Step up from GCSE - A level chemistry

Watch this thread
LN_05
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I’ve heard everywhere that almost everything taught at GCSE chem is a lie and A level chemistry is completely different.

I’m aware that the step up is harder, but how much is it?

Currently, I’m getting 9s in Chemistry and probably for GCSE too, and I do revise hours on it. But I’m quite worried to even scrape an A grade at A levels. Is it also true that the 9-1 specs make transition shift more comfortable?

Thank you!
Last edited by LN_05; 4 months ago
boyscoutsreject
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
I’m in year 12, got a 9 in GCSE chemistry and now I’m taking A level chemistry. I definitely think the 9-1 system makes the shift easier, but it’s still very different. The difference I found between A level and GCSE is that you actually need to spend a bjt of time understanding the content. It’s no longer essentially just a list of facts that you memorise then regurgitate in the exam.

Considering your grades, I’m sure you won’t have a problem. I’ve been keeping up with the work, putting in a little extra after school, and I’m on track for an A*. Do the same and you’ll be fine.
Abzdot
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I’m in y13 doing A level Physics. IMHO, I never really experienced the “gcse to a level jump”, it seemed quite straightforward. But the jump from AS to A2 was much more pronounced. The A2 content seems more complicated and requires more understanding. However, this is for A level physics, not chemistry so YMMV.
CharlesT47
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
For me at least (Y13), I found GCSE chem to be really easy and so naturally I thought I could do the minimal work and still get a top grade at A level. Suprise, suprise, a level was a real step up and I discovered I had to put in a solid chunk of time to properly understand the material. After that though, things became a lot easier. Got prediced A* and achieved an A* in the mock. It's manageable but do be prepared to put in the work
daniellemill
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Everywhere you need to delve into and learn! I love to learn and learn a lot of new and interesting things!
foreverrocking
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by LN_05)
I’ve heard everywhere that almost everything taught at GCSE chem is a lie and A level chemistry is completely different.

I’m aware that the step up is harder, but how much is it?

Currently, I’m getting 9s in Chemistry and probably for GCSE too, and I do revise hours on it. But I’m quite worried to even scrape an A grade at A levels. Is it also true that the 9-1 specs make transition shift more comfortable?

Thank you!
I am As chemistry and currently in year 12.Suprisingly,I am not finding chemistry a level that bad (perhaps it gets worse in year 13 )but it takes time and lots of practice questions for the content to click because of the depth of the content that you need to learn. There is a lot of overlap with chemistry a level and chemistry GCSE like explaining why covalent bonds are strong which makes it good.
I think if you are putting the time and effort into your subjects then you are hardworking person.Hard work is what you need to ace your exams in chemistry A level,so don't worry too much about struggling to scrape As at A level
Last edited by foreverrocking; 4 months ago
LN_05
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Thank you everyone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (40)
31.75%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (58)
46.03%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (27)
21.43%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.79%

Watched Threads