The Student Room Group

why are people overreacting to kurt zouma incident?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by DSilva
So he should be held to account for kicking and slapping an animal, but others shouldn't be held to account for paying for animals to be killed for food?

If you eat meat this wekeend, that animal will certainly have been treated far worse than Zouma treated his cat.

I am not disagreeing with you. I am just explaining why I think people are reacting like this.

There are different attitudes in this country to harm to pets, like the harm done by this footballer, and harm to, say, cows, sheep, pigs, through slaughter.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by DSilva
So he should be held to account for kicking and slapping an animal, but others shouldn't be held to account for paying for animals to be killed for food?

If you eat meat this wekeend, that animal will certainly have been treated far worse than Zouma treated his cat.

How on earth do you not see the quantiative difference between abusing an animal for some perverse thrill and humanely killing it for food ? :s-smilie:
Reply 22
I am disgusted with Zouma as it was cruel. I am a pet lover. I respond instinctively and emotionally to this and I just think it is cruel.

I don't think that all animals that are slaughtered for food are necessarily always killed or treated humanely, though.

However, whilst I can see the point of view expressed here that, for some, it seems outrageous that meat-eaters are upset about Zouma's abuse of his cat when they eat animals that exist to provide food for humans on the basis those animals could be seen as being treated badly at times, I think people who eat meat should be allowed to feel outrage at the pain the cat was in. People make different choices about their priorities and beliefs.

I am glad that there has been such a reaction to Zouma's cruelty.

It is also good to see passion from people who think about the way animals are treated that we eat.

I am not a vegan btw.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Napp
How on earth do you not see the quantiative difference between abusing an animal for some perverse thrill and humanely killing it for food ? :s-smilie:

Would you really say that the intent to needlessly kill an animal for food is any better than abusing an animal for fun?
Reply 24
Original post by Joel 96
Would you really say that the intent to needlessly kill an animal for food is any better than abusing an animal for fun?

Do you accept that they are different things with different motivations?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Cote1
I am disgusted with Zouma as it was cruel. I am a pet lover. I respond instinctively and emotionally to this and I just think it is cruel.

I don't think that all animals that are slaughtered for food are necessarily always killed or treated humanely, though.

However, whilst I can see the point of view expressed here that, for some, it seems outrageous that meat-eaters are upset about Zouma's abuse of his cat when they eat animals that exist to provide food for humans on the basis those animals could be seen as being treated badly at times, I think people who eat meat should be allowed to feel outrage at the pain the cat was in. People make different choices about their priorities and beliefs.

It is also good to see passion from people who think about the rights of the animals we eat.

I am not a vegan btw.

Just to clarify, I don't think that you can't react with sadness and anger to animal abuse if you're not a vegan. Meat-eating is a part of UK culture, and people are brought up eating meat without ever really ruminating about it. I'm glad that you're a pet lover and you see the cruelty in kicking a cat.

Like Paul McCartney once said, if slaughterhouses had glass walls, then everyone would be vegetarian. In essence, it's easier to react with emotion to something you can see (a cat getting abused on film), rather than something that happens behind closed doors and is just something you buy in a supermarket.
Original post by Cote1
Do you accept that they are different things with different motivations?

Yes, absolutely. However, I don't think they're quantitatively different. The intent is still immoral in both instances.
Original post by Joel 96
Just to clarify, I don't think that you can't react with sadness and anger to animal abuse if you're not a vegan. Meat-eating is a part of UK culture, and people are brought up eating meat without ever really ruminating about it. I'm glad that you're a pet lover and you see the cruelty in kicking a cat.

Like Paul McCartney once said, if slaughterhouses had glass walls, then everyone would be vegetarian. In essence, it's easier to react with emotion to something you can see (a cat getting abused on film), rather than something that happens behind closed doors and is just something you buy in a supermarket.

The NYTimes had a piece yesterday showing the cruel way that chickens are grown in the US. It was almost tear-inducing. But, tbh, I can't afford free-range chicken I don't think that means I can't care about someone kicking a cat. They are very different scenarios.
Reply 28
I am not vegetarian. I find this all difficult. The way I approach it is I don't often eat meat, as I worry about the way animals that are killed for meat may be treated in case it is not humane (I don't think animals like this are always treated humanely) other than eating free range chicken (in the hope such chickens have been better treated than battery farmed ones).

I am still glad there is such outrage to the cruel treatment of the cat.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Sabertooth
The NYTimes had a piece yesterday showing the cruel way that chickens are grown in the US. It was almost tear-inducing. But, tbh, I can't afford free-range chicken I don't think that means I can't care about someone kicking a cat. They are very different scenarios.

It is expensive. I get them free range from Aldi for 5 pounds when I eat chicken. Don't know the dollar equivalent Sabertooth:smile:. It is a lot cheaper for free range chicken there.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Sabertooth

You found the sight of poulty farming to be cruel. That's good. The obvious next step is to stop funding the propagation of that which you find cruel.

Original post by Cote1
I am not vegetarian. I find this all difficult. The way I approach it is I don't usually eat meat, as I worry about the way animals that are killed for meat may be treated in case it is not humane (I don't think animals like this are always treated humanely) other than eating free range chicken (in the hope such chickens have been better treated than battery farmed ones).

I am still glad there is such outrage to the cruel treatment of the cat.

I think you're very close to going all the way. However, you seem to think that there is a "humane" way of killing something. What does the word humane really mean to you? And how do you picture humane slaughter in your mind?
Reply 31
Original post by Napp

Pigs and Chickens are killed using gas, cows are stunned to death. I'm not sure how that constitutes 'humanely killing'. It's killing an animal that wants to live so you can have a meal that lasts 10 minutes, when there are alternatives available that don't involve killing animals.

If Zouma had stunned his cat and then ate it, would that have been less cruel?

What Zouma did was obviously bad. It was incredibly cruel. What I don't get is how people can be outraged at what he did, while actively supporting the far crueler treatment of other animals.
Original post by DSilva

Precisely.
Original post by Cote1
It is expensive. I get them free range from Aldi for 5 pounds when I eat chicken. It is a lot cheaper for free range chicken there.

That's true. It's like $6/lb in Aldi whereas kroger is about $9/lb.
Reply 34
Original post by Joel 96
You found the sight of poulty farming to be cruel. That's good. The obvious next step is to stop funding the propagation of that which you find cruel.

I think you're very close to going all the way. However, you seem to think that there is a "humane" way of killing something. What does the word humane really mean to you? And how do you picture humane slaughter in your mind?

Good point. I don't know the answers. I suppose in my mind I hope, or want to believe, that animals are killed in a way that won't cause them pain or distress. That probably doesn't happen.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Joel 96

I make minimum wage and meat is a good, cheap, source of calories. :dontknow: $9 for protein in one meal with cruelty-free chicken is too expensive.
Reply 36
Original post by Cote1

It is also good to see passion from people who think about the way animals are treated that we eat.

I am not a vegan btw.

The problem is the massive hypocrisy and the selective outrage.

It's also the cognitive dissonance. How can you be outraged at someone slapping a cat on the basis of cruelty but pay for pigs, cows and chickens to be treated horrifically and killed against their will needlessly?

The point is people don't think about the reality of the meat industry. As another poster said, every attempt it made by the industry to disassociate the product you are eating from the fact it was once a living animal, capable of feeling pain, fear and happiness.
Original post by Cote1
Good point. I don't know the answers.

That's okay, thanks for being honest. There's a term called "cognitive dissonance", which basically means that we experience mental discomfort from two conflicting attitudes that we hold. I think what's happening is that you obviously recognise the sad way we kill animals needlessly for food, and yet you eat meat (albeit, you said that you don't eat it often).

I don't want to say anymore at the risk of sounding preachy, but I think you know deep down inside, and you're connecting both things.
Reply 38
Original post by Joel 96

Erm yeah, because its not 'needless'. One is part of nature where creatures eat each other to live.. ones a perverse sadistic piece of ****. They are not related, in any way, shape or form.
Anyone who gets kicks out of harming another being for no purpose, humanely killing for food is decidedly not this, needs a good kicking themselves.. at least.
Reply 39
Original post by DSilva
Pigs and Chickens are killed using gas, cows are stunned to death. I'm not sure how that constitutes 'humanely killing'. It's killing an animal that wants to live so you can have a meal that lasts 10 minutes, when there are alternatives available that don't involve killing animals.

What Zouma did was obviously bad. It was incredibly cruel. What I don't get is how people can be outraged at what he did, while actively supporting the far crueler treatment of other animals.

People do this partly because of the reasons I have given earlier.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending