The Student Room Group

Broken window in student accomodation HELP!

So I have accidentally broken a window in my student accommodation. I'm obviously not going to lose the security deposit for my flatmates so how should I go about fixing it? Is it better to notify the university? (Which I am scared to do as I could lose my accommodation if they find out it was me) Or find someone to fix it myself? Please any help or support would be great
Original post by nuffly
So I have accidentally broken a window in my student accommodation. I'm obviously not going to lose the security deposit for my flatmates so how should I go about fixing it? Is it better to notify the university? (Which I am scared to do as I could lose my accommodation if they find out it was me) Or find someone to fix it myself? Please any help or support would be great

You need to notify the university - whether that be Porters or a steward or whatever you have. Do not attempt to repair it yourself, or engage the services of a glazier or something yourself: you could inadvertently make the situation worse. The university will have a site team who can deal with the repair - the payment for it is another matter.
Agreed with above, contact the uni, these things happen. If they ask about payment, pay yourself, or give your flatmates the equivalent money they've lost back. Though I'm not sure the uni will ask for payment.
Reply 3
Original post by nuffly

Removing you from the accommodation could happen if you have breached your contract and caused some loss to the University. But you are offering to pay the repair bill, so there's no loss to the University and therefore no grounds to consider that you have breached your contract.

Make sure you send them photos of the issue that needs repairing, just in case their repairman actually makes things worse themselves and the Uni tries to bill you for more damage than you caused.

Quick Reply

Latest