The Student Room Group

chemistry help a level

Hi wondering if anyone can help me with this -
Why is the melting point of Sodium higher than that of phosphorus or sulfur?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel
Think about the type of bonding in Na vs S8 (sulfur) and P4 (phosphorus). Hint about the latter 2 compounds is the number of atoms present.
Oh BTW my response is about the order overall but obviously still makes sense for Na over the other 2 when u start thinking about bonding
Reply 3
Original post by Muhammad Razak
Oh BTW my response is about the order overall but obviously still makes sense for Na over the other 2 when u start thinking about bonding

jazakallah khair
Original post by danhas20
jazakallah khair

وإياك
بارك الله فيك
They tend to ask about overall order that's y I mentioned the fact that it's S8 vs P4 bc that may be handy. If u need any chem help drop me a msg, I'm studying it at uni الحمد لله
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
بارك الله فيك
They tend to ask about overall order that's y I mentioned the fact that it's S8 vs P4 bc that may be handy. If u need any chem help drop me a msg, I'm studying it at uni الحمد لله

tysm, im year 12. take care and you might receive a few more messages from me ان شاء اللهhehehe
tysm, im year 12. take care and you might receive a few more messages from me ان شاء اللهhehehe

Hahaha I assumed u were and np. I'll answer them when I take some breaks inshaaAllah.

Exam board?
Reply 8
Exam board?

ocr
ocr

A or B?
Reply 10
A or B?

a. ive heard it gets painful year 2. god willing i make it through alive😭
Reply 11
Think about the type of bonding in Na vs S8 (sulfur) and P4 (phosphorus). Hint about the latter 2 compounds is the number of atoms present.

sorry to be a pain, but just to be clear. are you talking about london forces here?
a. ive heard it gets painful year 2. god willing i make it through alive😭

Honestly ain't that bad. I fumbled it tho coz I was doing really well الحمد لله but come exam time (2019) I made some booky (weird) mistakes. Basically I was like mentally not there. idk what happened. Like I was depressed. Exam on Eid and 1 mark off A* lol. They done me dirty. But there's a blessing in everything coz now I'm not at a uni I wouldn't like (certain colleges) الحمد لله. Lesson is don't stress coz whatever happens is gonna happen by the will of Allah. Hidden blessing.
Reply 13
Honestly ain't that bad. I fumbled it tho coz I was doing really well الحمد لله but come exam time (2019) I made some booky (weird) mistakes. Basically I was like mentally not there. idk what happened. Like I was depressed. Exam on Eid and 1 mark off A* lol. They done me dirty. But there's a blessing in everything coz now I'm not at a uni I wouldn't like (certain colleges) الحمد لله. Lesson is don't stress coz whatever happens is gonna happen by the will of Allah. Hidden blessing.

1 mark off is peakkkk. well done tho,A is still mad. If I scrape thru w a B. Happy days
sorry to be a pain, but just to be clear. are you talking about london forces here?

Yes IMI (intermolecular interactions). For Na it's metallic bonding so much stronger than IMI. In the case of S8 and P4 as they r symmetrical and cancel out so yes only London dispersion forces. However as S has 8 atoms vs 4 it's London forces are stronger and therefore 2nd highest out of the 3.
1 mark off is peakkkk. well done tho,A is still mad. If I scrape thru w a B. Happy days

My year they made the exams harder. Past papers I smashed الحمد لله but we move. I didn't get A* bc of stupid mistakes and I think it's bc Allah protected me. I got closer to Allah coz I went uni closer to home الحمد لله
Reply 17
Bro tysm, have a test tomorrow. Take care Inshallah and I wld love to speak to u again, take care, u saved me. Tyyyy

Quick Reply