The Student Room Group

Does 3 advanced highers matter for medicine ?

I’m currently taking 5 highers at the moment which consist of English, maths, chemistry , human bio and engineering science and I’m hoping to apply for medicine and I’m struggling with picking my advanced highers as many people in my year are taking 3 plus a higher which I think is a bit much for me despite me averaging more than half of them currently in prelims/tests and I was wondering that if me taking only 2AH chemistry and maths plus 2 highers psychology and PE would put me at a disadvantage than the others because if feel like could guarantee strong A’s in the chosen AH considering it’s only two. Usually unis would solve this problem but they 3AH and 2AH + higher are same but can I get some other feedback? Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Huss_425
I’m currently taking 5 highers at the moment which consist of English, maths, chemistry , human bio and engineering science and I’m hoping to apply for medicine and I’m struggling with picking my advanced highers as many people in my year are taking 3 plus a higher which I think is a bit much for me despite me averaging more than half of them currently in prelims/tests and I was wondering that if me taking only 2AH chemistry and maths plus 2 highers psychology and PE would put me at a disadvantage than the others because if feel like could guarantee strong A’s in the chosen AH considering it’s only two. Usually unis would solve this problem but they 3AH and 2AH + higher are same but can I get some other feedback? Thanks

I'm not a med applicant but my best friend at school is sitting 2AH and H and has had interviews for med (no offers yet for anyone at my school in med), don't forget to places like Glasgow the offers are usually like BBB for AH med and not AAA if that changes your thought process.
'AAAAA Higher at end of S5 + BBB Advanced Higher or AB Advanced Higher + B Higher in S6'
Do whatever makes you think you could achieve the grades best, I wish you well. (also don't forget to prepare for UCAT early).
Original post by Huss_425

You need to check each university that you are interested in for their requirements. Dundee for example want 3 AH or 2AH plus 1 crash higher, a subject that you didn't do at Nat5. Work out the minimum that will keep all the universities happy and take it from there, then leave some space in your timetable for something you like, maybe Art or Music, without the grade pressure.
Most medicine students do 5 highers in 5th year and 3adv highers in 6th year from my knowledge

Quick Reply