The Student Room Group

super bad period pains & emotions

for about a week or two building up to my period, my mental health gets so bad. it always starts with the constant thoughts of wanting to kill myself (even though i know i don’t and i wouldn’t). i feel hopeless, like nothing is worth anything and lose interest in a lot. i used to struggle with self h*rm and mental illness and when i’m around my period, that’s the only time those thoughts ever come back.

i have PAINFUL cramps. i have to stay in bed. they’re in my legs, my back, lower abdomen. i use heat packs, i lay in a good position with a pillow at my stomach, i take ibuprofens and paracetamols before the pain starts and top them up through the day, I drink tea as well and THE PAIN STILL STAYS.

I can’t stand it. idk what to do. I’m waiting for a doctors appointment but in the meantime, any advice ??
Original post by Anonymous
for about a week or two building up to my period, my mental health gets so bad. it always starts with the constant thoughts of wanting to kill myself (even though i know i don’t and i wouldn’t). i feel hopeless, like nothing is worth anything and lose interest in a lot. i used to struggle with self h*rm and mental illness and when i’m around my period, that’s the only time those thoughts ever come back.

i have PAINFUL cramps. i have to stay in bed. they’re in my legs, my back, lower abdomen. i use heat packs, i lay in a good position with a pillow at my stomach, i take ibuprofens and paracetamols before the pain starts and top them up through the day, I drink tea as well and THE PAIN STILL STAYS.

I can’t stand it. idk what to do. I’m waiting for a doctors appointment but in the meantime, any advice ??

i used to feel the exact same so i know what you’re going through. my doctor put me on microgynon 30 after mefenamic acid wasn’t working too well. it’s drastically improved the period pain as my periods are less heavy now and the suicidal thoughts have completely gone.

this might not be the case for you but it might be worth trying it
ouch gal yea i get u a lot apart from the drinking tea as i hate tea 😂 but anyways u should see a GP even though they seem to take forever and cancel appointments constantly which is frustrating but you should go see a gynaecologist or something bc they shld help. do not leave until u get it sorted or diagnosed as there must be a reason like endo or fibroids. they always seem to push ur problems away and don't try seeing what the problem is. it's ridiculous. how old are you? are ur cycles regular? does this always happen? as it could just be an ovarian cyst if it's a sudden pain?
i used to feel the exact same so i know what you’re going through. my doctor put me on microgynon 30 after mefenamic acid wasn’t working too well. it’s drastically improved the period pain as my periods are less heavy now and the suicidal thoughts have completely gone.

they usually recommend the pill even tho it's not good for the individual. like me, they said "oh just go on the pill" and the pill isn't always the answer as it can make other conditions worse.
Reply 4
hello !! I have the exact same thing - if it is taking a toll on your everyday life please go to the gp if you are able to, to help consider medication and counselling. I found it’s highly likely it’s PMDD. You can look it up and see if it resembles what you’re struggling with at the moment. I got help a few months ago and beginning prozac again on a low dose has sort of given me life in a way🥰 sending love and luck to you xxxx

A hot waterbottle really helps with cramps, I believe you can also get a heating pad for when you're out and about. That mixed with drinking plenty of water is helpful too. I've also heard that exercising is a good way to help (I've never personally tried it since I'm mega lazy but I've heard from others that it can help) I'm sorry this isn't very helpful and I really hope your doctor will be able to help.
I get very bad periods as well
Bad pain, feeling sick, but I take 2 nurofen every four hours and they seem to help
Reply 7

thanks!! honestly it’s hard because I really worked so hard to become mentally stable and healthy, but when my period is coming I feel scared because I feel like I’m falling back down again.
Reply 8
Original post by gracieee16
ouch gal yea i get u a lot apart from the drinking tea as i hate tea 😂 but anyways u should see a GP even though they seem to take forever and cancel appointments constantly which is frustrating but you should go see a gynaecologist or something bc they shld help. do not leave until u get it sorted or diagnosed as there must be a reason like endo or fibroids. they always seem to push ur problems away and don't try seeing what the problem is. it's ridiculous. how old are you? are ur cycles regular? does this always happen? as it could just be an ovarian cyst if it's a sudden pain?

Original post by gracieee16

I know right! with doctors you have to be so persistent for them to get **** done 😭

I’m turning 21 this week & my cycles are regular these days. it does always happen, i noticed a few years back the pain got worse but it’s kind of been the same since then.

(I started my period when I was 9 and so I’ve seen my cycle and symptoms change overtime as I was growing up, so I’m used to there being a change every few years haha)
Reply 9
Original post by 666SA
hello !! I have the exact same thing - if it is taking a toll on your everyday life please go to the gp if you are able to, to help consider medication and counselling. I found it’s highly likely it’s PMDD. You can look it up and see if it resembles what you’re struggling with at the moment. I got help a few months ago and beginning prozac again on a low dose has sort of given me life in a way🥰 sending love and luck to you xxxx

thank you!! xx after looking at the symptoms of PMDD, it really feels like this could possibly be the problem.
Original post by PrettyAngel500
I get very bad periods as well
Bad pain, feeling sick, but I take 2 nurofen every four hours and they seem to help

I take 2 nurofen and 1 or 2 paracetamol every four hours and these days the pain resists it and sometimes it takes 2 of the doses until the pain starts to shift.

I’m wondering if maybe my body has got too used to the ibuprofen and it’s not working anymore ?? is that even possible lol
Original post by WillowWollow
A hot waterbottle really helps with cramps, I believe you can also get a heating pad for when you're out and about. That mixed with drinking plenty of water is helpful too. I've also heard that exercising is a good way to help (I've never personally tried it since I'm mega lazy but I've heard from others that it can help) I'm sorry this isn't very helpful and I really hope your doctor will be able to help.

thanks for the tips !! <3 also yea I don’t drink as much water as i should, so I’m really trying to drink more water
I take 2 nurofen and 1 or 2 paracetamol every four hours and these days the pain resists it and sometimes it takes 2 of the doses until the pain starts to shift.

I’m wondering if maybe my body has got too used to the ibuprofen and it’s not working anymore ?? is that even possible lol

Yes your body might well have got used to the ibuprofen, bodies do get immune to continuous items

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending