The Student Room Group

Maths gcse

Hi so basically I’m currently doing foundation maths GCSE however for the career I want to get into in the future I need at least a 6. I’m currently working on a 4/5 but I genuinely need to do higher- do you think its worth it to move to higher Im willing to work as hard as I can because I really want a 6:frown: does anyone have any advice and tips to improve in maths and wha I should do..
Reply 1
Original post by user2293
Hi so basically I’m currently doing foundation maths GCSE however for the career I want to get into in the future I need at least a 6. I’m currently working on a 4/5 but I genuinely need to do higher- do you think its worth it to move to higher Im willing to work as hard as I can because I really want a 6:frown: does anyone have any advice and tips to improve in maths and wha I should do..

Focus on topics you aren't comfortable with, its mainly down to practise. A simple google search of GCSE (insert topic) questions will bring up a multitude of questions for you to do. If you dont understand the topic at all, try to find a youtube video on it that explains it first.
Sure i’ll do that, do you think that the jump from foundation to higher is really big
Reply 3
Sure i’ll do that, do you think that the jump from foundation to higher is really big

I've never sat a foundation paper, but i'd assume its a big jump. The top questions on the foundation would be around the level as the easier questions on higher.

What year are you in? You need to talk to your teacher ...
I just took functional skills instead couldn't bare the thkught of retaking my maths GCSE lol it was torture doing it the first time

Hi there.

Which career are you considering?

I personally would advise you to have a chat with your teachers. As a Maths GCSE resitter doing foundation and getting 5 then resitting at higher, I recommend you do higher, work to the best of your ability and see how it goes.

Also youtube videos for me were great ways to aid understanding on harder topics.

Best wishes.
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

I personally would advise you to have a chat with your teachers. As a Maths GCSE resitter doing foundation and getting 5 then resitting at higher, I recommend you do higher, work to the best of your ability and see how it goes.

Also youtube videos for me were great ways to aid understanding on harder topics.

Best wishes.

Hello!

I really want to get into veterinary medicine. I have talked to many of my teachers and today I was told that the jump from foundation to higher is very big which I know is true but it’s completely put me off. I’m currently in year 11 too so I don’t have much time so it’s understandable why my teachers are telling me to stay in foundation. I’m not sure what to do I’m not the best at maths.

But thank you for your advice I appreciate it greatly
Have you explained to them that you want to be a vet so a 4 or 5 is about as much use to you as a chocolate teapot? If not, do that. They may think they're saving you from having to resit, whereas if you don't make that jump now you'll have to make it in year 12 while trying to do A levels alongside retaking your GCSE maths.
Hello!

I really want to get into veterinary medicine. I have talked to many of my teachers and today I was told that the jump from foundation to higher is very big which I know is true but it’s completely put me off. I’m currently in year 11 too so I don’t have much time so it’s understandable why my teachers are telling me to stay in foundation. I’m not sure what to do I’m not the best at maths.

But thank you for your advice I appreciate it greatly

I completely understand your situation having been there myself as an aspiring medic.

It's difficult to give you advice as I'm not fully aware of your circumstance however I recommend you do maths at higher tier this year. Don't be afraid to drop a subject if you need to give catching up with higher tier content more time.

A level Chemistry, which I imagine will be required by most vet med schools, is based on higher tier Maths. I also imagine most med schools will want at least a 6 in Maths so although it's not essential to do higher tier maths/ resit at higher tier it may be needed for the two situations above.

You have little to lose doing higher tier this year as even if you do work hard and get a 4 or 5 it'll be no different from getting the same grade at foundation. I wish I had more confidence to do higher tier in year 11 as when I was in year 12, although I got a good chemistry grade, I couldn't help but feel behind everyone else who had done higher tier maths whilst I was resitting it.
I completely understand your situation having been there myself as an aspiring medic.

It's difficult to give you advice as I'm not fully aware of your circumstance however I recommend you do maths at higher tier this year. Don't be afraid to drop a subject if you need to give catching up with higher tier content more time.

A level Chemistry, which I imagine will be required by most vet med schools, is based on higher tier Maths. I also imagine most med schools will want at least a 6 in Maths so although it's not essential to do higher tier maths/ resit at higher tier it may be needed for the two situations above.

You have little to lose doing higher tier this year as even if you do work hard and get a 4 or 5 it'll be no different from getting the same grade at foundation. I wish I had more confidence to do higher tier in year 11 as when I was in year 12, although I got a good chemistry grade, I couldn't help but feel behind everyone else who had done higher tier maths whilst I was resitting it.

YES exactly!!!
I’m choosing biology and chemistry next year and I have heard how maths based chemistry is and it’s scaring me. Also what i’m afraid of is not even getting a 4 in higher tier maths and then having to resit the whole GCSE and if I were to fail I wouldn’t even have the entry requirements to pick Chemistry as a subject for A level:frown:
YES exactly!!!
I’m choosing biology and chemistry next year and I have heard how maths based chemistry is and it’s scaring me. Also what i’m afraid of is not even getting a 4 in higher tier maths and then having to resit the whole GCSE and if I were to fail I wouldn’t even have the entry requirements to pick Chemistry as a subject for A level:frown:

If you are Year 11 then it's too late to try to do Higher - focus on getting a 5 first.
Original post by Muttley79
If you are Year 11 then it's too late to try to do Higher - focus on getting a 5 first.

I’ve just gotten my mock results back and I have gotten a 5:smile: I’m only aiming for a 6 and it’s never too late if I put the work in.
I’ve just gotten my mock results back and I have gotten a 5:smile: I’m only aiming for a 6 and it’s never too late if I put the work in.

Have you tried a Higher paper though? I teach Maths so am aware of the HUGE content differences.
Original post by Muttley79
Have you tried a Higher paper though? I teach Maths so am aware of the HUGE content differences.

Hiya just an update since I posted this. My school moved me to higher two months before my GCSE exams and of course my teacher was busy teaching the foundation class so I had no teacher. I self taught myself and I managed to get a grade 7
Hi there.

Best wishes.

hi guys im in year 9 can you give me some study tips please!

Quick Reply

Latest