Chemical engineering careers prospects

Watch this thread
tecna
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I really enjoyed chem at a level
I am not sure if I should go for chem eng or jus chem
What sort of careers can u go into after these degrees
What's the difference between the 2
EOData
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
There isn't a huge amount of chemistry in most chemical engineering - Maths is a more important A level (and possibly Physics). You can find out a bit more about chem eng here https://www.icheme.org/career/early-...ing-look-like/

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...qvoliij5vnblf4
ChemEngWeekly
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by tecna)
I really enjoyed chem at a level
I am not sure if I should go for chem eng or jus chem
What sort of careers can u go into after these degrees
What's the difference between the 2
Hey there!

So to echo what the above post has said, ChemE really is not that much Chemistry (Around 25% in most if not all uni courses) and if you are interested in the differences between Chem and ChemEng, TEMSfluence has done a video on YouTube covering that exact question. The employment/careers for graduates are also different, with Chem Eng opening more doors to things like process design and energy whilst Chem would be more geared to Research and Development, supporting scientific work etc, so I would definitely say that research would be of benefit to you here.

I aim to make a video regarding the careers of Chemical Engineers vs Chemists soon, so that could be something of benefit to you in the future when that does come out, but in the mean time i would definitely recommend just doing searches like "What jobs do chemistry graduates go into" and the same for Chem E.

I would definitely say do not apply to Chem Eng with the intention of it being like chemistry, because that simply is not true at all and many applicants who do this find themselves disappointed with the degree as it something different to what they expected.

Best,

ChemEngWeekly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
27.27%
As I expected (23)
29.87%
Harder (29)
37.66%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.19%

Watched Threads