What is classed as household income for student maintenance loan?

Watch this thread
HippyChick04
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi,
Will be applying for student finance once it opens but from a single parent household whose parent works & receives child tax credits & child benefit & child maintenance.
When mum fills out her part of student finance form for me....Are child tax credits, child benefit and child maintenance classed as part of her income?
We aren't sure if they are esp as once I leave college Mum will stop receiving all three of these and her income will only be her wages.
Please help
University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by HippyChick04)
Hi,
Will be applying for student finance once it opens but from a single parent household whose parent works & receives child tax credits & child benefit & child maintenance.
When mum fills out her part of student finance form for me....Are child tax credits, child benefit and child maintenance classed as part of her income?
We aren't sure if they are esp as once I leave college Mum will stop receiving all three of these and her income will only be her wages.
Please help
Hi HippyChick04

Your best bet is to call Student Finance England and ask them! At least that way you'll be sure you're getting accurate information.

All the best with your university journey!☺️
-Rebecca, 3rd Year Psychology Student
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Hi,
Please help
(Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep)
Hi HippyChick04

Your best bet is to call Student Finance England and ask them! At least that way you'll be sure you're getting accurate information.

All the best with your university journey!☺️
-Rebecca, 3rd Year Psychology Student
Hi, we need to know about all taxable income and taxable benefits.

Taxable Income

Interest from a bank, building society or local authority, this source of income may not reach or exceed the applicable tax free personal allowance should still be declared*
Interest from National Savings (other than first £70 of National Savings Ordinary Account interest) and Investments
Interest distributions from authorised unit trusts and open-ended investment companies*
Dividends from shares, UK authorised unit trusts and open-ended investment companies*
Pensions including private pensions, state pension, pensions from previous employers, personal pensions, retirement annuities and superannuations
Other income and lump sums (Pension lump sums, pension payment or redundancy payments)
Earnings from employment
Earnings from self-employment (After deduction of allowable expenses)**
Self Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS)
Rent from letting property
Income from the 'Rent a Room' scheme
Income from taxable benefits in kind
Chargeable event gains from life insurance policies (Excludes lump sums)
Income from outside the UK
Share of joint income
Foster Care Payments

Taxable Benefits

Bereavement Allowance, this replaced the Widows Pension from 09/04/2001 (Widows Pension is still paid if entitlement was agreed prior to 09/04/2001)
Bereavement Benefit
Care Allowance
Contributory based Employment Support Allowance (ESA)
Income Support when paid to strikers or people involved in a trade dispute
Incapacity Benefit over 28 weeks. If awarded prior to 13/04/1995 this is non taxable for the full duration and was previously known as Invalidity Benefit
Pensions payable under the Industrial Death Benefit Scheme
Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
Retirement Pension including state pension
Statutory Adoption Pay
Statutory Sick Pay
Statutory Maternity Pay
Statutory Paternity Pay
Widowed Parents Allowance

We do not need to know about any non taxable income or benefits

Non Taxable Income

Income from tax-free National Savings and Investments (Savings certificates)
Interest, dividends and other income from investments held in a Personal Equity Plan (PEP)
Interest, dividends and bonuses from a Tax Exempt Special Savings Account (TESSA), unless it was closed before the five years were up
Interest, dividends and other income from an Individual Savings Account (ISA)
Interest and terminal bonuses under the Save As You Earn schemes
Premium Bonds, National Lottery winnings or gambling prizes
Child and Working Tax Credits
Income from a scholarship, stipend, exhibition, bursary or similar educational endowment
Capital Gain or Capital Allowance figures, usually declared on business accounts or tax returns
Payment Protection Insurance rebates
Life insurance policy lump sums (Including endowment policies)
Student Finance Payments

Non Taxable Benefits

Attendance Allowance
Back to Work Bonus
Bereavement Payment, this replaced the Widows Payment from 09/04/2001
Child Benefit previously known as Family Allowances
Child Tax Credit
Childs Special Allowance
Cold weather payments
Council Tax Benefit
Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
Disability Premiums
Disabled Persons Tax Credit, now part of Working Tax Credit
Income Based Employment Support Allowance (ESA)
Exceptionally Severe Disablement allowance
Guardians Allowance
Housing benefit
Incapacity Benefit for the first 28 weeks of entitlement is non taxable. If awarded prior to 13/04/1995 this is non taxable for the full duration and was previously known as Invalidity Benefit
Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
Income Support
Maternity Allowance
Pension Credit
Pensioners Christmas Bonus
Personal Independence Payment (PIP), this was previously known as Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
Social Fund payments to people on a low income to help with maternity expenses, funeral costs, financial crisis and community care grants and any interest free loans paid out
Universal Credit
War Widows Pension
War Disablement Pension
Winter Fuel Payment
Working Tax Credit

Child maintenance payments should go under the childs income on the sponsor dependants section, child maintenance payments shouldn't be put as your mums income.

Thanks, Isaac
Last edited by SFE Isaac; 6 months ago
HippyChick04
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, we need to know about all taxable income and taxable benefits.

Taxable Income

Interest from a bank, building society or local authority, this source of income may not reach or exceed the applicable tax free personal allowance should still be declared*
Interest from National Savings (other than first £70 of National Savings Ordinary Account interest) and Investments
Interest distributions from authorised unit trusts and open-ended investment companies*
Dividends from shares, UK authorised unit trusts and open-ended investment companies*
Pensions including private pensions, state pension, pensions from previous employers, personal pensions, retirement annuities and superannuations
Other income and lump sums (Pension lump sums, pension payment or redundancy payments)
Earnings from employment
Earnings from self-employment (After deduction of allowable expenses)**
Self Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS)
Rent from letting property
Income from the 'Rent a Room' scheme
Income from taxable benefits in kind
Chargeable event gains from life insurance policies (Excludes lump sums)
Income from outside the UK
Share of joint income
Foster Care Payments

Taxable Benefits

Bereavement Allowance, this replaced the Widows Pension from 09/04/2001 (Widows Pension is still paid if entitlement was agreed prior to 09/04/2001)
Bereavement Benefit
Care Allowance
Contributory based Employment Support Allowance (ESA)
Income Support when paid to strikers or people involved in a trade dispute
Incapacity Benefit over 28 weeks. If awarded prior to 13/04/1995 this is non taxable for the full duration and was previously known as Invalidity Benefit
Pensions payable under the Industrial Death Benefit Scheme
Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
Retirement Pension including state pension
Statutory Adoption Pay
Statutory Sick Pay
Statutory Maternity Pay
Statutory Paternity Pay
Widowed Parents Allowance

We do not need to know about any non taxable income or benefits

Non Taxable Income

Income from tax-free National Savings and Investments (Savings certificates)
Interest, dividends and other income from investments held in a Personal Equity Plan (PEP)
Interest, dividends and bonuses from a Tax Exempt Special Savings Account (TESSA), unless it was closed before the five years were up
Interest, dividends and other income from an Individual Savings Account (ISA)
Interest and terminal bonuses under the Save As You Earn schemes
Premium Bonds, National Lottery winnings or gambling prizes
Child and Working Tax Credits
Income from a scholarship, stipend, exhibition, bursary or similar educational endowment
Capital Gain or Capital Allowance figures, usually declared on business accounts or tax returns
Payment Protection Insurance rebates
Life insurance policy lump sums (Including endowment policies)
Student Finance Payments

Non Taxable Benefits

Attendance Allowance
Back to Work Bonus
Bereavement Payment, this replaced the Widows Payment from 09/04/2001
Child Benefit previously known as Family Allowances
Child Tax Credit
Childs Special Allowance
Cold weather payments
Council Tax Benefit
Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
Disability Premiums
Disabled Persons Tax Credit, now part of Working Tax Credit
Income Based Employment Support Allowance (ESA)
Exceptionally Severe Disablement allowance
Guardians Allowance
Housing benefit
Incapacity Benefit for the first 28 weeks of entitlement is non taxable. If awarded prior to 13/04/1995 this is non taxable for the full duration and was previously known as Invalidity Benefit
Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
Income Support
Maternity Allowance
Pension Credit
Pensioners Christmas Bonus
Personal Independence Payment (PIP), this was previously known as Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
Social Fund payments to people on a low income to help with maternity expenses, funeral costs, financial crisis and community care grants and any interest free loans paid out
Universal Credit
War Widows Pension
War Disablement Pension
Winter Fuel Payment
Working Tax Credit

Child maintenance payments should go under the childs income on the sponsor dependants section, child maintenance payments shouldn't be put as your mums income.

Thanks, Isaac
To clarify child maintenance mum receives for me goes under my income? What is a sponsor dependant? As I'm the only dependent mum has and child maintenance currently received will stop once I've left college.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
To clarify child maintenance mum receives for me goes under my income? What is a sponsor dependant? As I'm the only dependent mum has and child maintenance currently received will stop once I've left college.
No.

On the sponsor dependents page, it has space for your mum to add names of all other dependents and their income. For their income (if you have siblings) then any maintenance payment should be input as the income.

As you state you are the only child/dependant, this doesn't apply to you.

Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (112)
40.58%
They're exactly what I expected (66)