The Student Room Group

March 2022 Cambridge Mature Colleges Round - Anybody?:-)

Hi guys,

is there any access to HE or other students who're participating in the second application round to Cambridge mature colleges in 2022 (undergraduate courses)?
I have only found similar threads from the previous years and I've applied for HSPS.

If so, have you submitted any of your current exemplar work or additional tutors' references yet? Would such a request from a college be indicative of a potential interview or is it a standard procedure for their admission process?

St Edmunds College states the deadline of the 8th of March, whilst Wolfson's has the 1st of March on their website.

I am obviously not intended to wait until the very last days of the deadline to submit the remaining documents, but it would still be helpful to know which is it? And of course, it would be great to know who else is in the same "smaller" Cambridge boat!:smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Olga from Volga
Hi guys,

is there any access to HE or other students who're participating in the second application round to Cambridge mature colleges in 2022 (undergraduate courses)?
I have only found similar threads from the previous years and I've applied for HSPS.

If so, have you submitted any of your current exemplar work or additional tutors' references yet? Would such a request from a college be indicative of a potential interview or is it a standard procedure for their admission process?

St Edmunds College states the deadline of the 8th of March, whilst Wolfson's has the 1st of March on their website.

I am obviously not intended to wait until the very last days of the deadline to submit the remaining documents, but it would still be helpful to know which is it? And of course, it would be great to know who else is in the same "smaller" Cambridge boat!:smile:

Hey there!
I'm also an access student who has applied for HSPS for the second round of applications. Nice to see somebody else here!

Do you have a preference for one of the colleges over the others?
I'm also a little unsure as to what to do about exemplar work. I assume if it's required after the SAQ, admissions will get in touch.
Hi guys,

Hi! allow me to clarify: the 1st March is the deadline to apply via UCAS, the 8th is the deadline to submit the Cambridge-specific questionnaire.
Original post by LivD01
Hey there!
I'm also an access student who has applied for HSPS for the second round of applications. Nice to see somebody else here!

I'm also a little unsure as to what to do about exemplar work. I assume if it's required after the SAQ, admissions will get in touch.

Once the college receives your UCAS application, they'll be in touch with more information about written work etc.
Reply 4
Original post by St Edmund's Admission
Once the college receives your UCAS application, they'll be in touch with more information about written work etc.

Thank you very much for your response :smile:
Does anyone know if international students (from the U.S.) applying to Cambridge mature colleges need to provide the 5 AP scores requirement for their UCAS application?
Original post by LivD01
Hey there!

Hi, indeed! I already thought no one would reply!:smile:

I have applied to St Edmunds college as I found them most cooperative in answering some of my queries earlier last year.

I have received the list of additional documentation they need for further assessment, including exemplar work and an additional reference from my tutor.
I have so far achieved distinctions on all of my assignments, so the intention is to submit the two of them.

Have you forwarded the SAQ? What is your access course?
Hi! allow me to clarify: the 1st March is the deadline to apply via UCAS, the 8th is the deadline to submit the Cambridge-specific questionnaire.

Hi St Edmund's Admission, thank you ever so much for the clarification.

Is there any time frame for receiving an interview invitation after that deadline, should the additional information be of the standard required?
Reply 8
Hi, indeed! I already thought no one would reply!:smile:

I have applied to St Edmunds college as I found them most cooperative in answering some of my queries earlier last year.

I have received the list of additional documentation they need for further assessment, including exemplar work and an additional reference from my tutor.
I have so far achieved distinctions on all of my assignments, so the intention is to submit the two of them.

Have you forwarded the SAQ? What is your access course?

Fear not, there is at least one other person!

St Edmunds definitely do seem to be very forthcoming with information which is encouraging . I personally applied for Wolfson :smile:

So far I have had no requests for additional info beside the SAQ which I have almost completed.

Currently I'm studying the Social Science course, also with every unit at distinction so far. I'll likely use sociology assignments as evidence.
Where else have you applied? Any offers yet?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by LivD01
Fear not, there is at least one other person!

St Edmunds definitely do seem to be very forthcoming with information which is encouraging . I personally applied for Wolfson :smile:

So far I have had no requests for additional info beside the SAQ which I have almost completed.

Currently I'm studying the Social Science course, also with every unit at distinction so far. I'll likely use sociology assignments as evidence.
Where else have you applied? Any offers yet?

I see, we also study Sociology as a major unit of the Humanities course. I am thinking of sending Politics and IR, as it's not widely taught on access courses and is an element of HSPS and possibly a social psychology essay.

