The Student Room Group

Hating pgce 2021/22

I’ve never been one to hate life so much. It’s all because of my pgce experience.
I’ve even worked a full time job at the same time as my degree. That was hard work but I never hated my day to day life this much. Every time I wake up in the morning, I can't wait until I get home so that I can tick the day off. I feel like I am counting my life away. I refuse to give the course up because I've already done a term. However I am utterly exhausted, and I feel like I have turned into a really depressed, negative insecure person.

My first placement was okay. The school had behaviour issues but I could deal with it. It was just boring being there everyday and the staff were very cliquey. But regardless, I just went with it and pushed through the first term and thought i’d enjoy my second one better.

The problem with my second placement is my mentor. He’s constantly nit picking small things like joining when handwriting, not marking books at lunch time because there’s ‘other’ things that need to be done. I’ve walked into the classroom with him and his ta (who never actually does anything to help when I teach but i’m constantly told I need to direct other adults in the room to meet the standards) talking and suddenly they go silent. The conversation gets turned to something random like ‘what you having for lunch’. I’ve cried in the bathroom too many times. My work life balance is total ****. Having to be in an hour before and being given the side eye if you leave before 5. Being assessed against crap teachers standards that experienced teachers struggle to do. I’m honestly tired of it. It’s endless and miserable. No wonder people don’t go into teaching after their PGCE. It really isnt worth it

Side note: My uni wouldn’t do anything about it because they always support the schools and say ‘PGCE year is difficult’. They’re horrendous with listening and solving problems.

I’m 100% sure I won’t ever teach again. The plan is to push through this year and leave this profession forever. I’ve always heard pgce year is hard but I didn’t think it would be hard because of people around me. Is anyone else not enjoying their pgce year?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by scatterbrainpgce
I’ve never been one to hate life so much. It’s all because of my pgce experience.
I’ve even worked a full time job at the same time as my degree. That was hard work but I never hated my day to day life this much.

My first placement was okay. The school had behaviour issues but I could deal with it. It was just boring being there everyday and the staff were very cliquey. But regardless, I just went with it and pushed through the first term and thought i’d enjoy my second one better.

The problem with my second placement is my mentor. He’s constantly nit picking small things like joining when handwriting, not marking books at lunch time because there’s ‘other’ things that need to be done. I’ve walked into the classroom with him and his ta (who never actually does anything to help when I teach) talking and suddenly they go silent. The conversation gets turned to something random like ‘what you having for lunch’. I’ve cried in the bathroom too many times. My uni wouldn’t do anything about it because they always support the schools and say ‘PGCE year is difficult’

I’m 100% sure I won’t ever teach again. The plan is to push through this year and leave this profession forever. I’ve always heard pgce year is hard but I didn’t think it would be hard because of people around me. Is anyone else not enjoying their pgce year?

I feel you big time, I'm in a very similar situation but I'm a TA thinking about whether to go into teaching... After having so many experiences that are basically the same as yours, I've decided to search elsewhere for jobs, teaching is a 100% no from me. At the end of the year you can hold yourself up high, you'll have a PGCE and probably a much stronger attitude to difficult situations, because at the end of the day it's experiences like this that mould us into our great futures and I have no doubt you'll have one too.
Original post by LMoatazP
I feel you big time, I'm in a very similar situation but I'm a TA thinking about whether to go into teaching... After having so many experiences that are basically the same as yours, I've decided to search elsewhere for jobs, teaching is a 100% no from me. At the end of the year you can hold yourself up high, you'll have a PGCE and probably a much stronger attitude to difficult situations, because at the end of the day it's experiences like this that mould us into our great futures and I have no doubt you'll have one too.

That’s the only thing keeping me going. Being able to say I did it and knowing I’ve learnt how to deal with crap from it. I hope you start to enjoy it a little more and have a great week!
A PGCE is indeed a challenging year. It really does stretch you and test you.
The busyness of the course is tough as it is, but even more difficult when your mentor isn't helping you in the way you want to be helped.
Teaching isn't an easy career and it is one of those make it or break it situations.
It's probably a good thing that you recognise this now rather than later down the line.
Original post by scatterbrainpgce
I’ve even worked a full time job at the same time as my degree. That was hard work but I never hated my day to day life this much. Every time I wake up in the morning, I can't wait until I get home so that I can tick the day off. I feel like I am counting my life away. I refuse to give the course up because I've already done a term. However I am utterly exhausted, and I feel like I have turned into a really depressed, negative insecure person.

The problem with my second placement is my mentor. He’s constantly nit picking small things like joining when handwriting, not marking books at lunch time because there’s ‘other’ things that need to be done. I’ve walked into the classroom with him and his ta (who never actually does anything to help when I teach but i’m constantly told I need to direct other adults in the room to meet the standards) talking and suddenly they go silent. The conversation gets turned to something random like ‘what you having for lunch’. I’ve cried in the bathroom too many times. My work life balance is total ****. Having to be in an hour before and being given the side eye if you leave before 5. Being assessed against crap teachers standards that experienced teachers struggle to do. I’m honestly tired of it. It’s endless and miserable. No wonder people don’t go into teaching after their PGCE. It really isnt worth it

Side note: My uni wouldn’t do anything about it because they always support the schools and say ‘PGCE year is difficult’. They’re horrendous with listening and solving problems.

Oh wow my heart breaks for you! what an awful experience for someone who wants a career in teaching young children not only about education but about being kind to others! Keep pushing through these people are short term people in your life that you’ll never have any dealings with after you finish your degree :smile: May I ask where your doing your PGCE? I hope to apply for colerain and Liverpool in 2023 but just hearing this scares me :frown: your placement should be a fun and where you learn the most not where your made feel like this!
how are you finding the work load of a PGCE?
Pls support my petition against universities like BCU. Thanks

https://www.change.org/p/end-neglect...event-suicides

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending