The Student Room Group

After university: live/work at home, or live/work in new city with best friend?

About to finish university, where I had a pretty lacklustre experience. Between the pandemic and not really finding ‘my people’, it was pretty unfulfilling socially and quite a lonely time. My best friend from home has established a pretty good social/work life in the city where he is also finishing university, and he has invited me to live/work with him and his friends for a year before we do some travelling together the year after. At this point in my life I kind of want to just let loose a bit and have some fun whilst I’m still young and dumb (perhaps to make up for what I missed out on during my time at uni) before committing to my career path.

OPTION 1: Live at home with family, work for a bit and maybe travel for a bit.

Pros:
- I have a pretty solid social life in my home town (a fairly tight-knit group of friends from high-school)
- Living at home, I won’t be paying rent so would have more disposable income
- Would give me a chance to do some solo travel and volunteering (building up some experience that will be valuable for my career path). Although I may be able to do some of this the year after next anyway.

Cons:
- My hometown is my comfort zone, I feel like I should be breaking out of this and building up more self-confidence. As much as I like my family and my home, I always feel a bit uninspired and feel like I’m not having enough fun. Although
- My hometown friendship group are lovely, but are a bit unambitious socially. I kind of want to let loose a bit (especially after having a fairly lacklustre university experience) and sometimes it’s a struggle trying to organise fun things to do with these people.

OPTION 2: Live and work in a new city with my friend and a bunch of his friends.

Pros:
- Living with best friend and his friends in a fun new city.
- Chance to get out of my comfort zone and build up some self-confidence, living and working in a new city
- Chance to expand my social circle and let loose a bit. My friend and his friends are a bit more ‘fun-loving’ than my hometown friends (my friend is also part of my hometown social circle)
- The city is just over an hour away from home, so I would be able to go to and from pretty easily if I wanted to
- A bit more liberating than living at home with parents

Cons:
- Would have to pay for rent and bills, ultimately might not save up much money overall
- Would spend more time working
- This option is reliant on me having a good time with my best friend’s friends (who I haven’t got to know yet, although they do seem like my kind of people). There’s a risk I don’t fit in as seamlessly as I am imagining I will.

TL;DR

Option 1: Live/work at home for a year (comfort zone, solid social life, work for a bit, solo travel/volunteering for a bit, save up more money)

Option 2: Live/work in a new city with best friend + his friends for a year (build up self-confidence, expand social circle and meet new people, potentially more exciting social life, experience a new city)

Ultimately, my head says option 1 but my heart says option 2. Option 1 seems more sensible but option 2 seems more fun. My main motivation is just having a good time whilst I’m still young and building up a bit of self-confidence before I properly start my career.

Thanks for any advice :smile:
I'd say option 2. you've got the rest of your life to work so you might as well have a good time whilst you can. You'll still build up experience at the same time (both career and life experience). You can always go back home if it doesn't work out.
Reply 2
Original post by Studentlife04
I'd say option 2. you've got the rest of your life to work so you might as well have a good time whilst you can. You'll still build up experience at the same time (both career and life experience). You can always go back home if it doesn't work out.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending