12th March Wales vs France
12th March Italy vs Scotland

Week 5
19th March - Wales vs Italy
19th March - Ireland vs Scotland
19th March France vs England
Today it's France vs. Italy :france:
Some thoughts per team after round 1:

Ireland: They seem to be being talked up as favourites, and they were good without ever really feeling like they properly hit top gear. Like watching Leinster most weeks. Like with Leinster, it's hard to know how good their peak performance is as they rarely need it. We'll find out next week.

Wales: The worst I've seen them play in a decade plus of watching the 6N. Complete rabbits in the headlights that basically failed to lay a glove on Ireland. It was one game, but I can sort of understand why people are reading the eulogy for Welsh rugby this weekend.

Scotland: They're a good team now. This wasn't their best but they'll be favourites at home and a difficult opponent away and given they've got France at home, I think it's completely plausible that they're still in the hunt for the Grand Slam by the end of round 4.

England: Not our best work, but I think it was mostly a decent performance until the discipline went. Substitutions were a bit odd (I say this as a big George Ford fan) and we didn't seem to have any game-breakers that were going to help us attack against a team that defends well and is happy to play on the counter-attack.

France: They did what they needed to do in a game that seemed to be a carbon copy of every other France-Italy game in the last half-decade or so. Didn't hit the heights they did in the autumn, but didn't need to. Bigger tests will come.

Italy: They're improving but so is everyone else. At this point they're really only being saved by the fact that everyone knows that they're markedly better than the next best teams in Europe still. That said, Wales will be pleased they've got them in Cardiff this year on the evidence of the opening round.
Wales 20 - Scotland 17
Would love to know why Scotland are completely incapable of winning in Cardiff, given it seems to have very little to do with the relative strengths of the two teams. :dontknow:

Now onto the Championship Decider™, which was incredible for 10 minutes and then has struggled to quite live up to that for the rest of the first half.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest