The Student Room Group

how to stop living in the past

how can i stop living in the past and regretting things i did and didn't do. i'm only 18 but i'm just constantly regretting things i could've done in the past and have this mindset that "it's too late now". like i have a friend who taught her self how to code 3 years ago and now she makes alot of money being a web developer, same age as me. one of my friends is amazing at drawing, one is amazing at piano and is a hip hop dancer, etc etc. these are all hobbies that i've picked up in the past and quit (probably due to adhd). and now i just hate myself because if i carried on even one hobby i would actually have a talent now. i just constantly am living in regret, like wishing i kept that hobby of programming i started at 13 or that hobby of digital art at 15 etc etc. i am just drowning in self pity right now and i hate it
The past has already gone and nobody can change that. However, there is no such thing as 'too late now' because there will always be the opportunity to start now. Begin small and stay consistent and hopefully you can look back in the future with less regrets. Results are never immediate and people nearly always regret what didn't do, rather than what they did do. Do not compare yourself to others, but instead think about how you can improve only yourself little by little everyday from now on. Best of luck
Original post by Anonymous
how can i stop living in the past and regretting things i did and didn't do. i'm only 18 but i'm just constantly regretting things i could've done in the past and have this mindset that "it's too late now". like i have a friend who taught her self how to code 3 years ago and now she makes alot of money being a web developer, same age as me. one of my friends is amazing at drawing, one is amazing at piano and is a hip hop dancer, etc etc. these are all hobbies that i've picked up in the past and quit (probably due to adhd). and now i just hate myself because if i carried on even one hobby i would actually have a talent now. i just constantly am living in regret, like wishing i kept that hobby of programming i started at 13 or that hobby of digital art at 15 etc etc. i am just drowning in self pity right now and i hate it

u probably dropped those hobbies partly because you were thinking 'its too late now' even age 15 - but imagine how you'll feel 3 years from now. I bet in the 80s when digital computer tech was just developing there were ppl who started coding age 18 and are like experts and .com millionaires now. Just give coding ago it's not too late - and the worst thing that can happen if u stick at it is that you'll learn something even if some ppl are better than u, you'll be waaay better than the average person.

It's like that little factoid that you only need to read 2 books on a subject to know more than 99% of the population. So stop thinking abt ur friend and spend ur time better each and every day

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending