The Student Room Group

How can I convince my parents to let me study what I want?

[deleted]
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ash_m_13
Hi everyone:smile: I'm currently in Year 12 but have already started planning for university with school. I've known for quite some time that I want to have a career in Film, preferably directing. I'm probably planning to go to film school after university but certain things make it easier to get in.

I initially spoke to both parents separately; my father initially seemed to be on my side, my mother was very much against it. I'm worried that if I speak to them together/they start speaking to each other, she'll turn him completely against it. TBH my mother is the one I really need to convince.

I would really appreciate any advice, prior knowledge or anything else you all have to say :smile:

I'm not sure why you think RG unis are relevant for FILM - look at the newer unis - thye have a better rep with this.

YOU are doing the studying and you'll have the SFE debt - ignore them.
Hi everyone:smile: I'm currently in Year 12 but have already started planning for university with school. I've known for quite some time that I want to have a career in Film, preferably directing. I'm probably planning to go to film school after university but certain things make it easier to get in.

I initially agreed to my parents' suggestion that I study French and English at university as a joint degree, but the more I think about it my heart really isn't in English at a university level. I did a fair amount of research and found my perfect course: French and Film Studies.

I've put together explanations of why I think this is a good choice, and since I know it really matters to them I found 5 Russell Group universities that offer this course, two of which are in the top 10 for university ranking in the UK.

I initially spoke to both parents separately; my father initially seemed to be on my side, my mother was very much against it. I'm worried that if I speak to them together/they start speaking to each other, she'll turn him completely against it. TBH my mother is the one I really need to convince.

I've done some more research on employability after this degree so I can now answer my mother's questions about that. I think job opportunities are the main thing I need to find out about in order to convince her, but she's also pretty dismissive of it as apparently "there's nothing to study or analyse in film." For some more context, they've both known for a while that I want to work in film and have grudgingly accepted it.

I've also decided that if all fails, I will compromise and study purely French at university. I'm more concerned with the outcome of my degree than I am with what is on it, but aside from finding this a more enjoyable route of study, I think it would be very helpful in getting into film school (I've done some extra research on that.)

I would really appreciate any advice, prior knowledge or anything else you all have to say :smile:

Film Studies is an academic subject and won't teach you much about making films. Look at film production or film making courses, which, as pointed out above, tend to be at non-RG institutions.

I initially agreed to my parents' suggestion that I study French and English at university as a joint degree, but the more I think about it my heart really isn't in English at a university level. I did a fair amount of research and found my perfect course: French and Film Studies.

I've put together explanations of why I think this is a good choice, and since I know it really matters to them I found 5 Russell Group universities that offer this course, two of which are in the top 10 for university ranking in the UK.

I've done some more research on employability after this degree so I can now answer my mother's questions about that. I think job opportunities are the main thing I need to find out about in order to convince her, but she's also pretty dismissive of it as apparently "there's nothing to study or analyse in film." For some more context, they've both known for a while that I want to work in film and have grudgingly accepted it.

I've also decided that if all fails, I will compromise and study purely French at university. I'm more concerned with the outcome of my degree than I am with what is on it, but aside from finding this a more enjoyable route of study, I think it would be very helpful in getting into film school (I've done some extra research on that.)

In the nicest way possible - they aren't sitting the degree so it has nothing to do with them. Of course it is important to ask the for advice and take them into consideration but as for the final decision on a degree course, you are the one that has to do it for 3+ years so you need to make sure you pick a subject that you would be happy doing. Its not like GCSE or A level where you can switch with no financial impact - if you decide after 1 year of a course that you hate it, that's £9k gone. Then again, I haven't studied film etc so I am not an expert on any of this. But make sure you make the right decision for you - not just to please your parents.

Thinking its not your decision

Filtering on the basis a uni is member of the RG without considering what the RG is

Using league tables top 10 as some sort of relevant metric

Picking an arbitrary degree to appease other people

Wether or not you study film or another subject, go work in media/film industry or another, go to X uni or Y uni. Honestly i think you are making quite a lot of classic mistakes in how you approach looking at university.

I would start by looking at the jobs you want, how did those people get their, then IF its a certain look at the courses and check the typical graduate outcomes of students on those courses. As to picking a university their are lots of great reasons to pick a university which may well be a Russell Group, but picking it on the basis that it is a RG is not the right reason (I remember my head of 6-form pumping out that nonsense when I was in school, she had no clue what the Russell Group really is, schools try to encourage it as they think it makes them look good).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending