The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University 2022 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm studying v101, which is ran by both the History and Classics department. I registered for my modules last week, and then got an email from the History department yesterday to fill in a form to register my History modules. I've done that, but I still have Classics modules to register for. Does anyone know how I go about this?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Do John Snow students definitely require a gown for matriculation and a formal dinner specific dinner jacket type/style suit with a dickie bow or can an ordinary black/charcoal grey suit be worn dressed up with a dickie bow for the more formal events and worn with a John Snow tie and tie pin for the less formal events? Just I have read so many things in different places and DS and his friends and parents have all interpreted things very differently.

Thanks
Reply 582
Original post by Anonymous
Do John Snow students definitely require a gown for matriculation and a formal dinner specific dinner jacket type/style suit with a dickie bow or can an ordinary black/charcoal grey suit be worn dressed up with a dickie bow for the more formal events and worn with a John Snow tie and tie pin for the less formal events? Just I have read so many things in different places and DS and his friends and parents have all interpreted things very differently.

Thanks

Gown yes (my mates in JS always wore them for formals adn you should need it for matriculation) I was castle not JS but I'd assume it's probably the same- yeah you don't need a specific dinner suit/tux. A dark ordinary suit should work, just wear it with a bowtie in most cases (or JS tie in others)
bear in mind that like 90% of all events in Durham are black tie dress code- but again any dark suit (or even not) would do him fine
Thank you. We just bought him a pale coloured suit for his prom a couple of months ago (which we thought he could wear for matriculation and we would like him to get the use out of this) and then we have now realised about this and we didn’t want to have to go to more expense of buying him a dinner suit/tux as well as a dark jacket/blazer and trousers, on top of all the start up costs of getting him equipped for self catering at Uni, buying him some more much needed new clothes (so he isn’t having to pay for a wash twice a week) and paying to top up his ML. As well as the cost and hassle of going shopping with him (in the short time we have left before he goes) I’m concerned how three suits and a gown would fit in his tiny wardrobe. Also how do most students dress at Durham Uni on a daily basis please as different 6th forms have different dress codes (my sons was basically a shirt or polo with black or very dark non faded jeans or trousers)?

Thanks again
Thank you. We just bought him a pale coloured suit for his prom a couple of months ago (which we thought he could wear for matriculation and we would like him to get the use out of this) and then we have now realised about this and we didn’t want to have to go to more expense of buying him a dinner suit/tux as well as a dark jacket/blazer and trousers, on top of all the start up costs of getting him equipped for self catering at Uni, buying him some more much needed new clothes (so he isn’t having to pay for a wash twice a week) and paying to top up his ML. As well as the cost and hassle of going shopping with him (in the short time we have left before he goes) I’m concerned how three suits and a gown would fit in his tiny wardrobe. Also how do most students dress at Durham Uni on a daily basis please as different 6th forms have different dress codes (my sons was basically a shirt or polo with black or very dark non faded jeans or trousers)?

Thanks again

My son will be going to John snow, he has a dark grey suit, he will buy a bow tie and then play it by ear to see how he gets on, won’t be getting a tux unless he really needs it.
He has some smart trousers and shirts also. For casual wear he will have jeans or shorts, also tracky botttoms for lounging around in
Many jumpers shirts and t-shirts.
Hi all, my dear daughter hasn’t had college or accommodation allocation confirmed yet despite her course confirmation coming on A level results day. It might be she’s missed something but she assures me she’s filled everything in that’s been sent to her. Earlier in her the summer she was told her provisional allocation but the Uni sent her an email a few days after the results to say that it wouldn’t be confirmed until 12 September. That was two days ago and no news…
Original post by FatherBaker
Hi all, my dear daughter hasn’t had college or accommodation allocation confirmed yet despite her course confirmation coming on A level results day. It might be she’s missed something but she assures me she’s filled everything in that’s been sent to her. Earlier in her the summer she was told her provisional allocation but the Uni sent her an email a few days after the results to say that it wouldn’t be confirmed until 12 September. That was two days ago and no news…

