The Student Room Group

Parking straight and pulling out (How to) - reverse bay park

Hi all,
I am a really nervous driver, especially when it comes to parking. Last week, I forward bay parked into a space wonky and when I reversed out I was so close to a car that I had a bit of a panic attack that I couldn't get out of the space. I managed safely but still... Now, I go to work ten minutes early to get an empty car park to reverse bay park into.

Today, I parked just fine (it took a couple of times to make sure I wasn't extremely wonky). I am now a little bit skewed to my right with the exit on my left and cars parked either side of me. Today, I will probably be the last in the car park so pulling out won't be a fear for me but on a normal day, I am one of the first.

Can someone just clarify that if I pull forward out of my space far enough and lock hard to the left when almost out of the space, as long as obviously careful, that is how to exit the bay with cars parked on either side?
If I'm not straight, will this effect this at all? I am slightly skewed to the right (only slightly), should I turn half to the left when stationery to get straight?

I'm just working myself up into a huge panic... I only passed my test end of November and since, moved countries, moved jobs, and moved from a city to a rural area where everything is so tight and compact. I guess I'm looking for a bit of reassurance because for some reason, my driving instructor helped me with parking but not getting out of the space..
Original post by kiwicar

I'm just working myself up into a huge panic...

You need to calm down
Reply 2
Original post by hxnnxhgreen
You need to calm down

If it was that easy, I wouldn't have posted here but thank you for taking your time to message.

For the person who dm'd me - New account so can't reply yet! Not in NZ yet, waiting for visa apps to open (jobs lined up, etc, just covid rules obvs) but name is based on the fact I'm moving there.
Original post by kiwicar
If it was that easy, I wouldn't have posted here but thank you for taking your time to message.

For the person who dm'd me - New account so can't reply yet! Not in NZ yet, waiting for visa apps to open (jobs lined up, etc, just covid rules obvs) but name is based on the fact I'm moving there.

If you take a minute to calm down then you won't overthink it so much and pulling out will be easy.
Original post by kiwicar

As the person who just dm’d you, I am happy for you :smile: reason for asking is that I moved here around this time last year, and so far I’m loving it 😁 and I am also learning to drive here!
Reply 5
Get someone experienced to show you how to do it in your car. Every car has reference points and once you learn them, it should be a lot easier.
Reply 6
Original post by hxnnxhgreen
If you take a minute to calm down then you won't overthink it so much and pulling out will be easy.

Ah, thank you. Sorry your comment just struck a chord... Yeah.. it's weird when I get in the car it's actually fine, super slow just go but I have a whole day of work and for some reason it just sits in my mind and I sit and watch countless driving videos... I drove all November and December once I passed with NO issues - had January off and moved and now I'm like this. It's sickening. Thanks! I'll try to deep breath when I do it.
Original post by Laurence010401
As the person who just dm’d you, I am happy for you :smile: reason for asking is that I moved here around this time last year, and so far I’m loving it 😁 and I am also learning to drive here!

Thank you!! That's amazing, did you move on a working holiday visa or what? I'm so glad you're loving it, I'm so excited but feeling a little tired out with the wait to be let in as we've had the job lined up since last May! How is driving over there?!
Original post by kiwicar
Thank you!! That's amazing, did you move on a working holiday visa or what? I'm so glad you're loving it, I'm so excited but feeling a little tired out with the wait to be let in as we've had the job lined up since last May! How is driving over there?!

I am lucky enough to have a kiwi mother and that makes me a kiwi!
As for you - this time round, Cindy is adamant that the newly set border opening dates are definite, new variant or not :smile: so you should be able to enter the country without MIQ later in the year.
I am nowhere near doing any kind of bay turning, I’ve not even done multi lane roundabouts or intersections yet, or traffic lights. And nothing above 50kmh
Original post by kiwicar
Hi all,
I am a really nervous driver, especially when it comes to parking. Last week, I forward bay parked into a space wonky and when I reversed out I was so close to a car that I had a bit of a panic attack that I couldn't get out of the space. I managed safely but still... Now, I go to work ten minutes early to get an empty car park to reverse bay park into.

Today, I parked just fine (it took a couple of times to make sure I wasn't extremely wonky). I am now a little bit skewed to my right with the exit on my left and cars parked either side of me. Today, I will probably be the last in the car park so pulling out won't be a fear for me but on a normal day, I am one of the first.

Can someone just clarify that if I pull forward out of my space far enough and lock hard to the left when almost out of the space, as long as obviously careful, that is how to exit the bay with cars parked on either side?
If I'm not straight, will this effect this at all? I am slightly skewed to the right (only slightly), should I turn half to the left when stationery to get straight?

I'm just working myself up into a huge panic... I only passed my test end of November and since, moved countries, moved jobs, and moved from a city to a rural area where everything is so tight and compact. I guess I'm looking for a bit of reassurance because for some reason, my driving instructor helped me with parking but not getting out of the space..

It's the kind of thing that comes with experience - to some it comes naturally (i.e. quickly), others it takes longer. You're doing the correct thing in taking it slowly and carefully. I believe it's possible to get a lesson (or two) from an instructor on this, even if you have passed your test (budget and covid-induced lack of availability allowing). Practicing with someone who can give you pointers is a good idea to get your confidence up. Good luck with it.
I am really hoping that I will be able to master the parallel park one day.
The concerning thing is, I’m told that even drivers with decades of experience can’t parallel park properly, yet they expect a learner driver to be able to do it
I am really hoping that I will be able to master the parallel park one day.
The concerning thing is, I’m told that even drivers with decades of experience can’t parallel park properly, yet they expect a learner driver to be able to do it

as i mentioned before, try to learn the reference points in your car, it's only hard if you complicate it
Original post by user432
as i mentioned before, try to learn the reference points in your car, it's only hard if you complicate it

Well if the complication is optional then parallel parking should be easy for everyone!
Reply 12
I am lucky enough to have a kiwi mother and that makes me a kiwi!
As for you - this time round, Cindy is adamant that the newly set border opening dates are definite, new variant or not :smile: so you should be able to enter the country without MIQ later in the year.
I am nowhere near doing any kind of bay turning, I’ve not even done multi lane roundabouts or intersections yet, or traffic lights. And nothing above 50kmh

Ah that is amazing! Did you have to go into MIQ or was that not started when you got over there?
Thank you! I'd really love to get there sooner but as long as we get here this year, I'll be happy! I currently have a job here until June so the sooner the better then :smile: I'm a teacher so I could get a critical purposes visa, which would be amazing :smile:
Oh wow, when did you start driving? How is driving in NZ?

I managed to drive straight out of my bay yesterday with no panic :smile: And I parked with only 2 attempts today! Fingers crossed it wasn't just a fluke.
Well if the complication is optional then parallel parking should be easy for everyone!

it literally is. all your doing is moving your steering wheel to the left, then back to the right and straightening up.
it will come with time and practice as @BlueChicken mentioned
Original post by kiwicar
Ah that is amazing! Did you have to go into MIQ or was that not started when you got over there?
Thank you! I'd really love to get there sooner but as long as we get here this year, I'll be happy! I currently have a job here until June so the sooner the better then :smile: I'm a teacher so I could get a critical purposes visa, which would be amazing :smile:
Oh wow, when did you start driving? How is driving in NZ?

I managed to drive straight out of my bay yesterday with no panic :smile: And I parked with only 2 attempts today! Fingers crossed it wasn't just a fluke.

I did MIQ yes.
I started driving just before Christmas, but I passed the learner theory test 3 months ago today

Quick Reply

Latest