Well done on all distinctions!:smile: How are you finding the course?
Yep, I've got the offers from Bristol uni, UWE, and the request for additional information from Bath. How about you?
Reply 10
I see, we also study Sociology as a major unit of the Humanities course. I am thinking of sending Politics and IR, as it's not widely taught on access courses and is an element of HSPS and possibly a social psychology essay.

Well done on all distinctions!:smile: How are you finding the course?
Yep, I've got the offers from Bristol uni, UWE, and the request for additional information from Bath. How about you?

Ah I see, that's interesting. There's one unit on government policy that I may send as it's the closest thing to a remotely political unit! Sending social psychology sounds totally reasonable too.

Thank you, same to you! I'm finding it rather enjoyable thank you, yourself?
Oooh very exciting, admittedly I know very little about UWE though. Assuming Cam is your ideal top choice?
I've got offers from Warwick and York, still waiting on Durham and Exeter.
Original post by LivD01
Ah I see, that's interesting. There's one unit on government policy that I may send as it's the closest thing to a remotely political unit! Sending social psychology sounds totally reasonable too.

Thank you, same to you! I'm finding it rather enjoyable thank you, yourself?
Oooh very exciting, admittedly I know very little about UWE though. Assuming Cam is your ideal top choice?
I've got offers from Warwick and York, still waiting on Durham and Exeter.

Oh, I'd base your choice on what you were most interested in, rather than what fits a perceived agenda.
The course is great but not without its challenges for sure, not everyone has managed to keep up with pressure and deadlines.
Haha, UWE is not in the Russell group, if that's what you mean, but it has a very interesting course, I have not seen elsewhere, namely Cybersecurity and Digital Forensics. I have additional interest and have researched this area.

Cambridge is the most challenging choice for sure, but fingers crossed!:smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Michelle0098
Does anyone know if international students (from the U.S.) applying to Cambridge mature colleges need to provide the 5 AP scores requirement for their UCAS application?

Hi, thanks for posting. Applicants would need to have met or be on track for the typical entrance requirements. 5 grades of 5 in relevant APs is one way to meet the requirements.
Hi St Edmund's Admission, thank you ever so much for the clarification.

Is there any time frame for receiving an interview invitation after that deadline, should the additional information be of the standard required?

Interviews will mostly be in the week commencing 28th March so most invitations will go out in the week commencing the 14th March.
Interviews will mostly be in the week commencing 28th March so most invitations will go out in the week commencing the 14th March.

Thanks again for the information provided.
Original post by LivD01
Hey there!

What have grades have you achieved so far on the access course? How many distinctions/merits/passes? And how many are you hoping to achieve?
Reply 16
Original post by kingkoking2
What have grades have you achieved so far on the access course? How many distinctions/merits/passes? And how many are you hoping to achieve?

So far only 12 credits have actually been completed, all of which I have received distinction in. Ideally, I'm hoping for distinction in every unit :smile:
Original post by LivD01
So far only 12 credits have actually been completed, all of which I have received distinction in. Ideally, I'm hoping for distinction in every unit :smile:

okay, well done! What is the standard offer for Access course student at Cambridge? Also, if you fall short of your conditional offer as a Cambridge mature student by a few distinctions do you think you could still gain entry?
Original post by kingkoking2
okay, well done! What is the standard offer for Access course student at Cambridge? Also, if you fall short of your conditional offer as a Cambridge mature student by a few distinctions do you think you could still gain entry?

Hey!

(I'm an Access to HE student who applied to Cambridge last year)

Prolly not the answer you were looking for but I think its 45/45 distinctions or nothing. I'm told they do make exceptions if you've just missed the offer but lets be real they aint doing that unless you have a really really really out of this world ace card hidden somewhere else on your application that compels them to let you in over someone who got 45/45 or stellar A-Levels/IB's.

Even if you do get 45/45 my advice would be to still try and write your application in a way that uses your "mature student" , "access course", and "industrial experience" tags to your advantage, because they really are advantages and the top universities agree they are (even though it sometimes may not seem so whilst you're doing your application).
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 2021HisPol
Hey!

(I'm an Access to HE student who applied to Cambridge last year)

Prolly not the answer you were looking for but I think its 45/45 distinctions or nothing. I'm told they do make exceptions if you've just missed the offer but lets be real they aint doing that unless you have a really really really out of this world ace card hidden somewhere else on your application that compels them to let you in over someone who got 45/45 or stellar A-Levels/IB's.

Even if you do get 45/45 my advice would be to still try and write your application in a way that uses your "mature student" , "access course", and

Thanks for the info. Did you get in? if you don't mind me asking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending