repeat. And had to step of the course permanently. 😢

I would consult your union and appeal. Things have not exactly been normal recently ...
Original post by Chris79

Strong agree with Muttley here, have a chat with your union if you're in one (RCN, unison etc) if you're not speak to your student's union and see if they can help you out.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Chris79

Can you please give me an idea of what the exam is like? We’ve been told the exam is online and once we start it- we have an hour to do it. Did you do it from home? Are they all online? I’m not very good at focusing on screens
Reply 10
Original post by Chris79

Hi, can you explain the exam to me please. Did you do it online? And is it through your safe medicate account. Are all of them done online. Mines coming up soon I’m terrified 😩

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending