The Student Room Group

wrong a levels?

about 2 weeks ago I dropped history a level and now i’m doing art, politics and english literature + epq. however, now I think that i’d like to get a history degree (something like english and history or history and politics). I’ve looked and I know that Kings College and Edinburgh don’t require history as an a level, but would it put me at a major disadvantage if I didn’t do it for an a level and would my current a levels look bad against an applicant with history, politics and english? thank you!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
bump
Original post by moappa
bump

You don't need to bump a thread 20 minutes after you made it - you should only bump a thread once a day, and at least 12 hours after you made it, unless it has dropped off the front page of the forum you posted it in.

That aside, not all history degrees require A-level History, and most that don't explicitly require it will not view not taking it as a disadvantage. However, you may want to consider why you are looking at doing a history degree after you dropped the A-level - surely there is a reason you didn't want to continue with the A-level? I'd be surprised if the thing you took issue with in the A-level isn't also going to be in the degree course.

I think you should reflect on why you chose to drop it rather than e.g. politics (which isn't required for any degree course), and whether a history degree is actually going to be a good option for you compared to another degree subject. There are also other historical courses that aren't specifically history which may suit your interests and importantly, aptitudes better; for example, archaeology, history of art, classics, Egyptology, perhaps philosophy if it's very focused on the history of philosophy, many "regional studies" such as East Asian Studies, or language degrees may include a fair bit of history for countries speaking the target language(s), etc.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by moappa
about 2 weeks ago I dropped history a level and now i’m doing art, politics and english literature + epq. however, now I think that i’d like to get a history degree (something like english and history or history and politics). I’ve looked and I know that Kings College and Edinburgh don’t require history as an a level, but would it put me at a major disadvantage if I didn’t do it for an a level and would my current a levels look bad against an applicant with history, politics and english? thank you!

Hi!
My understanding is that you would not be at any disadvantage as everything you will need to know will be covered or you will likely be signposted to where you can develop your knowledge. There are many students that do not do the A levels of the subject they want to study for and still go on to do well in the degree. I would not think you would be viewed any differently to a candidate with different A Levels.

Hope that helps!
Eleanor
- Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest