Compare 'My Last duchess' and 'Ozymandias' explore power

Watch this thread
ja_sushii
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
How do you compare the power between the Duke and the Ozymandias Kings of Kings? I'm really struggling with comparing similarly cause my teacher said we can't use our anthology for our practice test because of exams any suggestions for help please?
Last edited by ja_sushii; 4 months ago
Anita16
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
in Ozymandias, his power is lost as it disintegrates into the sand and diminishing his worth. but, in my last duchess, he is gaining power through him commanding the wife and reader both.
In ‘Ozymandias’ Shelley has used a sonnet with the Octave which has 8 lines and the sestet which has 6 lines. The octave talks about the image of the statue while the sestet talks about the personality of Ozymandias. Ironically, Sonnet is a love poem so Shelley attacks Ozymandias for self-love therefore not using his power to help people. In ‘My Last Duchess’ Browning has used Dramatic monologue as the form in ‘My Last Duchess’ this conveys how we do not get a reply of the witness who is representative of the count suggesting the Duke’s importance.
In ‘Ozymandias’ Shelley has used volta at the end of an octet “The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed” This is the use of metaphor. Ozymandias has “mocked” his people, and maintained his power through symbolic cannibalism, as he “fed” on his people. However, Shelley possibly is talking about the sculptor as the sculptor skilfully mocked Ozymandias by carving such damaging portrayal of him “wrinkled lip” and “sneer” this conveys Ozymandias real personality. The sculptor’s heart comes from his art. Shelley points out the emotional impact of the sculptor’s art because the sculptor does not feed on others, but art feeds others. The sculptor’s art is a gift because it has stayed over thousands of years. Shelley is trying to make a point to his readers that power can never defeat art. However, Ozymandias was in power and he got away with mocking people and feeding on them. Shelley is trying to make a point to his readers to let go of dictators
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.92%
As I expected (24)
30.77%
Harder (29)
37.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.13%

Watched Threads