Evaluating Question Psychology

Watch this thread
Kim J
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey I do cie psychology (abnormality/organizations) and recently we've been weird getting questions from the abnormality section.
It asks us to evaluate characteristics, measures definitions and case studies of a certain chapter.
I can understand how to evaluate case studies and measures but have no idea how to evaluate a definition?
It is fairly new and examiner reports haven't been released yet for that kind of question nor have there been any example candidate responses for it ever

Can anyone help me understand how to evaluate definitions/characteristics of a certain disorder (issues and debates include reductionism/holism, determinism/free will, validity, reliability, application to everyday life)

I tried evaluating a definition and it looks something like this
- the characteristics of X disorder are holistic because they consider a wide range of symptoms that are included in the disorder, moreover these symptoms are seen in every person having the disorder which additionally increases their validity. Although there might be some differences in the emergence of the symptoms with some having only some of the symptoms, the DSM definition still takes it into account and only formally person diagnoses the disorder if "x" and "x" symptoms are there. The DSM also categorizes it into a different type of disorder (a subset) if Y symptoms do not persist, making this a more generalizable method of diagnosis.
Is this fine? or there a better way to do it?
I'm quite baffled by the type of question that's started to show up and want to be well prepared so please help!!
Last edited by Kim J; 4 months ago
IDK.345
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Kim J)
Hey I do cie psychology (abnormality/organizations) and recently we've been weird getting questions from the abnormality section.
It asks us to evaluate characteristics, measures definitions and case studies of a certain chapter.
I can understand how to evaluate case studies and measures but have no idea how to evaluate a definition?
It is fairly new and examiner reports haven't been released yet for that kind of question nor have there been any example candidate responses for it ever

Can anyone help me understand how to evaluate definitions/characteristics of a certain disorder (issues and debates include reductionism/holism, determinism/free will, validity, reliability, application to everyday life)

I tried evaluating a definition and it looks something like this
- the characteristics of X disorder are holistic because they consider a wide range of symptoms that are included in the disorder, moreover these symptoms are seen in every person having the disorder which additionally increases their validity. Although there might be some differences in the emergence of the symptoms with some having only some of the symptoms, the DSM definition still takes it into account and only formally person diagnoses the disorder if "x" and "x" symptoms are there. The DSM also categorizes it into a different type of disorder (a subset) if Y symptoms do not persist, making this a more generalizable method of diagnosis.
Is this fine? or there a better way to do it?
I'm quite baffled by the type of question that's started to show up and want to be well prepared so please help!!
Maybe it asks you to evaluate the definition in terms of the wording of it. For example, the definition could be a strength as it includes the mental processes rather than the behaviour being learnt through classical, operant conditioning or social learning theory. If it were a weakness, it could be that the definition is reductionist and states the behaviour is only due to genetics. I would suggest using the PEEL structure and using the Issues and Debates section to evaluate this e.g. the definition is deterministic and doesn't account for free will in behaviours. For case studies, you can say that they are unique cases that happen to a small group or individual people and therefore the outcome/theory from the case study's results can't be generalised to the population (wider society) which reduces the validity of the supporting evidence (the case study). I hope this helps
Kim J
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by IDK.345)
Maybe it asks you to evaluate the definition in terms of the wording of it. For example, the definition could be a strength as it includes the mental processes rather than the behaviour being learnt through classical, operant conditioning or social learning theory. If it were a weakness, it could be that the definition is reductionist and states the behaviour is only due to genetics. I would suggest using the PEEL structure and using the Issues and Debates section to evaluate this e.g. the definition is deterministic and doesn't account for free will in behaviours. For case studies, you can say that they are unique cases that happen to a small group or individual people and therefore the outcome/theory from the case study's results can't be generalised to the population (wider society) which reduces the validity of the supporting evidence (the case study). I hope this helps
Ohh thanks! I didn't think of it that way! Appreciate the help!
IDK.345
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Kim J)
Ohh thanks! I didn't think of it that way! Appreciate the help!
No problem, if you have another other psychology questions let me know ! I also do A Level Psychology
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (13)
26.53%
As I expected (14)
28.57%
Harder (19)
38.78%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
6.12%

Watched Threads