Apparently they sent out an email saying that they were late and they weren't on track to get everything out by the 12th. Did she received this email. Also it looks like that this afternoon many people are getting their college allocation!
Let me know if I can be more hel

Apparently they sent out an email saying that they were late and they weren't on track to get everything out by the 12th. Did she received this email. Also it looks like that this afternoon many people are getting their college allocation!
Let me know if I can be more helpful
Original post by XanaXoid
Let me know if I can be more helpful

Thanks for the speedy response- we’ll see if it comes through and get back to you if we don’t hear anything if that’s OK?
Thanks for the speedy response- we’ll see if it comes through and get back to you if we don’t hear anything if that’s OK?

Yes, no problem at all
Yes, no problem at all

Her allocation came yesterday evening, she was hoping for St John’s but got St Aidan’s, which looks OK. She is still waiting to find out what room type she has been allocated but this is progress at last!
Her allocation came yesterday evening, she was hoping for St John’s but got St Aidan’s, which looks OK. She is still waiting to find out what room type she has been allocated but this is progress at last!

My daughter was provionally given St johns but yesterday was allocated St aidans. She had all but given up and was ready to withdraw!
Looks like the polar opposite of St John's but at least it's catered
Original post by glinton2007
My daughter was provionally given St johns but yesterday was allocated St aidans. She had all but given up and was ready to withdraw!
Looks like the polar opposite of St John's but at least it's catered

Yes, that’s exactly the same for us!

Here's hoping things start moving bit faster now
Shes delighted not to worry about gowned formals now but instead needs fancy dress! Out of the frying pan into the fire
Hope her room.mate is freindly

Here's hoping things start moving bit faster now
Shes delighted not to worry about gowned formals now but instead needs fancy dress! Out of the frying pan into the fire
Hope her room.mate is freindly
It’s fantastic that more people have finally found out about there College allocation even though Durham are once again very late in the day with this.

We paid our £200 for John Snow College accommodation on the day we received the email requesting us to do this but since then Durham have been silent and reluctant to confirm a moving in day or moving in slot we are just being asked to wait and check emails daily?!? Given that we assume they are likely to move in on either Saturday 24th September or Sunday the 25th of September surely they should have communicated this information to us before now given it’s now the 15th of September!!! Has anyone else in John Snow received this information yet?
My daughter is still waiting for her College to be confirmed.
Original post by tiredmummy
My daughter is still waiting for her College to be confirmed.

For what I have seen on TSR it seems that everyone else got their college so if this is true I suggest to call Durham or use the live chat. It might be a mistake on their part.
I also suggest to ask her to check which email she wrote down on ucas because I have seen many people not getting email form the uni because they put down their school email which now has been deactivated
It’s fantastic that more people have finally found out about there College allocation even though Durham are once again very late in the day with this.

We paid our £200 for John Snow College accommodation on the day we received the email requesting us to do this but since then Durham have been silent and reluctant to confirm a moving in day or moving in slot we are just being asked to wait and check emails daily?!? Given that we assume they are likely to move in on either Saturday 24th September or Sunday the 25th of September surely they should have communicated this information to us before now given it’s now the 15th of September!!! Has anyone else in John Snow received this information yet?

We have received our info on the last hour so looks like they are sending them out today
For what I have seen on TSR it seems that everyone else got their college so if this is true I suggest to call Durham or use the live chat. It might be a mistake on their part.
I also suggest to ask her to check which email she wrote down on ucas because I have seen many people not getting email form the uni because they put down their school email which now has been deactivated

Its the correct email. She has had several generic emails changing the date that she would get info plus the emails telling her to register, but she cant until the College allocation is confirmed.
I have emailed the Vice Chancellor, The Colleges and the Student Union.
I have received a reply from Colleges saying there are still students not yet allocated and they are working through it and be patient! It's so disappointing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending