Studying Maths and Further Maths A level at the same time

Watch this thread
27amz
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey all,

I’m currently in year 12 studying Maths and Further maths A levels simultaneously, rather than doing Maths in the first year and Further Maths in the second (because that’s just the way my school does it).

If you studied these subjects in the same way, how did you cope with learning content in further maths that hasn’t yet been covered in maths? Did you have to self study content in maths in order to be able to learn the further maths content?
maisiem448
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by 27amz)
Hey all,

I’m currently in year 12 studying Maths and Further maths A levels simultaneously, rather than doing Maths in the first year and Further Maths in the second (because that’s just the way my school does it).

If you studied these subjects in the same way, how did you cope with learning content in further maths that hasn’t yet been covered in maths? Did you have to self study content in maths in order to be able to learn the further maths content?
Hi, I'm in Year 13 doing maths and further maths simultaneously. I self-studied some of the things but my teacher usually briefly went over the maths stuff in our further maths lessons to make sure we understood. Although because of the heavy workload of further maths it didn't seem like that much extra work to quickly go over some maths topics, but it was very annoying. Ive also found Pure maths lessons really boring this year, because I covered a lot of the content last year so it just feels like going back a year and going over really easy topics I've already covered.
I wouldn't say you need to self-study the maths content for your further maths lessons. Most people who do further maths are able to understand a lot of complex topics fairly quickly, so even if your teacher just goes over a few things from maths really briefly at the start of the lesson I'm sure you'll be fine. And if you don't understand it go over it again when you get home.
Good luck for the rest of the year!
Itsmikeysfault
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
My school did the same. Your teachers should teach it in a way such that none of the further maths topics you are doing rely on regular maths topics you haven't learnt yet . For example, matrices and proof by induction would be fine to teach but they wouldn't teach you polar coordinates until you have covered all of pure maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (41)
25.95%
As I expected (52)
32.91%
Harder (58)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.43%

Watched Threads