The Student Room Group

A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry

2021 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6408564
2022 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6975180

Hello there! Here's the 2023 Medicine Entry Thread for international students. :woo: Please feel free to ask tons of questions + hope to build an international applicant community here!

When time comes, please feel free to post statistics for help on which medical schools to apply + offer dates, interviews, etc. I've posted a template below for statistics, interviews + offers, shamelessly ripped from one of @ecolier 's threads.

Applied: (date)
UCAT: (your UCAT results)
BMAT: (your BMAT results)
GCSEs/Equivalent: (your GCSEs)
A-Levels/ Degree / Equivalent : (your A-Levels)

University 1 / UCAS code
Date: (date) | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: (date) | Reply: Interview invite / etc.
Date: (date) | Reply: Offer / Rejection

University 2 / UCAS code

University 3 / UCAS code

University 4 / UCAS code

University 5 (Your backup) / UCAS code

Good luck to all applicants! xx
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reply 2
Can international students apply to the A100 course as undergraduate applicants even if they have started University in their home country i.e. have not completed their graduate degree but are either in the first or second year of their course??
Reply 3
Oh ok, thanks.
So do all Unis dont accept applicants who have started a degree (I mean 1st yr Biomed)?
So does that mean if one have started a degree they can't reapply again the following year unless they take a gap year??
Thanks again.
Reply 4
Thanks and I agree but biomedical sciences may/would be a useful degree for post-graduate applicant , I guess.
Reply 5
Thanks ecolier but how does taking a gap year increase one's chances of getting in the next year??
Especially if they received interview offers from 3 out of the 4 applications?
Hey everyone :smile:

I am an international student planning on applying to few medical schools in UK this year. I would graduate around 2027/2028 depending on wheter I do the 5 or 6 year programme. What are the chances of an international student being able to do foundation years in UK after graduating medical school ? What are the factors that will increase my chances of getting a placement ? Any useful advice or insights ? What would the predicted situation be like in 5 years time ?
I would really appreciate your advice regarding this matter. Thank you sincerely 😊
Reply 7
"Doing well in med school (since you get ranked against other students in your year)." - Is this ranking per university or against all med students in uk? If against all, how is it done?
Reply 8
Oh
I see.
So does everyone gets into the FY or some students miss out??
Thank youu 😄 !!

What does SJT mean ?
How long approximately does one international medical student have to wait to be placed to do foundation year after graduating from medical school?
I’m current studying A Level at UK and want to get into medicine in the UK. I heard it’s really competitive, especially for international students. Any advices?
Hello everyone, I’m really interested in studying medicine in The United Kingdom but I have no idea what tests I should be taking or when (and how) to apply.
Original post by drkapilg
Oh ok, thanks.
So do all Unis dont accept applicants who have started a degree (I mean 1st yr Biomed)?
So does that mean if one have started a degree they can't reapply again the following year unless they take a gap year??
Thanks again.

you can finish your degree and apply for the post graduate entry. have you considered studying in Europe?
you can stop your degree and apply to Europe for undergrad or also finish your degree and apply for post grad
Hi,I was wondering what the deal was with medicine interviews in the UK for international students. Do we have to fly over to the UK and have an in-person interview at the university or can we conduct it through zoom or other video conference software?
Hi, I'm a year 12 student from Australia applying for undergrad med in the UK and I was wondering how feasible it would be to receive a 2023 entry offer to study medicine in the UK before my Uni course begins from late February/early March next year here in Australia?
Cheers, hopefully looking forward to my zoom interviews.
If so, what uni are you going to?
i've noticed some medical school websites do mention how many international students they can take and many do not. most of them have capped the numbers to around 10-20. are there any universities that take a higher influx of international students? (need to take this into consideration when choosing the 4 unis)
Original post by Ashima Ahlawat
i've noticed some medical school websites do mention how many international students they can take and many do not. most of them have capped the numbers to around 10-20. are there any universities that take a higher influx of international students? (need to take this into consideration when choosing the 4 unis)

https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/funding-for-providers/health-education-funding/medical-and-dental-target-intakes/
the number of places in each medical school shouldn’t be an important consideration in shortlisting universities to apply to. How the medical schools use admission tests, your qualifications and type of interview will help you make a strategic application.
You can apply directly to Brunel which is only for international students. Buckingham and UCLAN are also universities that you can apply directly to. Quotas for international students exist at all other medical schools.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Ashima Ahlawat

It is capped at 7.5% of the intake, except for the private med schools, so hte larger the overall cohort, the more internationals they are likely to take

Latest