OPTOMETRY at Bradford or Manchester

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi, I have received an offer from both Manchester and Bradford to study Optometry. I'm a bit stuck in which uni to choose. If anyone is doing the course at Manchester or Bradford, please can you tell me about it is like studying there, For uni i'm most likely to commute and so, is it hard to commute to either of the places.
University of Bradford
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I have received an offer from both Manchester and Bradford to study Optometry. I'm a bit stuck in which uni to choose. If anyone is doing the course at Manchester or Bradford, please can you tell me about it is like studying there, For uni i'm most likely to commute and so, is it hard to commute to either of the places.
Hey

Congrats on the offers, that's amazing!

If you choose to study Optometry at Bradford you will see patients in our on-campus Eye Clinic, and gain experience at local hospitals
Our programme is also accredited by the General Optical Council, so you can progress towards practising as a registered optometrist, and we're in the UK Top 10 for Optometry, Ophthalmology, and Orthoptics in the Complete University Guide 2022.

I think it's really important to chat to current students on the course, so if you would like to chat to our current students directly and ask them any burning questions, you can do so here.

You can also take a look at our facilities, including the on-campus Eye Clinic, here.

Would you be commuting via the train? Bradford Interchange and Forster Square stations are located right in the city centre and only a short walk away from the university.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the course or general student life at Bradford

Best of luck whichever university you decide to choose!

Becky
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Well, they'll both qualify you to be an optometrist and I imagine the courses are pretty similar as a result. You can see if there are differences in how they teach/assess the content (the actual content itself I imagine will be largely if not entirely the same). You might also want to see if there are placements in the course, where they will be relative to the uni and what if any support you'll have for transport/accommodation for these.

Consider also the cities' and universities' amenities (Are there any particular clubs you are hoping will be there? Any specific sporting provisions you want/need?), and the relative cost of living in each (how do rental prices compare in each? What is the price of an average basket of shopping at each? Are entertainment costs more in one or the other?). If you're commuting you also should consider how long the commute is and the cost of it - even moderate length commutes get pretty draining pretty fast when you're doing them every day!
Last edited by artful_lounger; 4 months ago
RegisteredBMS
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I'm local and have experience of both areas. I've lived in Bradford and Manchester. Commuting depends on your location of origin of course. Where are you commuting from?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by RegisteredBMS)
I'm local and have experience of both areas. I've lived in Bradford and Manchester. Commuting depends on your location of origin of course. Where are you commuting from?
Blackburn
RegisteredBMS
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Blackburn
There's a direct train that takes an hour for both Manchester and Bradford.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by RegisteredBMS)
There's a direct train that takes an hour for both Manchester and Bradford.
Where did you find a direct train to Manchester because I could only find trains where you'd have to transfer from Bolton?
Also, thanks so much for your help. Which area would you say you personally enjoyed living in the most, like with the amenities and the people?
RegisteredBMS
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Where did you find a direct train to Manchester because I could only find trains where you'd have to transfer from Bolton?
Also, thanks so much for your help. Which area would you say you personally enjoyed living in the most, like with the amenities and the people?
I live on the outskirts of Greater Manchester for work, I went to University at Bradford, so I can't comment on living in Manchester. Bradford is different, it's a smaller city but I quite liked it. It is quite rough in areas, but everything is quite compact. They have accommodation literally right on campus.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
There are direct trains to Victoria according to trainline - it's not the closest station to the uni... but it's not that bad of a walk either.

TBH my gut feel is that Manchester is going to be the more reliable rail journey cos Bradford is on the opposite side of the pennines and trans pennine rail always seems to be having disruption... Probably more alternative ways to manchester on the buses too for back up.

course that's not the only consideration
nikki918
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Hey I’ve applied to Manchester for optometry this year but I was wondering when did u get ur offer from Manchester for optometry and what questions did they ask in the interview if you remember?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Joinedup)
There are direct trains to Victoria according to trainline - it's not the closest station to the uni... but it's not that bad of a walk either.

TBH my gut feel is that Manchester is going to be the more reliable rail journey cos Bradford is on the opposite side of the pennines and trans pennine rail always seems to be having disruption... Probably more alternative ways to manchester on the buses too for back up.

course that's not the only consideration
Oh cool, thank you . I will look into that.
nikki918
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Hi, after the interview which is in Nov they told me that I will receive a reply as to if I have got the place or not in mid Jan. I ended up receiving my offer on the 4th of Feb. For the questions in the interview, they asked me like 3 simple maths questions, they asked me about how covid has impacted eye care, why Manchester, how do you deal with stress etc. Good luck for your interview!!! Hope it goes well
Thank for replying !! What grades were you predicted and is this your first year applying to Manchester optometry??
Anonymous #1
(Original post by nikki918)
Thank for replying !! What grades were you predicted and is this your first year applying to Manchester optometry??
Your Welcome . I've been predicted 3 A's and yes this is my first time applying to Manchester optometry.
nikki918
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Your Welcome . I've been predicted 3 A's and yes this is my first time applying to Manchester
Ok thank you ! Sorry for asking so many question but what offer did they give you and I’m assuming you do 3 sciences (maths, chem, bio) ?? And also the maths questions in the interview how hard was it ??
nikki918
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Oh no it's fine. They gave me an offer of AAA in Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. For the maths questions I think one of them was like what is the reciprocal of 0.25 (I actually got this wrong in the interview). When do you have your interview and what subjects do you do?
I actually haven’t got an interview yet but I was just asking in advance haha! But I’m predicted AAB and I do maths, chem and psychology ! Tbh I’m kinda worried I won’t get an interview but I guess i just have to wait also this year it seems like the grade requirement seem higher so idk ? I thought they usually give offer with AAB but now they give offers with AAA
Last edited by nikki918; 4 months ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by nikki918)
I actually haven’t got an interview yet but I was just asking in advance haha! But I’m predicted AAB and I do maths, chem and psychology ! Tbh I’m kinda worried I won’t get an interview but I guess i just have to wait also this year it seems like the grade requirement seem higher so idk ? I thought they usually give offer with AAB but now they give offers with AAA
ooh that's cool. I know, it says on their website that they give offers from AAB-AAA, so you never know. It is going to be a lot more competitive this year cause of the backlog from previous years from covid. However, don't let that come in your way girl. I hope you get an interview, which I think you will, and I know you will smash it. If you do get an interview do let me know, i'm excited for ya.
nikki918
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
ooh that's cool. I know, it says on their website that they give offers from AAB-AAA, so you never know. It is going to be a lot more competitive this year cause of the backlog from previous years from covid. However, don't let that come in your way girl. I hope you get an interview, which I think you will, and I know you will smash it. If you do get an interview do let me know, i'm excited for ya.
Thank youuu so much for answering my questions !! Hopefully I will let you know soon haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Basic life skills (eg. cooking) (15)
30%
Financial skills (eg. taxes, budgeting) (24)
48%
First aid skills (2)
4%
Personal safety skills (1)
2%
Sign language (7)
14%
Expanded sexual health/relationships (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
2%

Watched Threads