The Student Room Group

Physics for A Level

I have a huge interest in chem engineering and rlly want to study it at uni, but I’ve chosen Chem,bio and Spanish as my Alevel options. Is it worth it to switch to physics (or further maths not rlly sure yet) based on this or is the course too hard?
Reply 1
Original post by na258916
I have a huge interest in chem engineering and rlly want to study it at uni, but I’ve chosen Chem,bio and Spanish as my Alevel options. Is it worth it to switch to physics (or further maths not rlly sure yet) based on this or is the course too hard?

From what I've heard, although Physics explicitly you do not need for chem engineering (except possibly Imperial) it is quite useful and the skills acquired from doing physics are in chemical engineering.

Obviously, check the individual entry requirements for each university.
(edited 2 years ago)
hi i had a similiar problem, i am doing chem,bio and french and what to do engineering next year (im in y13) i have allredy applied to uni and i have applied for foundation years for engineering at newcastle, birmingham, sheffield and nottingham and then straight Civil Engineering at UCL. I would say if u switch itll be better to switch to maths then physics cuz its required for most courses over ohysics. Otherwise, maybe look in to the foundation years like me, these will give u a broad overview of all the engineering sectors and allow u to go to uni at the same time as everyone else. Obviously this adds an extra year to your degree but i think it would be very difficult to switch to maths at this point (even in y12) however if youre willing to put in the time and work im sure you can do it :smile: Foundation years often have lower entry grades than the straight course too.
hope this helps a bit
Reply 3
Original post by alex87901
hi i had a similiar problem, i am doing chem,bio and french and what to do engineering next year (im in y13) i have allredy applied to uni and i have applied for foundation years for engineering at newcastle, birmingham, sheffield and nottingham and then straight Civil Engineering at UCL. I would say if u switch itll be better to switch to maths then physics cuz its required for most courses over ohysics. Otherwise, maybe look in to the foundation years like me, these will give u a broad overview of all the engineering sectors and allow u to go to uni at the same time as everyone else. Obviously this adds an extra year to your degree but i think it would be very difficult to switch to maths at this point (even in y12) however if youre willing to put in the time and work im sure you can do it :smile: Foundation years often have lower entry grades than the straight course too.
hope this helps a bit

Agreed. I think many want an A level in maths for standard entry anyway
Reply 4
Original post by alex87901
hope this helps a bit

Yes ultimately I’m thinking of switching bio and rs to physics and maths, just so o have accessibility to most courses in the future. Thanks for the advice!
Reply 5
Original post by kk15405
From what I've heard, although Physics explicitly you do not need for chem engineering (except possibly Imperial) it is quite useful and the skills acquired from doing physics are in chemical engineering.

Obviously, check the individual entry requirements for each university.

Yes, I’m thinking of switching to Chem maths and physics, just to guarantee I meet requirements for all courses!
Original post by na258916
Yes, I’m thinking of switching to Chem maths and physics, just to guarantee I meet requirements for all courses!

Hey there!

So to clarify first of all, physics is not actually a requirement for any uni, but is 'preferred' for Oxbridge (and is only required for cambridge chemeng via eng and oxford eng sci), and I am aware of candidates who have been successful in their applications with a degree combination of maths, chemistry and economics, so do not feel pressured to take physics as an A level. You need only Maths and Chemistry A level to have access to most unis, so if you are considering doing a third, I would most recommend doing further maths as it is indispensable in doing the degree and removes so many more sticking points than doing physics/biology. That is not to say you can't do well without it- it just simplifies the task.

With regards to course being hard, it would be a lie to say that ChemEng does not have its challenges, but that is part of the degree and the problem solving element of it. Most degrees are hard due to something or the other, and ChemE is no different.

In short, definitely take Chemistry and Maths as you will strengthen you application the most by doing this, and the decide on taking FM/Physics/Spanish/Bio depending on what you enjoy doing and whether you want to apply to Oxbridge or not.

Any more questions, do not hesitate to ask!

Best,

ChemEngWeekly

Quick Reply

Latest