?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
MSci Cgemistry - Imperial College London
MSci Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry - Imperial College London
BSc Pharmacology (3 years or 4-year sandwich) - King's College London
Mchem Computer-Aided Chemistry - University of Surrey
MSci Medicinal Chemistry - University College London
MSci Chemistry (International Programme) - University College London

These are the choices i made on my ucas form for this year, iv really got my heart set on the Computer aided chemistry mchem at surrey.
but what do you guys think of the other choices iv made? any good? whats the best one in everyones opinion? taking the uni's in mind.
horrorboy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by pure_persian)

These are the choices i made on my ucas form for this year, iv really got my heart set on the Computer aided chemistry mchem at surrey.
but what do you guys think of the other choices iv made? any good? whats the best one in everyones opinion? taking the uni's in mind.
uh :confused: what do you mean by best? it depends on your skills, abilities and what you want to do, one will be better for you than it will for someone else etc.
anyway enough rambling id say do what you want to do :cool:
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

But it depends on what you wanna do afterwards and what you want outa uni.
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jumpunderaboat)

But it depends on what you wanna do afterwards and what you want outa uni.

I would agree with that choice.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The other choices you made is good. The most important thing is to choose the course that you like out of the 6 choices.
Acaila
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you've got your heart set on that course then go for it. You're the one who's going to spend 3/4 years doing the course, not us .
trouttrout
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It depends if you want work experience or not.
Butterfly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'd personally pick the international programme at UCL but that is because I would love to spend a year abroad.
pure_persian
Rep:
?
well basically put it simply, i like chemistry!!
The reason im iterested in the surrey course (computer aided chemistry) is because iv got previous IT knowledge, i got a sort of IT background, and since i enjoy chemistry so much and am good at it i thought maybe combining the 2 together would be a good idea?

I just cant make up my mind in regards to what will be the best option in the long run, i mean if i come out of imperial with a straight chemistry degree is there gonna be a lot of job opportunities open to me? cos i thought maybe a straight chem degree would be too broad and the pay isnt really good is it?!

And the surrey course also offers 1 year placement, which is always a good thing!

What would you guys recommend the best course would be in the long run? Thinking about £££££ money also? And job prospects and such.
I would love to maybe after my degree go off to canada to do another 2 years further study and also work at the same time, hopefully live there.. so what u guys recommend!?

sorry to be so stupid!
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

You're obviously interested in the medicinal and pharmacology aspects of chemistry so in your position I would choose Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry, Imperial College London.
pure_persian
Rep:
?
hmm interesting articles man thanks a lot

lets just see how my interviews go now, if i get interviewed at imperial, will they ask me why i chose 2 courses at their institute?
im nervous i think im gonna mess up my interview, any1 had a chemistry interview at imperial here?
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
They might ask that question about choosing 2 courses at their institute. In addition, questions about chemistry might be asked too. Don't worry, they will also ask you stuff outside of chemistry.
pure_persian
Rep:
?
will they ask how big my schkhiglogan is??

HAHAHAHA sorry i was just watching ali g in the usaiii
the last episode where Bruno (the gay one) is interviewing this american football player
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH AHAH

OH MY GOOOOD AHAHAHAHAHAH OW ****
[email protected]
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Don't have a clue what the differences are....but go to imperial !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Out of interest, what offers have you been made, if any? As I would guess that Surrey would be your lowest offer. I know Imperial has a very good chemistry department, but by doing computery stuff with chemistry does give you a bit 'extra' if you see what I mean.

You do use computers quite a lot in a standard chemistry degree - everything that's done using spectrometers uses a computer and requires you to fiddle about with the spectrum a bit. Also I've found with physical chemistry experiments, the results always need interpretting using graphs on excel and stuff, so you do get to use computers quite a bit anyway.
pure_persian
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chicken)
Out of interest, what offers have you been made, if any? As I would guess that Surrey would be your lowest offer. I know Imperial has a very good chemistry department, but by doing computery stuff with chemistry does give you a bit 'extra' if you see what I mean.

You do use computers quite a lot in a standard chemistry degree - everything that's done using spectrometers uses a computer and requires you to fiddle about with the spectrum a bit. Also I've found with physical chemistry experiments, the results always need interpretting using graphs on excel and stuff, so you do get to use computers quite a bit anyway.
http://www.newscientistjobs.com/ins...er78&focusId=uk
well this link has made me think that the course at surrey is really the best one, if im thinking abuout long term, its still an Mchem and i get all the normal chemistrt stuff taught but also the extra computing side also, :confused: i dunno
well iv met the admissions officer at surrey already for a chat and a tour of the uni, i gotta say i wasnt tooooo impressed with the uni, although i didnt look around much. theyv just had an extension on the chemistry labs and stuff.
iv basically already got the offer at surrey i think. at the interview he said to me once he gets my ucas in hell invite me to a ucas open day etc.. and also said iv already met their requirements for the course, so i think iv basically garunteed an offer there,
as for the others i havent heard yet, i got a confirmation letter from imperial today and they said they will get back to me in regards to an interview etc..
so i dunno
is imperial hard to get into?
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
is imperial hard to get into?
fairly. although they do give out quite a high proportion of offers. imperial is a brilliant university though and is at/near the top for science in the country - i would think very carefully about whether you should decline an imperial offer if you're successful with them.
missgalaxy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
imperial rulez
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
imperial is a brilliant university though and is at/near the top for science in the country - i would think very carefully about whether you should decline an imperial offer if you're successful with them.
i agree here. with regards to offers for chemistry, i know people who got BBB offers post interview - so presumably it's not one of their most competitive subjects, but the effects of other chem depts. closing may change this slightly?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (69)
23.71%
No (222)
76.29%

Watched Threads