The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Taking a car to Cardiff Uni

I am starting at Cardiff uni in the autumn and can't decide how important choosing accommodation where I can apply for a parking space is. Having taken a gap year I have become very used to and reliant on my car and would like to take it but don't know if it is worth it?
Original post by Wombatsalamander
I am starting at Cardiff uni in the autumn and can't decide how important choosing accommodation where I can apply for a parking space is. Having taken a gap year I have become very used to and reliant on my car and would like to take it but don't know if it is worth it?

Hey!

Good question! Which accommodations are you looking at? :smile:
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Original post by 5hyl33n
Hey!

Good question! Which accommodations are you looking at? :smile:

Quite a few at this point as I'm trying to decide what is the most important thing when choosing them! All the Taly ones, Aberdare, Cartwright, Collum, Roy Jenkins, and Student Houses.
Quite a few at this point as I'm trying to decide what is the most important thing when choosing them! All the Taly ones, Aberdare, Cartwright, Collum, Roy Jenkins, and Student Houses.

That's fine! Choosing accommodation isn't easy, I know! :sadnod:

You need to think about a few factors when choosing your accommodation. Below are a few examples:

Price

Ensuite or shared bathroom

Size

Social life

Distance to university

Distance to local shops

Distance to the city centre

Surroundings

Security

All of the accommodations cater to different needs. Have a look at the university website for a full breakdown of all the accommodations. Make a comparison chart and eliminate any accommodations that you don't like. Finally, rank your choices.

In terms of having a car, it's not extremely important. The majority of students (including myself) won't have a car and have coped fine so far. When I started university in September 2021, I was also thinking about taking a car but realised it would be too expensive, and I could be saving that money towards better accommodation next year or for other bills. Instead, what people do is form a group and walk to wherever they are going together. It definitely helps pass the walking time much quicker. Personally, I tend to walk alone because I prefer it that way. :tongue:

Remember, the price of keeping your car at the university accommodation is not the only cost you need to consider. You will need to pay for parking wherever you go - E.G. the city centre or the university. Also, fuel which isn't cheap!

If you still think you will need a car, consider bringing a bike instead.

I hope this helped! Let me know if you have any other questions!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 5hyl33n
That's fine! Choosing accommodation isn't easy, I know! :sadnod:

You need to think about a few factors when choosing your accommodation. Below are a few examples:

Price

Ensuite or shared bathroom

Size

Social life

Distance to university

Distance to local shops

Distance to the city centre

Surroundings

Security

All of the accommodations cater to different needs. Have a look at the university website for a full breakdown of all the accommodations. Make a comparison chart and eliminate any accommodations that you don't like. Finally, rank your choices.

In terms of having a car, it's not extremely important. The majority of students (including myself) won't have a car and have coped fine so far. When I started university in September 2021, I was also thinking about taking a car but realised it would be too expensive, and I could be saving that money towards better accommodation next year or for other bills. Instead, what people do is form a group and walk to wherever they are going together. It definitely helps pass the walking time much quicker. Personally, I tend to walk alone because I prefer it that way. :tongue:

Remember, the price of keeping your car at the university accommodation is not the only cost you need to consider. You will need to pay for parking wherever you go - E.G. the city centre or the university. Also, fuel which isn't cheap!

If you still think you will need a car, consider bringing a bike instead.

I hope this helped! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you, very detailed!! I’ve definitely been looking at all those things you mentioned.

I hadn’t thought of petrol costs tbh, that would definitely be a saving. I don’t think I would use it that much though, like if I was going into town I would walk or get a bus. I was more thinking of being able to get home or go further afield if needed.
Just to add to that, I will probably be going home quite often and train tickets aren’t that cheap for me to get home so there could be a potential saving there. I would only take it if I got parking at my halls as it’s quite cheap that way. I will be paying for the insurance whether I have the car with me or not as I will keep it at home and use it when I am there anyway - because of where I like a car is pretty much a necessity!
Thank you, very detailed!! I’ve definitely been looking at all those things you mentioned.

I hadn’t thought of petrol costs tbh, that would definitely be a saving. I don’t think I would use it that much though, like if I was going into town I would walk or get a bus. I was more thinking of being able to get home or go further afield if needed.

Just to add to that, I will probably be going home quite often and train tickets aren’t that cheap for me to get home so there could be a potential saving there. I would only take it if I got parking at my halls as it’s quite cheap that way. I will be paying for the insurance whether I have the car with me or not as I will keep it at home and use it when I am there anyway - because of where I like a car is pretty much a necessity!

No problem :smile:

Yes, train tickets can be expensive. Unfortunately, I don't know how expensive that is compared to keeping a car. Definitely compare the prices before settling on bringing your car to university!

Quick Reply