The Student Room Group

A level English literature

Hi… I’m not where I’d like to be at in English literature

I do the Edexcel paper
The handmaids tale
Frankenstein
A streetcar named desire
Poetry

I’m on a C currently but I want to turn it to an A* if any could help please?

Essay reviews, Essay plans, Revision techniques, How to structure my Answer would all be very helpful!!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
hey there. I also do the edexcel paper, The Handmaids Tale and Frankenstein. eng lit is one of my strengths, it comes pretty natural to me so i think I can help you!

idk what you need help with specifically though. id say read the books more than once make sure you understand whats happening and significance of that to the general theme of the book i.e The "ceremony" being an example of the objectification of women who are used only for their wombs in The Handmaid's Tale.

also know your quotes! make sure there's a couple you know either by heart or where they are in the book that you can target for ANY question like "wombs on legs" for The Handmaid's Tale or something about the creature's appearance or revenge in Frankenstein.

narrative style and language are also so important! mention the way the authors write in ALL your essays the epistolary form, long vivid descriptions of nature in Frankenstein, the flashbacks, dialogue filling in story gaps, slang language (Moira uses a lot) in The Handmaid's Tale.

regarding structure. answer the question immediately in your first line jn the introduction. then focus on themes, theres always more than one and even sub-themes or variations under each. explore the character's attitudes, the evidence, contextual factors whilst analysing the themes. then go to structure, form, style, literary devices and the title and end with a summarizing conclusion.

yeah thats pretty much it. for poetry it's good to already club some poems together so you know which ones to compare with which and really read up on the poets lives and the time they lived in. you'll find a lot of the poetry relates to experiences they had like love or loss.
I have an essay can I type it up here and pls give me some feedback before I submit it
I just got predicted a C for English lit and I'm doing 1984 and HMT - currently re-reading the books whilst listening to the audiobook so I can retain it better (forgetful). To be fair, I've never properly revised for English Literature so I thought I could get away winging it but ermm i guess i needed this wake-up call 🥲 You're not alone, let's get ourselves to an A/A* by the next few months! Also, watch Eve Bennett's youtube video on "how to get an A*/9 in English literature" - it has some really useful tips!
(edited 2 years ago)
fr gcse I used to wing it and I can’t do that anymore are you year 12?
Original post by Joseph Fletcher
fr gcse I used to wing it and I can’t do that anymore are you year 12?

same 😭 and nope, im year 13, and you?
Original post by Joseph Fletcher
Hi… I’m not where I’d like to be at in English literature

I do the Edexcel paper
The handmaids tale
Frankenstein
A streetcar named desire
Poetry

I’m on a C currently but I want to turn it to an A* if any could help please?

Essay reviews, Essay plans, Revision techniques, How to structure my Answer would all be very helpful!!

I literally did all of those if you have any specific questions.

Revision wise just know the texts very well and have a bank of quotes that can be applied to many different topics.

Structurally you want to try and make sophisticated links. Get it all to flow as one. Interweave context and try to join together each paragraph and strand of your argument.
Could you send a model essay so I can see your structure because mine isn’t working at all.
Hey guys, i just got my exam results back and I got a level 6 :') this is the first time! hard work does pay off,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending