The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Rich People at Bristol

I'm a student looking to do English Lit at the university of Bristol. I chose Bristol because I wanted a city uni and I liked the course options but all I'm hearing about it recently is how posh it is. I'm a state school student and I REALLY don't want to be surrounded by uber rich people. Could any students currently at Bristol who came from state schools tell me what it's like? I don't want to have to go out of my way to find people like me.
Original post by cowhill
I'm a student looking to do English Lit at the university of Bristol. I chose Bristol because I wanted a city uni and I liked the course options but all I'm hearing about it recently is how posh it is. I'm a state school student and I REALLY don't want to be surrounded by uber rich people. Could any students currently at Bristol who came from state schools tell me what it's like? I don't want to have to go out of my way to find people like me.

i’m exactly the same but for politics haha!! i’ve heard so much abt snobbiness and it’s scaring me off
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
I teach there and yeah it's pretty damn affluent
Reply 3
Original post by sevendaughters
I teach there and yeah it's pretty damn affluent

so much so that I won't be able to find people I get on with?
Original post by cowhill
so much so that I won't be able to find people I get on with?

nah there's so many people go there from all walks of life ultimately, you'd have to be a real sort to have no pals!
dead uni
More worrying than the reputation for 'posh kids' is this current controversy - you might like to read this and then ask yourself if Bristol really is where you want to go to University -
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ghts-activists

And equally bizzare is https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-b2010087.html
it's some SU guidance made to look like official university rules. As a member of staff at the university I can tell you it is absolute *******s.
Original post by sevendaughters
it's some SU guidance made to look like official university rules. As a member of staff at the university I can tell you it is absolute *******s.

The terf lunacy has nothing to do with the SU - that is about the institutional 'cancelling' of a woman by white misogynist bullies who are so far up their own exclusionary views they have lost all common sense. All students should be worried about joining a University that has got this so badly wrong.
At least it's not Durham, St.A, LSE, Exeter or Oxbridge!
^ They are known to be much more snobby.
I’m from Bristol and tbh yeah it is full of privately educated people / posh people but Bristol as an area is very diverse and there are people from poorer walks of life that go there aswell I think you’ll be fine
Reply 12
so I've read a lot of articles about the lack of mental health services and higher suicide rates at the uni, could you tell me more about that?
Original post by cowhill

Yeh theres lots of posh people but just depends on halls youre in naturally if u are in cheaper halls there will be less posh rich people. i was in university hall and everyone was mostly state school didnt have to go out of my way at all. also met some lovely private school people. obvs u have the occasional judgy rich person or feel a bit out of place but mostly everyone is calm
I don't go to Bristol. Uni is definitely about who you choose to spend your time with though - you won't see them anywhere near as often so it's far more up to you! :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending