The Student Room Group

Birmingham unis

Which uni is the best in Birmingham to apply for?
birmingham and aston are quite good
Reply 2
Original post by eternaldevotiion
birmingham and aston are quite good

Is Birmingham city university a good one?
Original post by Brisjela

well it depends really, what do you class as good?

Hello,

Every university has its strengths and strong points and it's up to you to decide which attracts you more. If you're looking to pick a university in Birmingham I would advise looking at how good the university is for your chosen degree. Also, make a list of qualities you're looking for and compare the universities using this list.

*Ethel
Uni subject? Expected A level grades?
And how are you measuring 'best' - and why?
University of Birmingham.

Only if you want to study in Birmingham and can't get into Birmingham uni or Aston

Hi @Brisjela! Birmingham is a great city and you're spoiled for choice with so many universities here. The university that is best is a very personal thing, it's dependent on a huge number of factors.

As a first step, you'll need to see which unis offer the course you'd like to do. Not every uni will do every course, and those that do offer the same courses will have differences that can make one a better choice for someone than another. Compare the type of assessment, opportunities for placements or years abroad, modules and teaching across the options you have. Courses with the same title could be quite different at different places!

You'll also want to think about location. Some are closer to the city center whilst others are further out. I love that the University of Birmingham is a bit out of the city center. Day to day life is a bit more chilled and I can get to everything I need in a quick walk, but when I want to it's really easy to get to the city center on the train or the bus. Maybe you're someone who would enjoy being closer to the city center every day? Where the uni is will also decide where you want to live once you move out of university owned halls, housing closer to city center universities can be more expensive.

Other things that will vary are things like the clubs offered at student unions, how big your cohort might be, where you can go for things like grocery shopping or to use a gym. How you feel about all of these will be personal to you, so you'll have to do some research. I would also recommend trying to go to some open days where you can, unis can feel very different when you visit in person.

There isn't one right answer to your question, but with some time, research and asking questions you can find the right answer for you, good luck!

Jude - 3rd Year Theoretical Physics Student, University of Birmingham
Definitely University of Birmingham. It has a gorgeous campus and I love the well-being officers here. They make sure your rights are being fought for and really deal with your problems. I have a course-mate living in an accommodation in the city centre (a bit far from the uni) and students who are from Aston or City have their eyes light up when they hear the name of our uni. It’s basically a lot more prestigious.

Quick Reply

Latest