The Student Room Group

Just realised, 5'9 isn't that tall

Okay, so i have zero perception of height, my dad recently bought a 5'9 inflatable champagne bottle , i went to my room and started hugging it and stuff comparing heights like it's my date or something lmao, and i realised the difference isn't really "pronounced" it felt more of a companion. I thinking what could 6ft actually feel like. I'm 5'2 for reference depending if im wearing shoes or not

Scroll to see replies

yeah 5'9 is roughly average for males. you don't usually notice much of a difference as long as your eyes are aound the same level. however, consider how champagne bottles are not the same shape as human beings. the height difference will be more pronounced if you compare your height in the mirror with a person who is 5'9.
A lot of ******ed women that are usually short and average like 5'5 and under would think that for w/e reason. I'm not even joking but there are women that are barely even friggin 5'2 that somehow think a 5'9 guy is too "short." Taller women are usually more chill and don't make it a big deal. I'm 5'4 and I've never once gained the interest of women shorter than me cause if a guy thats average height is too short for these oompa loompas then i'm out of consideration. If you're any guy under 6 feet never let idiotic women ruin your self esteem, they're usually trash.
You're 5'2; there's still a 7 inch difference, humble yourself. Why were you treating an inflatable champange bottle as a human anyways?
Reply 4
Original post by ammarqureshi55
A lot of ******ed women that are usually short and average like 5'5 and under would think that for w/e reason. I'm not even joking but there are women that are barely even friggin 5'2 that somehow think a 5'9 guy is too "short." Taller women are usually more chill and don't make it a big deal. I'm 5'4 and I've never once gained the interest of women shorter than me cause if a guy thats average height is too short for these oompa loompas then i'm out of consideration. If you're any guy under 6 feet never let idiotic women ruin your self esteem, they're usually trash.

Huh I'm barely 18 when did I talk about dating
Reply 5
Original post by hungrysalamander
You're 5'2; there's still a 7 inch difference, humble yourself. Why were you treating an inflatable champange bottle as a human anyways?

Chill
Reply 6

aww, someone can't get a girlfriend
I'm 5'4 and I've never once gained the interest of women shorter than me cause if a guy thats average height is too short for these oompa loompas then i'm out of consideration.

It is curious that you complain about women being too selective yet you refer to women as oompa loompas. Sounds like the issue is not your height, but your attitude towards women.
Reply 8
I love when manlets whinge about women ignoring them for being too diddy
Original post by gjd800
I love when manlets whinge about women ignoring them for being too diddy

They're right though, aren't they?
Original post by Crazed cat lady
It is curious that you complain about women being too selective yet you refer to women as oompa loompas. Sounds like the issue is not your height, but your attitude towards women.

That's kinda naive though. Yes, that guy sounds pretty weird. But realistically, attractive men can easily get women, even if they are rude to them. Literal criminals and rapists have girlfriends. Calling a girl an "oompa loompa" is pretty mild in the grand scheme of things.
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
They're right though, aren't they?

That's kinda naive though. Yes, that guy sounds pretty weird. But realistically, attractive men can easily get women, even if they are rude to them. Literal criminals and rapists have girlfriends. Calling a girl an "oompa loompa" is pretty mild in the grand scheme of things.

Sometimes they are right, yes. But I think it's usually very much a young person problem and women grow out of it (pardon the pun) quicker than people think. Otherwise,it's a handy excuse to shroud different factors

Yh but there are also men who imposes a 'weight' or 'body type' requirement when they weigh more than that or is not of that body type, but that's just deemed as a 'preference'? So why can't girls impose a 'height' requirement even if they are not that height?
Original post by gjd800
Sometimes they are right, yes. But I think it's usually very much a young person problem and women grow out of it (pardon the pun) quicker than people think. Otherwise,it's a handy excuse to shroud different factors

I wouldn't say it's a "young person problem". If anything, it's easier to overlook a "negative feature" about someone for a silly teenage fling which obviously isn't going to go anywhere. More difficult to overlook a critical aspect of someone's appearance when you're considering a potential future husband.

I'm in my 20s, and I reasonably regularly hear female friends and colleagues complain about male short height as a "negative".

Short stature in men is a huge negative factor for dating. I have no issue with that, everyone is perfectly entitled to their preferences when it comes to dating. But people shouldn't try to deny the reality.
Reply 13
I wouldn't say it's a "young person problem". If anything, it's easier to overlook a "negative feature" about someone for a silly teenage fling which obviously isn't going to go anywhere. More difficult to overlook a critical aspect of someone's appearance when you're considering a potential future husband.

I'm in my 20s, and I reasonably regularly hear female friends and colleagues complain about male short height as a "negative".

Short stature in men is a huge negative factor for dating. I have no issue with that, everyone is perfectly entitled to their preferences when it comes to dating. But people shouldn't try to deny the reality.

I could only point to like 2 women I know for whom it is an issue, and it has been this way for the past 15 or so years when the rest who cared (which was never all of them) just got over themselves a bit.

Not to deny your own experiences but I struggle to think of it as the norm because I've been about a bit, been around a long while, and it's always struck me as a minority thing that mainly bits of kids care about.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
I could only point to like 2 women I know for whom it is an issue, and it has been this way for the past 15 or so years when the rest who cared (which was never all of them) just got over themselves a bit.

Not to deny your own experiences but I struggle to think of it as the norm because I've been about a bit, been around a long while, and it's always struck me as a minority thing that mainly bits of kids care about.

You think only 2 women you know care about the height of their partner? Sorry, but I think you are incorrect. Basically everyone cares about the physical appearance of a potential sexual partner.

That would be like me trying to claim that people don't really care about what someone's face looks like when it comes to dating.

Do you really think that all women that you know, except for 2 of them, would be willing to date a man who was shorter than them? I highly highly doubt that. (Although obviously it would be impossible to prove one way or the other.)
Lmafo, my man said he went into a room and started hugging an inflatable champagne bottle. Lol
Reply 16
You think only 2 women you know care about the height of their partner? Sorry, but I think you are incorrect. Basically everyone cares about the physical appearance of a potential sexual partner.

That would be like me trying to claim that people don't really care about what someone's face looks like when it comes to dating.

Do you really think that all women that you know, except for 2 of them, would be willing to date a man who was shorter than them? I highly highly doubt that. (Although obviously it would be impossible to prove one way or the other.)

I didn't say that, did I? My anecdote is about as valid as yours. There's levels to 'caring', and there are other trade offs etc to be made, as is normal and entirely uncontroversial (or one would think).

Nobody mentioned 'shorter than them' - the person that first mentioned height was complaining about being taller than the women in question and still being thought 'too small'.

Please only respond to the context herein, not random prejudices or ideas not mentioned here.
(edited 2 years ago)

Maybe your charming personality is getting in the way of gaining their interest??
My Mum's taller than my Dad and my cousin is taller than her husband. I'm 5'5" and, like my family, I hope I find someone who doesn't judge the opposite sex or choose their partners based on height.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 19
I think the height difference of 7 inches is obvious but not pronounced over those kinda ranges, once you get past like 6'2" / 6'3" as I have, you start to realise you make everyone around you look absolutely tiny even if theyre not. My mates at school wont stand next to me in photos so they dont look short... ):

Quick Reply

Latest