The Student Room Group

GCSE Latin vs Classical Greek

Which is better to self study/more easy?
Reply 1
I mean both are pretty hard, and if someone who already speaks a similar language where to answer, they'd give u a somewhat biased answer. I'd say look at both specs for GCSE and open up the latest part paper available. Look at them and see which would be easier in your opinion. Sorry if you weren't looking for a response like this
Greek is probably easier to self study as there's more self study materials available cos it's taught in schools less.
You only need to know about 20 grammar tables, 800 words vocab, and the 2 short set texts to do well in the GCSE (+ about 20 grammatical constructions like purpose clauses, result clauses etc...)
Original post by mlinyy
Which is better to self study/more easy?

u can also get scholarships to go to the JACT Ancient Greek summer school for free, where u can get up to GCSE standard in about 2 weeks with a little pre preparation
Reply 4
The OCR specification (the main board for Latin and sole one for Greek) is pretty much the same for both languages and the amount of grammar needed is similar. Although if you're self-studying, Latin is probably easier (way more Latin GCSE books, Youtube videos, easier access to set texts etc.), there really isn't much for Classical Greek (I'm doing it now and though I love it, there's very little available online).

Although if you think you could do it, Greek is great fun and unique. John Taylor's Greek to GCSE books are great for all the grammar (he's also written ones for Latin to GCSE) and as cheetobish said, there's the JACT course.
Original post by Mulefa
The OCR specification (the main board for Latin and sole one for Greek) is pretty much the same for both languages and the amount of grammar needed is similar. Although if you're self-studying, Latin is probably easier (way more Latin GCSE books, Youtube videos, easier access to set texts etc.), there really isn't much for Classical Greek (I'm doing it now and though I love it, there's very little available online).

Although if you think you could do it, Greek is great fun and unique. John Taylor's Greek to GCSE books are great for all the grammar (he's also written ones for Latin to GCSE) and as cheetobish said, there's the JACT course.

yh maybe ur right abt latin having more material. There is a lot of ancient greek stuff (Reading Greek textbooks, Cheadle vocab...) but it's mainly for learning to read texts fast, not specifically for the GCSE course
If you already know some French, Spanish, or Italian, or you're a pretty seasoned attendee of Catholic mass, then Latin is going to be far more familiar to you already than Ancient Greek.

Quick Reply

Latest