The Student Room Group

Worried about my friend

I'm worried about my friend. I don't know if it's an eating disorder or a side effect of her anxiety and depression. Pre-christmas holidays she told me to not mention anything about what she eats and also about her anxiety and depression. She's been opening up to me more recently - she's been telling me about the diets of the Friends cast (like Jennifer Aniston not having much for breakfast). It's rather triggering because I am trying to recover from anorexia myself. She's really small, not emaciated or anything, and seems so eat a normal-ish lunch (leftovers from dinner) and i presume a normal dinner. But she skips breakfast. Yesterday she fainted during a 12pm lesson because she hadn't eaten. This morning, around 9am, she asked "should i have a cereal bar" (no breakfast) and I said "yeah, you don't want to faint agian". I am so worried for her but also I think this really affects me and really triggers me. Every time i try to recover, i think of how skinny she is and the lack of food she eats and it is SO TRIGGERING. She started eating the breakfast bar but later I looked in the bin and she put it in half-eaten. :frown:

I really wish she would eat more and I know it's not my place to force her but it is so so so horrible and I feel so guilty and bigger than her and I can't recover when surrounded by people that just don't eat.

Can I do anything to help her. and help myself too?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm worried about my friend. I don't know if it's an eating disorder or a side effect of her anxiety and depression. Pre-christmas holidays she told me to not mention anything about what she eats and also about her anxiety and depression. She's been opening up to me more recently - she's been telling me about the diets of the Friends cast (like Jennifer Aniston not having much for breakfast). It's rather triggering because I am trying to recover from anorexia myself. She's really small, not emaciated or anything, and seems so eat a normal-ish lunch (leftovers from dinner) and i presume a normal dinner. But she skips breakfast. Yesterday she fainted during a 12pm lesson because she hadn't eaten. This morning, around 9am, she asked "should i have a cereal bar" (no breakfast) and I said "yeah, you don't want to faint agian". I am so worried for her but also I think this really affects me and really triggers me. Every time i try to recover, i think of how skinny she is and the lack of food she eats and it is SO TRIGGERING. She started eating the breakfast bar but later I looked in the bin and she put it in half-eaten. :frown:

I really wish she would eat more and I know it's not my place to force her but it is so so so horrible and I feel so guilty and bigger than her and I can't recover when surrounded by people that just don't eat.

Hi there

This must be such an unimaginably conflicting situation for yourself. I would say that you should access eating disorder counselling support if you feel comfortable enough to do so.

It's hard to provide advice but with their special training they'd be in a better position to do so.

Take care and best wishes
Original post by Anonymous

I am no expert in this but I would advise on what I am guessing, that not eating is just because you don't want to be overweight Ig that's what anorexia is. The thing is that you need to know how to embrace everything it's not about u getting overweight but rather gathering energy for the day, you need to create such a diet where you are satisfied and which provide enough energy to go through day. Body's fuel is food, it's not about you looking overweight it's a compulsory process for human life. and about depression and anxiety ig everyone has it and need to find their way to get out cause they know the best what they can do maybe I'm wrong. take this with grain of salt

Quick Reply

Latest