The Student Room Group

Work Experience in Clinical Psychology

As Clinical Psychology is highly competitive I’m hoping to get some work experience over summer this year, but due to the nature of the subject its hard for a undergraduate student to get work experience that relates directly to clinical psychology. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, as at the moment my main options seem to be volunteer work on helplines.
Reply 1
Original post by Abi0803
As Clinical Psychology is highly competitive I’m hoping to get some work experience over summer this year, but due to the nature of the subject its hard for a undergraduate student to get work experience that relates directly to clinical psychology. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, as at the moment my main options seem to be volunteer work on helplines.

There won't be much directly relevant experience (such as working as an Assistant Psychologist) you can get before finishing your BSc. You could look for roles that involve working with the types of people Psychologists work with, for example, people with mental health problems, learning disabilities, addictions, etc. I started out as a support worker for adults with learning disabilities.

Helping roles like you mentioned are also good experience, so those kinds of volunteer roles could also be a good option. You could also look for roles in youth work, mentoring, tutoring, 'buddy' roles etc. When I was doing my BSc, I also managed to find a psychology professor who let me volunteer as a research assistant for him (this took a lot of pestering and looking around!).
Reply 2
Original post by Nerol
There won't be much directly relevant experience (such as working as an Assistant Psychologist) you can get before finishing your BSc. You could look for roles that involve working with the types of people Psychologists work with, for example, people with mental health problems, learning disabilities, addictions, etc. I started out as a support worker for adults with learning disabilities.

Helping roles like you mentioned are also good experience, so those kinds of volunteer roles could also be a good option. You could also look for roles in youth work, mentoring, tutoring, 'buddy' roles etc. When I was doing my BSc, I also managed to find a psychology professor who let me volunteer as a research assistant for him (this took a lot of pestering and looking around!).

Thank you this is really helpful! Im currently a tutor as i picked it up during covid due to the need in secondary schools so im really glad to hear that won’t go to waste, I’ll definitely look at applying for some hotline and charities roles for mental health too. Thank you again!
Original post by Abi0803

Hi there,

My name is Ivaylo Georgiev, I did a BSc in Psychology, and I'm an MSc Health Psychology student. While I was doing my BSc in Psychology, many peers were getting work experience by either doing long-term volunteering or working as a support worker. It worked pretty well for them, so I believe it will work well for you too. :smile:

I hope that helps!

Ivaylo
MSc Health Psychology
Student Ambassador at Coventry University

Quick Reply

Latest