would i be able to get into uni with two a levels, an as level and an epq?

Watch this thread
gucw
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
year 12 here! i've really been struggling to with one of my subjects at the moment. i don't want it to get to the point where it's affecting my mental health, and was wondering if there was any chance that, if i dropped it, i would be able to just do 2 a levels for the rest of this year and pick up an as next year? i currently do psychology and sociology, and am looking to drop photography if possible. i'd like pick up criminology as an as level. i don't want any of this to affect my chances too heavily of getting into uni (currently looking at a psychology degree). any advice is appreciated!!
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by gucw)
year 12 here! i've really been struggling to with one of my subjects at the moment. i don't want it to get to the point where it's affecting my mental health, and was wondering if there was any chance that, if i dropped it, i would be able to just do 2 a levels for the rest of this year and pick up an as next year? i currently do psychology and sociology, and am looking to drop photography if possible. i'd like pick up criminology as an as level. i don't want any of this to affect my chances too heavily of getting into uni (currently looking at a psychology degree). any advice is appreciated!!
A degree needs three A levels - you could look at a Foundation year with two A levels ...
EOData
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
There are plenty of degrees that only specify 'a minimum of 2 A levels' at less prestigious universities but you'd need to get reasonably good grades to meet the UCAS points required. I suggest that you have a look at possible courses https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-leve...sociology?o=01 to get a feel for what your options are
not_applicable
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by gucw)
A lot of unis ask for three, but it really depends on what course you want to do and the specific uni. I would suggest doing 3 and an EPQ if you want to as well (as someone whose taken one, it's really enjoyable). I also struggle with mental health, and I will say that three a levels was fine (I took maths, chem and biology) and the workload wasn't too crazy. Then again, I have a friend who took three, and once they got their offers they got the school to email the universities saying that they needed to drop one due to mental health. The uni's were fine with it and they now only take two. This is pretty rare due to the persons particular circumstances, but hey you never know you might be able to do something similar.
Last edited by not_applicable; 5 months ago
Nevica
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
I've seen some universities that accept people with 2 A Levels, nowhere fancy, mostly local universities (not that there's anything wrong with them) . There's lots of places that will accept you and make you do a Year 0/ Foundation year but there's no shame in that. You still get a degree at the end of it - just costs you an extra year of tuition
Nevica
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Nevica)
I've seen some universities that accept people with 2 A Levels, nowhere fancy, mostly local universities (not that there's anything wrong with them) . There's lots of places that will accept you and make you do a Year 0/ Foundation year but there's no shame in that. You still get a degree at the end of it - just costs you an extra year of tuition
For example, my local (Teesside) has '88-112 tariff points from at least two A levels (or equivalent). You must also have GCSEs in English and maths at grade 4 (grade C) or equivalent' as an entry requirement for their BSc Psychology Degree. Lots of places like that just look at UCAS points.
EPQ and AS levels also contribute towards UCAS point totals so I'm sure you could meet the req.

Plenty of other places will have similar requirements (Just not the big name fancy ones)

Also, if you get a good overall grade in Psychology and apply for a psychology course and they see that you dropped Photography of all things I don't think they will be overly offended. It's not like you're dropping Psychology lol
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by gucw)
gucw
Hello! Have you considering doing your BSc Psychology at Arden University. I studied my MSc in Psychology there after getting a 1st degree in Sociology at MMU. it might be of interest to you, there is an option of blended learning on site and also 100% online. Here are the entry requirements below;

To be eligible for our BSc (Hons) Psychology course, you must have:

Passes at grade C or above in three subjects including mathematics at GCSE level or 1 year of relevant work experience within the last 3 years.
If you do not have GCSE or equivalent in mathematics you will be able to complete an assessment-free module before the start of your course to substitute for this.
Applicants may be considered based on a minimum of 12 months of relevant work experience. We’ll ask you for a personal statement that demonstrates your ability to study the course, along with references and evidence of your previous work experience.

I've taught in HE for nearly 10 years and I am very happy with the experience I had

https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/unde...psychology-bps

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by gucw)
Hey,
My understanding is that you will still be able to get into university and there are many courses that look at UCAS points as well as the number of subjects you take. One of the students within my A Level psychology class took A Level psychology, A Level art and AS sociology and is now studying psychology at degree level. I would advise putting your mental health and wellbeing first! Hope this helps and that you get on ok.

Eleanor
Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (14)
31.11%
Take a gap year (10)
22.22%
Resit my exams (8)
17.78%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (6)
13.33%
I don't know yet (4)
8.89%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
6.67%

Watched Threads