The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Exchange at U of Edinburgh!

Hello Scots! I was nominated today by my university, McGill University in Montreal, Canada, to come to your uni this Fall. I am very excited, and have many, many questions.My first question concerns in-person teaching and Scotland's COVID restrictions. I saw on the uni website that you have a 'mix of in-person and online'. Does this mean most courses in-person, but larger classes (something like >200 people) are online? I know England COVID rules are mostly gone, even masks. Do whatever COVID rules the government come up with for England apply for Scotland too?My next questions regard residences. Which one is the best? At McGill I never stayed in a dorm, so I never got that experience. Which dorm is the most 'university-like', the kind you would see a college kid on TV living in? How far away are the dorms, and if they are far, what is Edinburgh's transportation network like? Is the meal plan any good? I don't think I would love haggis.Also, do you guys use this website more than the U of Edinburgh Reddit? We don't have thestudentroom in Canada.Thanks for your answers! I'm sure I'll have many more questions posted here in the coming months.
Original post by McGillMaster
Hello Scots! I was nominated today by my university, McGill University in Montreal, Canada, to come to your uni this Fall. I am very excited, and have many, many questions.My first question concerns in-person teaching and Scotland's COVID restrictions. I saw on the uni website that you have a 'mix of in-person and online'. Does this mean most courses in-person, but larger classes (something like >200 people) are online? I know England COVID rules are mostly gone, even masks. Do whatever COVID rules the government come up with for England apply for Scotland too?My next questions regard residences. Which one is the best? At McGill I never stayed in a dorm, so I never got that experience. Which dorm is the most 'university-like', the kind you would see a college kid on TV living in? How far away are the dorms, and if they are far, what is Edinburgh's transportation network like? Is the meal plan any good? I don't think I would love haggis.Also, do you guys use this website more than the U of Edinburgh Reddit? We don't have thestudentroom in Canada.Thanks for your answers! I'm sure I'll have many more questions posted here in the coming months.

Hiya, sorry you didn't get a reply to this.

I'm not an Edinburgh student but I can help you with a couple of points.
Firstly - Covid rules for England are not the same for Scotland. You want to watch whatever Nicola Sturgeon (Scotland's first minister) is saying rather than Boris Johnson.

Second, Edinburgh is a large city with solid transport links. Tricky thing is that because the city is so old there can be very intense traffic build up of vehicles - on roads that were originally built for horses and carts to be on. So do bear that in mind.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Does this mean larger classes are online? - Currently the vast majority of classes are in person. My largest lecture has maybe 100 people in it and that's in person. not sure what's still online tbh

England rules for Scotland? - as @04MR17 said, no.

Which accommodation is best? - No idea, depends on what you're looking for. not sure what kind of uni stuff you'd have seen on TV. I'd always recommend self catered over catered but it's mostly due to personal preference

Transportation? - Edinburgh is a very small city. unless you end up in some strange far away accommodation, you will be walking to uni. unless you're a science student based at kings buildings in which case there's a shuttle bus. the city buses are pretty good - you can pay by contactless card if you have that

By meal plan I assume you mean catered accomodation - I wasn't in catered so I can't judge. I'd never personally choose it because I'd rather cook for myself

Use this website? - No. Very few people that actually go to the uni use this website. this is mostly used by people applying to the uni to find out information. there are Facebook groups for new students etc and there's a wider uptake with societies and accommodation using Instagram and WhatsApp groups. you're better off seeking information and communities there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending