M2 - FRI Jan 21st (Edexcel) official thread! Watch

This discussion is closed.
BCHL85
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Dumb me! I changed my answer from right to wrong. So stupid I am, question about car and trailer. Lost 5 marks
MdSalih
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BCHL85)
Dumb me! I changed my answer from right to wrong. So stupid I am, question about car and trailer. Lost 5 marks
As long as your working is still there... and its still readable... the examiner (if in a good mood :P) will give you some marks for it.

MdSalih
BCHL85
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by MdSalih)
As long as your working is still there... and its still readable... the examiner will give you some marks for it.

MdSalih
Hic, but I crossed it out, Im sure they won't mark. Why could I change my mind in 1 second ?
BCHL85
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Questions I remember:

1) Statics... hinge with rod with string or whatever it was..
a) Show T = 5/6W
b) The magnitude of horizontal force... 2W/3

2)Centre of mass of the Lamina (rectangle with circle cut out)
a) Distance from left side - 10.7 cm
b) Hung from point A - angle to verticle... 25 degrees (to nearest degree)

3) The thing on inclined plane
a) Energy lost... 40.98 J -> 41.0 J (3sf)
b) coefficient of friction... bad memory

4) Given particle velocity.. and initial position vector as (-3i + 4j)
a) Find F at t = 4....... 5.01N
b) Displacement from O ... 72.4 or 78.6 or something in that region

5) Caravan being towed by car (mass: 1500kg and 1000kg respectively) (resistive force on car = 750N)
a) Show resistive force on caravan.. 1250 N
b) Guy hits breaks... 1500N as a result of breaks.. find Deceleration-- can't remember
c) The trust as a result -- can't remember
d) Work done in stopping vehicle in kJ -- can't remember

6) Two particles going towards each other
a) Show speed of second particle after collision was 1/5 * u * (9e +4)
b) range of e ... something like e > 2/3
c) Given impulse on Q = 32mu/5 (or something) find value of e... e=7/9

7) Projectile... starts at 20m above ground... projected at a speed (can't remember speed)
a) Find time to hit ground.. think i got something like 4.77 seconds
b) Horizontal distance from O to point of impact on ground.. 122m
c) Speed when the particle is at a point (B) 16m above ground... 33.2ms^-1
d) Angle the direction of motion made to horizontal at point (B).. 39.6 degrees.. (3sf)

Thats what I got

Paper wasn't that bad... easier then most past papers.

MdSalih
I agree.
5b) a = 1.4m/s^2 (my 1st answer).
T = 850N.
W = 335kJ
6) Range: 2/3<e<1.
cktlee1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
As long as your working is still there... and its still readable... the examiner (if in a good mood :P) will give you some marks for it.

MdSalih
I hope the examiner marking mine would be in a good blind mood, just mark everything correct even if it is out by a trillion...~

Oh by the way, how much mark do u reckon u will get if u got all the methods correct and all the answers wrong? would it be at least 40/75? I know that some questions dun have follow-through marks...thats bad =.=
MdSalih
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hic, but I crossed it out, Im sure they won't mark. Why could I change my mind in 1 second ?
They tell you to cross out with a single neat line for a reason.. so they can read anything you've crossed out to see if theres anywhere to give marks... shows that you can actually do the question, however at that point in time you decided to do something silly :P

But as you've crossed it out.. i doubt you'd get full marks for the question.. you'd get some method marks I would have thought.

MdSalih
BCHL85
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cktlee1)
I hope the examiner marking mine would be in a good blind mood, just mark everything correct even if it is out by a trillion...~

Oh by the way, how much mark do u reckon u will get if u got all the methods correct and all the answers wrong? would it be at least 40/75? I know that some questions dun have follow-through marks...thats bad =.=
Don't know. But I think I get about 68-70/75. Do u think it will be greater than 87%, my 1st for M2?
BCHL85
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
They tell you to cross out with a single neat line for a reason.. so they can read anything you've crossed out to see if theres anywhere to give marks... shows that you can actually do the question, however at that point in time you decided to do something silly :P

But as you've crossed it out.. i doubt you'd get full marks for the question.. you'd get some method marks I world have thought.

MdSalih
Thanks for give me a hope U r so kind
MdSalih
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cktlee1)

LOL - firstly thats a tad on impoossible side for all questions :P if you were in that situation... I reckon the examiner would pity you :P - talking "technically" method marks you'd get... hmm.. not sure if it'd stretch as far as 40/75 - would have thought it would have as actual final mark tend to be the odd couple of marks.. and you'd lose a few more where theres no f.t. so 35 marks may be a round enough number of marks to have lost.

MdSalih
kevins
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
can some please explain how they got 4.77 for the last question part A thnaks
BCHL85
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kevins)
Vertical motion of P: y = 20 + [email protected] - gt^2/2. (t = 0, P is at A which hA = 20m)
When P reaches C, y = 0 -> solve the quadratic equation to get positive value of t
MdSalih
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kevins)
u = 32sinθ
a = -9.8
s = -20
t = ?

using: s = ut + (1/2)at

You were given sinθ .. can't rememebr it..

you sub values in and you get t = 4.77 or t = -0.8...

disregard negative t.

MdSalih
Imaad
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
messed that one up really badly, got most of 6 rong got less then 2/3 in staeda of grater,, got a value for e greater then 1 , and think i mess ed up bbits of the trailer 1 and the last 1
MdSalih
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Imaad)
messed that one up really badly, got most of 6 rong got less then 2/3 in staeda of grater,, got a value for e greater then 1 , and think i mess ed up bbits of the trailer 1 and the last 1
I got e < 2/3 first time around... then i realised i forgot to switch the inequality sign the other way when i devided by the negative number... you probably forgot that too... :-/

MdSalih
dieeiervonsatan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Questions I remember:

a) Show T = 5/6W

5) Caravan being towed by car (mass: 1500kg and 1000kg respectively) (resistive force on car = 750N)
b) Guy hits breaks... 1500N as a result of breaks.. find Deceleration-- can't remember

7) Projectile... starts at 20m above ground... projected at a speed (can't remember speed)
d) Angle the direction of motion made to horizontal at point (B).. 39.6 degrees.. (3sf)

Thats what I got

Paper wasn't that bad... easier then most past papers.

MdSalih
Yeaaay I got exactly what you got on everything. Its just the car and trailer question parts c and d that I messed up.
cktlee1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Don't know. But I think I get about 68-70/75. Do u think it will be greater than 87%, my 1st for M2?
I think apparently January exams have many people whom resit it, and people told me that most of them would get very high marks...So the grade boundaries would be higher (or ums lower) ... But I am sure, if u get a raw score of 93%...thats pretty close for a 90% I would guess
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
a) Show T = 5/6W

Agreed.

Agreed. I think u was 0.673 or somewhere around there.

Concur with a. Can't remember b but i think it was something around there. It wasn't a clean fraction, that i remember.

(b) 1.4 i think. You considered the car and caravan together, as tension cancels.
(c) 850N IIRC. You considered only the car and the forces acting on it while acceleration stays the same.

This was not simply the work done in stopping the vehicle. It was the work done by the brakes in stopping the vehicle. The resistances also did some of the work. I can't remember my answer but you multiplied the KE loss by the proportion of the constant force that was the brakes.

Agreed

Agreed. The initial speed was 32.

Heh. I finished the paper in 40mins then asked for some spare so i could check all my answers. I did the paper twice then the invigilator made me attach my checking to the paper in case there was anything an examiner needed to clarify :rolleyes:
ThugzMansion7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I am soooooooooooooooooooo annoyed with myself...came out of the exam hall and I found out that all you had to do for 1a to find T was to 6/8 etc.....

Lost around 7 marks i think.....done B but not sure if i'll get all the 3 marks!

And for the last question i took s as +20 and got TWO +ve answers i was soo freaked out...anyways i know i did everything else correct just +20....hence i used the time to find out the rest of the answers to b and c and d i think....

Will i get ANY marks at all ?
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ThugzMansion7)
I am soooooooooooooooooooo annoyed with myself...came out of the exam hall and I found out that all you had to do for 1a to find T was to 6/8 etc.....

Lost around 7 marks i think.....done B but not sure if i'll get all the 3 marks!

And for the last question i took s as +20 and got TWO +ve answers i was soo freaked out...anyways i know i did everything else correct just +20....hence i used the time to find out the rest of the answers to b and c and d i think....

Will i get ANY marks at all ?
Put your mind at ease on 7.
You'll drop the marks on a but get method marks on b. c and d were seperate as it was a different position, so you'll still get the marks if you've dont it correctly.
ThugzMansion7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Gaz031)
Put your mind at ease on 7.
You'll drop the marks on a but get method marks on b. c and d were seperate as it was a different position, so you'll still get the marks if you've dont it correctly.
cool, how many marks would i have roughly got as i can't remember the indiv. marks!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (54)
25.96%
No (154)
74.04%

Watched Threads