The Student Room Group

Parents want me to take this course and I am confused

Hi I am 15. My parents really want me to take the extended animal management/sciences diploma level 3 which is a two year course and the college does have a wide range of animals which is very fascinating and interesting for me. If I take this I would want to become a Dog Behaviourist and would taking a Animal Science degree and Top Up allow me to be that? But if it doesn't I would happily work for the RSPCA.

Or I have the option to choose the extended diploma in health & social care at level 3 and I could become a mental health nurse or a social worker but ideally a mental health nurse as I like the idea of helping those people in those situations.

What do you think would be the best choice for me as I'm struggling to pick? Does anyone have any experiences in these two courses?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I am 15. My parents really want me to take the extended animal management/sciences diploma level 3 which is a two year course and the college does have a wide range of animals which is very fascinating and interesting for me. If I take this I would want to become a Dog Behaviourist and would taking a Animal Science degree and Top Up allow me to be that? But if it doesn't I would happily work for the RSPCA.

Or I have the option to choose the extended diploma in health & social care at level 3 and I could become a mental health nurse or a social worker but ideally a mental health nurse as I like the idea of helping those people in those situations.

What do you think would be the best choice for me as I'm struggling to pick? Does anyone have any experiences in these two courses?

Have you done any work experience in either field.What GCSE's would you be expecting.You should really talk to the careers person at school if possible.You can google Dog Behaviourist Qualifications and find out what is required that way.You could also talk to the college admissions team and maybe go to an open day ditto the other course.
Reply 2
Original post by Scotney
Have you done any work experience in either field.What GCSE's would you be expecting.You should really talk to the careers person at school if possible.You can google Dog Behaviourist Qualifications and find out what is required that way.You could also talk to the college admissions team and maybe go to an open day ditto the other course.

Yeh In a care home setting. Also have done a lot of volunteering, dog walking for elderly at a dog show. I prefer animals, mainly dogs as I love the idea of training them etc. I watch Victoria (a dog behaviourist/trainer) and I have learnt a lot actually. But then again, healthcare is probably easy to get into as the NHS especially need more staff and people as they're losing a lot.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Yeh In a care home setting. Also have done a lot of volunteering, dog walking for elderly at a dog show. I prefer animals, mainly dogs as I love the idea of training them etc. I watch Victoria (a dog behaviourist/trainer) and I have learnt a lot actually. But then again, healthcare is probably easy to get into as the NHS especially need more staff and people as they're losing a lot.

Well done on all that work experience. You can certainly become a dog behaviourist starting with that course and similarly the other course would be useful for a pathway into NHS. Like I say go to a college open day and ask them these questions. That is what they are for.

Quick Reply

Latest