The Student Room Group

pharmacy or medical pharmacology ----> to get to medicine

Hi so essentially i have a conditional offer for medical pharmacology at Swansea and a conditional offer for pharmacy at Cardiff. my other 3 options were medicine options at different unis, but got rejected by all 3 without an interview.
My 3 options are as follows:
1. i take medical pharmacology and finish it and be able to get into graduate medicine at swansea
2. i take pharmacy at Cardiff, and reapply as an undergraduate for medicine with a much more improved ucat score and improved ucas application including more relevant work experience, and well written Personal Statement. (i have no clue whether i am able to do this)
3. i take pharmacy at Cardiff and finish it and strive to become a hospital pharmacist or gp pharmacist. (this is most backup plan)

Anyways, those are my options. if there are other options, id appreciate it if you brought it to my attention. and i would like it if i could get advice on what approach would be better/safer.
Hi so essentially i have a conditional offer for medical pharmacology at Swansea and a conditional offer for pharmacy at Cardiff. my other 3 options were medicine options at different unis, but got rejected by all 3 without an interview.
1. i take medical pharmacology and finish it and be able to get into graduate medicine at swansea
2. i take pharmacy at Cardiff, and reapply as an undergraduate for medicine with a much more improved ucat score and improved ucas application including more relevant work experience, and well written Personal Statement. (i have no clue whether i am able to do this)
3. i take pharmacy at Cardiff and finish it and strive to become a hospital pharmacist or gp pharmacist. (this is most backup plan)

Anyways, those are my options. if there are other options, id appreciate it if you brought it to my attention. and i would like it if i could get advice on what approach would be better/safer.

4. Decline both offers, take a gap year and reapply strategically to 4 medical schools.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Hussein.Al-Qaddo

As would say - take a gap year and reapply! If you want medicine, graduate entry medicine in near impossible. Assume if you pick another degree than medicine, that degree will be your career.
I echo hungrysalamander's opinion - I've heard that it's more competitive if you're a graduate applicant (and more exams like the ucat to prepare for - gmsat maybe?) And you can only apply to a handful of medical universities - from what I've read. Take a gap year, polish your application and reapply x
Graduate Medicine (GEM) is insanely competitive - and you wont get full Student Finance (its another undergrad degree and you'll already have one). So realistically it a non-starter.

If you want to do Medicine then do Medicine, and dont do Medical Pharmacology or whatever.

Take a gap-year and over the summer get some serious relevant work experience like working in a care-home etc, and apply for Medicine in September. If you don't, you'll spend the rest of your life wondering what might have happened if only you had.
I would not enrol on one course with the aim of applying for GEM during/after. As above, take a gap year and maximise your chances of undergrad medicine.
Reply 8
If the end goal is medicine, do not do a degree with the sole aim of GEM.

Take a gap year, fix whatever it was that meant you didn't get an offer this time, and reapply.

GEM is *more* competitive, with fewer spaces per applicant than standard. It will cost more, and you'll also be competing against AHPs with years and thousands of hours of clinical experience.

If you do another degree, make sure you would be happy doing that as your job, because statistically speaking you're unlikely to get a GEM place.

Do you know why you got rejected? UCAT/BMAT score? That's fixable enough
Grades? Resit some a levels
Original post by Hussein.Al-Qaddo

Hey did you do an interview for pharmacology at Swansea or did u get an offer without doing one?
Original post by Lemon 24
Hey did you do an interview for pharmacology at Swansea or did u get an offer without doing one?

i did have to do one. but it was rlly quite chill and straightforward so i wouldn’t worry :smile:

Quick Reply