The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
their chem departments are closing?
when?
Reply 21
pure_persian
their chem departments are closing?

erm..exeter & sussex? off the top of my head. i'm not a chemist & none of the ones i know are affected,so.. :p:

maybe try BBC news/google or even this board as there will be plenty of info re. chem dept. closures i should think.
Reply 22
aha sorry he said the effects of OTHER chem depts closing, i read it wrong
ye, :smile:
thanks guys i appreciate it, iv decided if i get an offer from imperial im gonna take it, if not then ill prolly stick with surrey
Reply 23
pure_persian
aha sorry he said the effects of OTHER chem depts closing, i read it wrong
ye, :smile:
thanks guys i appreciate it, iv decided if i get an offer from imperial im gonna take it, if not then ill prolly stick with surrey

Am I mistaken or were you at UEA doing maths or something at one point? :confused:
Reply 24
Chicken
Am I mistaken or were you at UEA doing maths or something at one point? :confused:

No at uea doing a foundation chemistry course

are u doing the forensics course at uea?
Reply 25
pure_persian
No at uea doing a foundation chemistry course

are u doing the forensics course at uea?

I'm doing Chemistry with Analytical Chemistry course. Its essentially the same as the one with Forensics in, just without the Law module (I didn't want to do the forensics one cos of the Law bit).
Reply 26
oh ok cool, i take it ur first year then?

Iv already got a place on the forensics mchem at UEA after i finish this year, but id really prefer to go to london!
Reply 27
pure_persian
oh ok cool, i take it ur first year then?

Iv already got a place on the forensics mchem at UEA after i finish this year, but id really prefer to go to london!

Nope I'm a second year. I know a few people doing that Forensics one and they all hate the law module with a passion...they've just had to write a mega essay and we're not used to doing that type of thing, they all found it really hard.
Reply 28
Chicken
Nope I'm a second year. I know a few people doing that Forensics one and they all hate the law module with a passion...they've just had to write a mega essay and we're not used to doing that type of thing, they all found it really hard.

hmm, i wouldnt mind meetin a couple people off that course n maybe go sit in a couple lectures jus to see wot its like
Reply 29
pure_persian
hmm, i wouldnt mind meetin a couple people off that course n maybe go sit in a couple lectures jus to see wot its like

You basically do the same as straight chemistry students, except you have to take more core modules (so you get less optional modules). In first year, you do a 'Introduction to Analytical and Forensic Science' module, and get a guy from the police force talk to you, and also a guy from the horse racing forensic labs. You also have to do quite a bit of stats, unfortunately. In your second year, you take 'Instrumental Analytical Chemistry' module, which i've just started. Its fairly interesting, its basically teaching you all the intrumentation (we get to use all the stuff in the instrument lab), and relates it to forensics a bit - like seeing how much flouride is in toothpaste, and how much copper can be found in red wine (from copper sulphate pesticides used on the grapes etc). You also in your 2nd year have to do the Law module, however both my friends are doing it find it quite difficult, it basically covers all the law terminology and stuff used in courts, and is not specific to forensics. I'm not sure what you have to do in your third and fourth year yet.

You best bet is to go and speak to Professor Russell (his office is on the 1st floor, round by the back stairs), he's the course co-ordinator. He's really quite nice, and will be very helpful.
Reply 30
thanks a lot chicken :smile:
i appreciate it

ok im off to eat some chicken, kinda hungry
Reply 31
pure_persian
thanks a lot chicken :smile:
i appreciate it

ok im off to eat some chicken, kinda hungry

Lol, glad to be of help!

Latest