The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Bath vs Durham for math

I'm a black African girl.
I got an offer from Durham for Mathematics and Statistics, and I'm currently waiting for the University of bath to respond to my application for Mathematics, Statistics and Data Science.
So my question is if hopefully, I get an offer from bath as well, which university do you think has the best mathematics and computer science department? and which will you say is best to attend generally? Bath or Durham?
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ella.ukaaaa
I'm a black African girl.
I got an offer from Durham for Mathematics and Statistics, and I'm currently waiting for the University of bath to respond to my application for Mathematics, Statistics and Data Science.
So my question is if hopefully, I get an offer from bath as well, which university do you think has the best mathematics and computer science department? and which will you say is best to attend generally? Bath or Durham?

Bath - much stronger for Maths ...
Bath is significantly better regarded for Mathematics - one of the best departments in the country. However, it's really down to which course you enjoy more. Prestige means nothing if you're unhappy.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Indililam1
Bath is significantly better regarded for Mathematics - one of the best departments in the country. However, it's really down to which course you enjoy more. Prestige means nothing if you're unhappy.

Which 10 university Maths courses are best in the UK? Asking as an international student?
Reply 4

Can I ask please you why you think that? Are you at Bath? With Durham’s new maths and Computing building this should improve Durham. Also marginally higher entry at Durham so overall standard should not obviously be lower.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Tessdp
Can I ask please you why you think that? Are you at Bath? With Durhams new maths and Comp building this should improve Durham. Also marginally higher entry at Durham so overall standard should not obviously be lower.

Can you please answer my question above?
Original post by Tessdp
Can I ask please you why you think that? Are you at Bath? With Durham’s new maths and Computing building this should improve Durham. Also marginally higher entry at Durham so overall standard should not obviously be lower.

Not a student at Bath, but Bath's maths department is known to rank significantly higher than Durham. A new building isn't guaranteed to effect the quality of teaching/research and nor does higher entry requirements (their entry requirements are both A*AA/A*A*A, regardless.)
@Muttley79 is a Maths Teacher and probably knows more on this than me - I'd love to know your input, if you have any spare time, Muttley :smile:
Not a student at Bath, but Bath's maths department is known to rank significantly higher than Durham. A new building isn't guaranteed to effect the quality of teaching/research and nor does higher entry requirements (their entry requirements are both A*AA/A*A*A, regardless.)
@Muttley79 is a Maths Teacher and probably knows more on this than me - I'd love to know your input, if you have any spare time, Muttley :smile:

Yes Bath is much stronger for Maths - I posed that above :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
Yes Bath is much stronger for Maths - I posed that above :smile:

Did see the post, just wanted confirmation. Thank you for your help for all things maths-related! :smile:
Original post by Manvith
Can you please answer my question above?

Rankings are subjective, meaning that the placements are dependent on what they are assessed on - no two are the same and I would never recommend making a choice solely based on perceived prestige. However, as a general rule of thumb, I've seen Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, Warwick, Edinburgh, UCL, Manchester, Bath, Bristol and King's College London highly recommended for their maths departments, to name a few.
Take this with a pinch of salt as I'm only an applicant myself. Someone else out there is probably much more informed on this than me.
Original post by Tessdp

A building doesn't improve a department!

Bath is very well know for its Maths department, Durham isn't. It's not a university my top students consider .. Oxbr
A building doesn't improve a department!

Bath is very well know for its Maths department, Durham isn't. It's not a university my top students consider .. Oxbr

Sorry, but why does it matter what your top students consider? Are they experts at knowing what unis are the best across the entire UK? Maybe they choose other factors other than prestige and what people see as better?
Original post by SpaceLover29
S

I teach Maths so have many students going on to a Maths degree ...Durham does not have a strong Maths department.
I teach Maths so have many students going on to a Maths degree ...Durham does not have a strong Maths department.

And I'm sure other maths teachers would say the complete opposite. What makes your students so special that they are the decider of what is a good university?
(edited 2 years ago)
And

I know NO maths teacher that would rate Durham above Bath. I've taught at three schools and know many other teachers.

Bath is MUCH stronger than Durham.
I know NO maths teacher that would rate Durham above Bath. I've taught at three schools and know many other teachers.

And what makes you so special that any teacher who disagrees with you would be wrong?
Reply 16

Do you think Economics and Mathematics is a good course at Bath?
An

You lose the argument when you attack a person and misrepresent what they have said.
Original post by Manvith
Which 10 university Maths courses are best in the UK? Asking as an international student?

Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and Imperial are all pretty much equal at the top. Bristol is the next best by most people's reckoning, albeit a bit of a gap from the first 4. After that the differences in strength are a lot smaller and the next 5 could vary a lot depending on you ask and what year you ask them in...but the first 4 and to a lesser extent Bristol as 5th have been pretty consistently considered the top maths courses in the UK for the last decade at least.
Reply 19
Original post by artful_lounger
Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and Imperial are all pretty much equal at the top. Bristol is the next best by most people's reckoning, albeit a bit of a gap from the first 4. After that the differences in strength are a lot smaller and the next 5 could vary a lot depending on you ask and what year you ask them in...but the first 4 and to a lesser extent Bristol as 5th have been pretty consistently considered the top maths courses in the UK for the last decade at least.

What jobs can we enter with a mathematics degree?

Latest