a level - third subject

Watch this thread
Lacrimosa1
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I want ot get into medicine at Uni and for my a levels, I want to definately do Biology and Chemistry.
I love maths so much and need your help.
a) What is the difference between pure maths, further maths and normal maths?
b) Are they useful?
c) Are they hard?
d) Which one is hardest?
e) What are the advantages and disadvantages?
f) Will they cause stress?
g) Are they fun?
Sorry for wasting your time. I searched and researched but things aren't clear...
Honey57
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Hii there’s basically two alevels:
Maths (contains stats and pure maths and others)
Further maths (which is almost uni maths and harder than maths)
They’re really good for people who want to do physics or engineering or comp sci at uni. That’s the only thing I can say since I didn’t do them at alevel. Hope it helped
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Lacrimosa1)
I want ot get into medicine at Uni and for my a levels, I want to definately do Biology and Chemistry.
b) Are they useful?
c) Are they hard?
d) Which one is hardest?
g) Are they fun?
Sorry for wasting your time. I searched and researched but things aren't clear...
a) Pure maths is a part of normal math A-level that focuses on a topic called calculus. Math a level is just that, math a level, and further maths is a seperate A-level usually taken as a fourth additional option that goes through university level maths. You have to take maths to take further maths.
b) very, it's a necessary subject for a lot of courses, but NOT medicine. Only cambridge want maths.
c) they are hard. Further maths is very very hard, math a-level is hard, and only do it if you got an 8 or a 9 at GCSE, otherwise it'll be a nightmare.
e) Not sure what you mean, but advantages are that it's fun, the papers are enjoyable and the content is engaging, disadvantages are that it's hard and some topics you won't ever really like
f) as with any A-level, however, I find it to be not very stressful, you can easily improve your scores with guided practice with a teacher. It's not like a skill based essay subject.
g) wicked fun. I don't do further maths, but I love love love math a level, very glad I took it.
pufferfish113
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
b) Are they useful?
c) Are they hard?
d) Which one is hardest?
g) Are they fun?
pretty sure that pure maths is for people who aren't the best at maths, but need it for the career and things like that. but you can still take it if you are good at maths. it related to maths in the real world if that makes sense
thealphabetsays
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
b) Are they useful?
c) Are they hard?
d) Which one is hardest?
g) Are they fun?
a) Pure maths is not a separate a-level, there's only maths and further maths
b) yes, maths opens doors to many degrees/jobs if you decide medicine isn't for you
c) yes, they are hard, but with work you'll do well!
d) further maths is hardest - you can only take further maths if you already do maths @ A-Level
e) for you maths would aid your application if you were to apply to somewhere like Cambridge. However maths and further maths are hard and will require hard work.
f) maybe but not loads. maths won't be too stressful if you keep on top of the work!
g) yup! most of my friends say maths is their favourite. I know a girl who did maths and FM alongside physics and chem intending to do natsci in year 11 - she just got an offer for maths at Cambridge!
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by pufferfish113)
pretty sure that pure maths is for people who aren't the best at maths, but need it for the career and things like that. but you can still take it if you are good at maths. it related to maths in the real world if that makes sense
Not sure if that's pure, pure is the calculus part of normal math A-level, but I do think there might be applied math or real world math etc offered?
thealphabetsays
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by pufferfish113)
I think that's core maths
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (9)
45%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (5)
25%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
10%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
15%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5%

Watched Threads