Hops23
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
With reference to the induced fit model, describe how the tertiary structure of a named enzyme facilitates its function as a biological catalyst (A-level).

Can someone pls help, im so confuse rn.
Kim J
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Hops23)
With reference to the induced fit model, describe how the tertiary structure of a named enzyme facilitates its function as a biological catalyst (A-level).

Basically, we know that enzymes have an active site where specific substrates bind forming an enzyme-substrate complex
and that the active site of an enzyme has a specific shape to fit a specific substrate. This is the most important process for enzyme action.

So the shape of the active site is determined by the complex tertiary structure of the protein that makes up the enzyme:
- Proteins are formed from chains of amino acids held together by peptide bonds
- The order of amino acids determines the shape of an enzyme
- If the order is altered, the resulting three-dimensional shape changes

How the tertiary structure (and shape of active site) links to the ‘induced-fit hypothesis’:

- The enzyme and its active site (and sometimes the substrate) can change shape slightly as the substrate molecule enters the enzyme
- These changes in shape are known as conformational changes
- This ensures an ideal binding arrangement between the enzyme and substrate is achieved
- This maximises the ability of the enzyme to catalyse the reaction

I hope this helps!
Here are 2 links which I used to explain it to you (since i found them useful when I was learning this topic). They contain diagrams and have a more detailed explanation which you might find useful for a deeper understanding.
- https://www.savemyexams.co.uk/a-leve...-enzymes-work/ (about the tertiary structure and why it is important for enzyme action)
- https://www.savemyexams.co.uk/a-leve...-enzymes-work/ (about the induced fit hypothesis and why the active site is important for this to work)
Last edited by Kim J; 5 months ago
redbeard45
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Hops23)

Hello! I'm really struggling with this question at the moment. I was just wondering if you managed to complete it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (20)
74.07%
In the post (2)
7.41%
Text (3)
11.11%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
7.41%

Watched Threads