Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A few friends and I were discussing in the bar yesterday whether it's possible to distinguish between American and British people, based purely on their faces. Hence I've tried to see if my theory works, and have made a small quiz which gives you a bunch of random American and British faces and asks you to identify the Brit.
    Tell me how you get on, and give your own theory!

http://www.jamiefrost.co.uk/whosthebrit

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for completing the test.
    So how well did you do? By pure luck you would be getting around 50%, hence if you get greater, it is likely that there is some way to distinguish between Americans and Brits.
    The average score is 10/20.
    Your score was 10/20.

ReputationRep:
    no it's definitely not always possible. sometimes you can tell about people-- for example i can sometimes tell a person is french based on the way they hold their mouth. there are some features that are "british"-- certain types of noses and positioning of the eyes that are characteristically british. of course not all british people have these noses/eyes so you can't always tell and there are people who are british citizens whose families don't originate there. since americans come from all over they're hard to pin point but you can tell an american based on the way they are dressed. if they're wearing flip flops or abercrombie they're probably american. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I dunno. Well I do know that even with the sound turned off, for some reason I can usually tell the difference btw an American TV show and a British programme. I'm not sure why, perhaps what they're wearing (Americans tend to wear block colours for TV, sum1 who studies media told me once, but that wouldn't be the only reason). Yep, not sure why :confused:

As for faces tho, no I'm not so good at telling the difference, unless I actually hear them talking

ReputationRep:
    14/20 and no you cant

ReputationRep:
    So how well did you do? By pure luck you would be getting around 50%, hence if you get greater, it is likely that there is some way to distinguish between Americans and Brits.
    The average score is 11/20.
    Your score was 13/20.

ReputationRep:
    Just to say the average score is actually higher than 11/20 - I accidently logged a few 0/20 scores while testing it.

ReputationRep:
    In American there is a centre for telepathy, you are invited to guess the number of 20 cards held in the air. Now the average is of course quite low, however they still convince people in telepathy as every now and again some by does really well. What they have of course ignored is the fact that in any test with the same probability of sucess there is a vairance from the mean and hence people will do well just due to the setup of the test. Hence i would not be suprised if someone gets 20 of out 20 on your test if you managed to test enough people. This does not mean they know the difference tho.

ReputationRep:
    14/20

ReputationRep:
    The average score is 12/20.

Your score was 12/20.

ReputationRep:
    8 in my case.

ReputationRep:
    8/20

ReputationRep:
    Your score was 15/20.

..But I think I'm just in a lucky mood I do notice this kind of thing more when going around Europe, being able to guess what language some passer-by will be speaking..

ReputationRep:
    16/20

The Americans tend to have nicer looking teeth, lol.

ReputationRep:
    For those who got large scores, try and find an equivalent test to tell the difference between Americans and Canadians

ReputationRep:
    I got 16/20.

Americans and Brits smile different. It's much easier to differentiate if you can actually see the person in video and see how they carry themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    For those who got large scores, try and find an equivalent test to tell the difference between Americans and Canadians
    That would be more difficult. I don't think I could do it strictly from pictures, but I know I'd be able to do alright if I saw the person and how they carry themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pig)
    Your score was 15/20.

There's more to it than just the faces though I reckon.
    15/20 also, and I agree with pig. I looked at teeth, hair style, clothes... and made some judgement in my head.

ReputationRep:
    The average score is 12/20.
    Your score was 11/20.

ReputationRep:
    15/20

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.