The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

I received a rejection from Manchester University?

I'm heartbroken as Manchester was my firm choice. I applied for Accounting and Finance. They said the reason my application was unsuccessful because "while you have a strong educational background, there were other applicants with a stronger personal statement". I'm going to send admissions an email and ask for feedback. I put so much effort into my PS and reference, predicted grades. I was wondering if there's any chances they might reconsider. If I meet and exceed their requirements would I be able to get a place via adjustment or clearing. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Sania9518
Bump

Someone please help me.
Reply 3
I'm heartbroken as Manchester was my firm choice. They said the reason my application was unsuccessful because "while you have a strong educational background, there were other applicants with a stronger personal statement". I'm going to send admissions an email and ask for feedback. I put so much effort into my PS and reference, predicted grades. I was wondering if there's any chances they might reconsider. If I meet and exceed their requirements would I be able to get a place via adjustment or clearing. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Bump
Reply 4
Original post by Quitter.
No one cares

If you didn't care, then why respond to this thread?
I mean if it wasn't your grades they had an issue with, I'm not sure. If they're this discriminating with personal statements I'm not sure if they'd have spaces in clearing or adjustment anyway.
Omg I had the exact same response today from law! Surprisingly, I based mine off people's from LSE/UCL and its my second time applying so i've had time to perfect it. I'm just shocked tbf, same as you.
I'm going to send admissions an email and ask for feedback.

You've just had feedback.
Your PS was not good enough.
They're unlikely to reconsider mate, sorry. Don't beat yourself up, thousands of people don't get into their top choice uni and go on to have a great time at another institution.

I'd imagine if they feel other people have stronger PS it could mean that they had more impressive super curricular activities (reading, courses, work experiences), or it could have just been that the way they chose to structure it was more in line with what Manchester specifically look for. Something to keep in mind incase you decide to reapply
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm heartbroken as Manchester was my firm choice. I applied for Accounting and Finance. They said the reason my application was unsuccessful because "while you have a strong educational background, there were other applicants with a stronger personal statement". I'm going to send admissions an email and ask for feedback. I put so much effort into my PS and reference, predicted grades. I was wondering if there's any chances they might reconsider. If I meet and exceed their requirements would I be able to get a place via adjustment or clearing. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

happened to me aswell lol
Reply 10
Original post by CuriousO
They're unlikely to reconsider mate, sorry. Don't beat yourself up, thousands of people don't get into their top choice uni and go on to have a great time at another institution.

I'd imagine if they feel other people have stronger PS it could mean that they had more impressive super curricular activities (reading, courses, work experiences), or it could have just been that the way they chose to structure it was more in line with what Manchester specifically look for. Something to keep in mind incase you decide to reapply

Actually, they do but rarely change their minds. It's no unheard of, in some cases they do reconsider your application. For instance, I applied for Biomedical Science almost three years ago and I got rejected. However, I then sent them an email pleading to them why I deserve a place on the course and to my surprise, they asked me to come in for an interview invite as long as I can provide an academic reference and predicted grades. Universities can choose what they want to do.
There are better places to study A&F than Manchester; Bristol, Bath, Durham, Warwick, LSE and Nottingham are all very good at it.
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm sorry to hear this, but Manchester is known to be extremely competitive and can afford to be even pickier this year due to the large number of applications.

I know you're heartbroken, but they won't reconsider your application, even if you beg. At best, your email will be ignored, at worst, it'll irritate the admissions team and then be ignored. They have far too many applicants to get through who will unfortunately have the required grades and a more suitable personal statement for the course. I feel like it would be rude to ask them go reconsider when they've already said no - as adults, we don't always get what we want and we have to just deal with it.

Your best options now are to wait and hope that Manchester goes into clearing or reapplying next year. Other than that, focus on your remaining offers.

Best of luck :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Realistically, there is little to no chance they will reconsider. There are once in a blue moon stories like the one above, but they are very exceptional and are far outweighed by the hundreds if not thousands of people who challenge the application outcome and get a polite no in response.

There’s no adjustment this year, but you can always see if the course is in clearing.

So sorry to hear that. Accounting and Finance in most places is extremely competitive. I doubt they'd reconsider. In terms of adjustment/clearing - I don't think Manchester will go into clearing/adjustment since they didn't last year and overall applications will be up massively due to a higher amount of reapplicants this year.
I also received a rejection for law for the same reason. However I sent them an email asking them to review my application considering I took part in the Manchester Access Programme and they changed it to an offer the next day
Reply 16
Original post by Indililam1
I'm sorry to hear this, but Manchester is known to be extremely competitive and can afford to be even pickier this year due to the large number of applications.

I know you're heartbroken, but they won't reconsider your application, even if you beg. At best, your email will be ignored, at worst, it'll irritate the admissions team and then be ignored. They have far too many applicants to get through who will unfortunately have the required grades and a more suitable personal statement for the course. I feel like it would be rude to ask them go reconsider when they've already said no - as adults, we don't always get what we want and we have to just deal with it.

Your best options now are to wait and hope that Manchester goes into clearing or reapplying next year. Other than that, focus on your remaining offers.

Best of luck :smile:

I just received an email from Manchester University saying that I can provide an academic reference and predicted grades from college, they may be able to reconsider me. I'm so happy!!
Reply 17

Bump
Reply 18
Bump

Bump
Reply 19

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Latest