The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Uni of Southampton experience

Hi.
Southampton is my firm choice to go into uni, anybody whos been there and studied and also lived in halls, what was your experience like and what would you recommended and not recommend whilst there?
Original post by leobor_7
Hi.
Southampton is my firm choice to go into uni, anybody whos been there and studied and also lived in halls, what was your experience like and what would you recommended and not recommend whilst there?

Hello,

I'm a second year Geology student at the uni. This is a very broad question, but I'll try my best to give a general outline!

In my first year I lived in Glen Eyre halls, specifically Roll Court. It was a very nice set of halls that were quite modern. I had 5 flatmates that I got along with very well and helped get through the isolation of covid. I found it conveniently close to Highfield Campus, but my course is based at the NOCs all the way at the waterfront meaning I had to take a 45 minute bus journey down there for some lectures/labs. Thankfully, when living in halls for your first year you are given a bus pass that lets you use all the Unilink buses and Bluestar buses in Southampton. This is very convenient and I would definitely recommend taking advantage of this to explore the city.

The city itself isn't huge but it's got everything you need. Westquay shopping mall and the surrounding streets are effectively the centre of the city. Here there's all kinds of facilities, food and shops that you would need. There is also Portswood which is an area housing a lot of students and has a lot of the student nightlife with plenty of bars and clubs if you're into that kind of thing.

Southampton uni also has loads of societies, 270 in fact, as well as sports and volunteering opportunities and I would really recommend looking into these (the website is here: https://www.susu.org/opportunities/). If there are any hobbies you're into, or potentially interested in learning something, these socieites will give you a great opportunity to make friends and learn new things.

I am open to answering more questions if you have anything more you want to ask! What course are you looking at taking? Which halls are you interested in? Have you visited the city and uni yet?

Charles,
Official University of Southampton Student Representative
(edited 2 years ago)
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hello,

I'm a second year Geology student at the uni. This is a very broad question, but I'll try my best to give a general outline!

In my first year I lived in Glen Eyre halls, specifically Roll Court. It was a very nice set of halls that were quite modern. I had 6 flatmates that I got along with very well and helped get through the isolation of covid. I found it conveniently close to Highfield Campus, but my course is based at the NOCs all the way at the waterfront meaning I had to take a 45 minute bus journey down there for some lectures/labs. Thankfully, when living in halls for your first year you are given a bus pass that lets you use all the Unilink buses and Bluestar buses in Southampton. This is very convenient and I would definitely recommend taking advantage of this to explore the city.

The city itself isn't huge but it's got everything you need. Westquay shopping mall and the surrounding streets are effectively the centre of the city. Here there's all kinds of facilities, food and shops that you would need. There is also Portswood which is an area housing a lot of students and has a lot of the student nightlife in the uni with plenty of bars and clubs if you're into that kind of thing.

Southampton uni also has loads of societies, 270 in fact, as well as sports and volunteering opportunities and I would really recommend looking into these (the website is here: https://www.susu.org/opportunities/). If there are any hobbies you're into, or potentially interested in learning something, these socieites will give you a great opportunity to make friends and learn new things.

I am open to answering more questions if you have anything more you want to ask! What course are you looking at taking? Which halls are you interested in? Have you visited the city and uni yet?

Charles,

This was great information thank you!
So I’m going to study Aerospace and Astronautics, and was looking at housing near the campus. I have an applicant open day on the 19th of feb so I’ll be able to come and visit the uni then and have a look around.
So I’m going to study Aerospace and Astronautics, and was looking at housing near the campus. I have an applicant open day on the 19th of feb so I’ll be able to come and visit the uni then and have a look around.

Hi!
I would strongly encourage you to attend your applicant day! The campus is a beautiful place with plenty of green spaces and lots of places to eat. As mentioned, the city also has everything you need!
One of the nearest accommodations near the university is Glen Eyre. Whilst I didn’t live there myself, the 10 minute walk was very attractive to others. My advice would be to take a look on the accommodation website for more information.
What kind of housing would you be looking for: a sociable flat or a quiet flat for example?
Anything else let us know,
Niamh (University of Southampton Chemistry Rep)
Hi, I studied at the University of Southampton for MSc in Artificial Intelligence. I went on the campus tour and I fell in love with the university. The city has numerous green parks, many of which are near the university. I love going for daily runs while enjoying the scenery. I lived in Glen Eyre because it was the closest accommodation to the university. My biggest advice is to get an en suite room. I'll spare you the details, but sharing a bathroom was the worse experience! The nightlife in Southampton was really good too!
(edited 2 years ago)

Hello,
It's good to hear that you're going to the applicant day. You'll learn a lot about the uni and will have the opportunity to ask all kinds of questions to the student representatives there. As Niamh has said, we're open to answering any more questions if you've got some more!

Charles,

Reply 6
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hello,

In my first year I lived in Glen Eyre halls, specifically Roll Court. It was a very nice set of halls that were quite modern. I had 6 flatmates that I got along with very well and helped get through the isolation of covid. I found it conveniently close to Highfield Campus, but my course is based at the NOCs all the way at the waterfront meaning I had to take a 45 minute bus journey down there for some lectures/labs. Thankfully, when living in halls for your first year you are given a bus pass that lets you use all the Unilink buses and Bluestar buses in Southampton. This is very convenient and I would definitely recommend taking advantage of this to explore the city.

The city itself isn't huge but it's got everything you need. Westquay shopping mall and the surrounding streets are effectively the centre of the city. Here there's all kinds of facilities, food and shops that you would need. There is also Portswood which is an area housing a lot of students and has a lot of the student nightlife in the uni with plenty of bars and clubs if you're into that kind of thing.

Charles,

Original post by stevenball
Hi, I studied at the University of Southampton for MSc in Artificial Intelligence. I went on the campus tour and I fell in love with the university. The city has numerous green parks, many of which are near the university. I love going for daily runs while enjoying the scenery. I lived in Glen Eyre because it was the closest accommodation to the university. My biggest advice is to get an en suite room. I'll spare you the details, but sharing a bathroom was the worse experience! The nightlife in Southampton was really good too!

Hey,

Great to hear you will be taking a visit to Campus!

Like the others have said, make sure you ask questions to students and staff on the day and I would recommend going on a tour around accommodation and attending any talks for your subject of interest. This will give to a solid outline on what to expect on the course!
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask below,

Olivia (Uni of Southampton Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending