The Student Room Group

Keeping a routine at university

Hi, so I'm planning on going to university this September and I have always found it difficult to not get overwhelmed when plans go wrong and my routine gets messed up. I currently know what I'm doing each day but I'm worried I'll struggle getting into a new routine. I've never moved house or slept over at anyone's house before so I'm completely not used to this kind of thing. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.
Original post by Dreyver
Hi, so I'm planning on going to university this September and I have always found it difficult to not get overwhelmed when plans go wrong and my routine gets messed up. I currently know what I'm doing each day but I'm worried I'll struggle getting into a new routine. I've never moved house or slept over at anyone's house before so I'm completely not used to this kind of thing. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Hey @Dreyver,

I was in the same position as you back in my 1st Year. I never moved away from home before and the first time I stepped foot in the city where I was going to study was an Open Day. My initial thoughts were, "How am I going to adapt to such a new environment?". I coped by making plans for how a typical week would go - when I'm in for classes, when to shop, when to cook, etc. I even moved in a month before the majority of students were meant to move in.

I wanted to see if my plans would work out, if not I had a few weeks or so to alter it. I'd say most of my planning worked out, however you can't ultimatley plan everything. I found the month of being early qutie useful as it helped me get into a routine. Even when freshers and classes took place, I managed to stick with it.

I hope this helps,
- Jesse, 3rd Year Animation Student.
Reply 2
Original post by De Montfort University
Hey @Dreyver,

I was in the same position as you back in my 1st Year. I never moved away from home before and the first time I stepped foot in the city where I was going to study was an Open Day. My initial thoughts were, "How am I going to adapt to such a new environment?". I coped by making plans for how a typical week would go - when I'm in for classes, when to shop, when to cook, etc. I even moved in a month before the majority of students were meant to move in.

I wanted to see if my plans would work out, if not I had a few weeks or so to alter it. I'd say most of my planning worked out, however you can't ultimatley plan everything. I found the month of being early qutie useful as it helped me get into a routine. Even when freshers and classes took place, I managed to stick with it.

I hope this helps,
- Jesse, 3rd Year Animation Student.

Yes, thankyou, that really helps.
Original post by Dreyver

Hey @Dreyver,

It's great to hear you're thinking ahead and planning for the future. It's definitely easy to feel overwhelmed trying to adjust to a new environment and it can be a bit of a challenge if you're not experienced with getting into a routine.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it, because you'll slowly find your own system and routine that works for you. What works for one person may not work for you, so it's a matter of trial and error. As Jesse mentioned, you can't plan everything so take whatever difficulty your way and overcome those challenges as they come. When you set a plan for yourself and things don't go your way, don't be too hard on yourself because this happens to everyone. Just remind yourself to not give up and you're still adapting and learning.

If it helps, plan weekly - choose one evening i.e. a Sunday evening and prepare for the week. Or, you can choose an evening each night and set yourself plans/goals for the next day. What really helps for me is setting time aside in the evening and planning for the next day so I can wake up with intention of completing those tasks. Set yourself annual goals, monthly goals, weekly goals, and daily goals. Depending on how you see it, this may sound excessive, and it's okay.

Just experiment and see what works for you!

I hope this helps.

Veronica
Student Ambassador
Hi @Dreyver the first two weeks of university tend to be quite busy, with moving in, freshers events, getting used to the university, the city, attending lectures and trying societies, but when these things die down tends to be when people then get homesick, so it's important to keep in touch with family and friends, plan visits for them to come to you as well as you to go to them. Bring photo's or something that reminds you of friends and family to your uni accommodation. Get your parents to write down how to make some of your favourite meals, that way if you feel down make something that is comforting.

Making friends and throwing yourself into the university experience can help. Explore the city, find out what's unique to it, find cafe's to read or work in, meet up with friends and family from back home, and enjoy yourself. Things you can try include :

- signing up to volunteering opportunities set up by the students union; they are free, you'll meet fellow students and you'll feel good after doing some rewarding work
- You can become a course rep, it's a good way to be integral to the course and the people on the course, and learn lots of new skills and can help build up confidence. In the second year you can even go a step up and become a departmental rep!
- Take part in events run be the students union, whether online or in person.
- Attend the freebie fairs! / freshers fairs, you're missing out if you don't get your free pizza and tote bags
- Go to student quiz/bingo nights
- try societies/start your own
- take part in university run focus groups! These are a fun way to contribute to university, try something new and earn some money.

In terms of organisation, get yourself different notebooks for your different modules, this will help a lot when it comes to revising or writing your assignment. Get yourself highlighters, post it notes, and revision cards. What I like about university is that how you spend each day is up to you (around your lectures and seminars of course), so it's okay to have a flexible routine. Perhaps make a plan of things necessary to get done that week but make it flexible as to when you do them, that way your plan can't get messed up.

I hope you find this helpful.

- Rosie
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest