The Student Room Group

Sixth Form Application

Hi, I’m currently looking into sixth forms near me and I have my eye on a selective school that I think will really challenge me, but will also be rewarding. Entry to the school is based on GCSE predicted grades, but my target grades are lower than what I think I’m capable of. Can my predicted grades change? Are target grades different to predicted grades?

Some of my target grades are as low as 6, although most are at least 7. I’d need entirely 8s and 9s to be considered as a potential student, and I think I can do that, but my target grades currently don’t reflect where I think I will be by the time I start sixth form. I’ve already surpassed some of my target grades. Any thoughts?
Original post by RushingRiver
Hi, I’m currently looking into sixth forms near me and I have my eye on a selective school that I think will really challenge me, but will also be rewarding. Entry to the school is based on GCSE predicted grades, but my target grades are lower than what I think I’m capable of. Can my predicted grades change? Are target grades different to predicted grades?

Some of my target grades are as low as 6, although most are at least 7. I’d need entirely 8s and 9s to be considered as a potential student, and I think I can do that, but my target grades currently don’t reflect where I think I will be by the time I start sixth form. I’ve already surpassed some of my target grades. Any thoughts?

How about talking to your teachers and asking to do a few mocks/exams, and if you do well, they might be able to increase your predicted/target grade?
Alternatively, you can sometimes get your parents involved and they can persuade the school how important it is that you get the predicted grades needed to apply. They might be more willing to find a solution.
Target grades aren't important because they are just the grades that your school thinks is what you should be achieving. Predicted grades are.what the sixth forms and colleges care about. They won't even ask/know about your target grades.
Original post by booklover1313
How about talking to your teachers and asking to do a few mocks/exams, and if you do well, they might be able to increase your predicted/target grade?
Alternatively, you can sometimes get your parents involved and they can persuade the school how important it is that you get the predicted grades needed to apply. They might be more willing to find a solution.

Thanks for that suggestion, I wouldn’t have thought of it! I’ll definitely ask nearer the time, if my predicted grades don’t go up. I have mocks coming up next month so I’ll take full advantage of them.
Original post by shirokuro3
Target grades aren't important because they are just the grades that your school thinks is what you should be achieving. Predicted grades are.what the sixth forms and colleges care about. They won't even ask/know about your target grades.

I hadn’t realised there was such a difference between them, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending